Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2014 » AVG 2014 » Internet and Network » Why Have You Changed My Browser?
September 9, 2013 23:50 Why Have You Changed My Browser? #233543
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
GLSmyth

Novice
I am wondering why AVG has changed the default search engine of all of my browsers without my permission. When I clicked to restart my browsers following an update you not only lost my tab history and changed my search engine to AVG, but also changed the home page to the AVG search engine. Why was this done without asking me?

What other things have you changed without my knowledge or permission, or do I just need to find them myself?

George L Smyth
September 9, 2013 23:55 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #233544
GLSmyth

Novice
Why have you changed my browser without my permission?..

Follow-up:

It appears that you have also installed a toolbar to Firefox without my permission. I guess the search continues to determine how many other things you have done without my knowledge.

George L Smyth
September 10, 2013 04:29 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #233554
Flippio

Novice
Me too..

That's why I am here - it just auto-updated and hijacked all my browsers. I'm sure this will go over well...
September 11, 2013 13:26 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #233624
GLSmyth

Novice
With no answer forthcoming I am very concerned.

"A Browser Hijacker is a type of spyware or malware that replaces an existing internet browser page without the owner's consent, so that you are directed to web pages you did not intend to visit."

This is why I am in the process of removing AVG and replacing with Avira.

George L Smyth

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=233619#post_233619
September 11, 2013 16:41 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #233631
BIG AL 43

@ GLSmyth

'Information' forum area.. Have a look @ this Announcement post link AVG Product Management Wants To Hear From You & please complete the web form feedback.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 2, 2013 19:14 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #234535
madmax005

Novice
GLSmyth wrote
I am wondering why AVG has changed the default search engine of all of my browsers without my permission. When I clicked to restart my browsers following an update you not only lost my tab history and changed my search engine to AVG, but also changed the home page to the AVG search engine. Why was this done without asking me?

What other things have you changed without my knowledge or permission, or do I just need to find them myself?

George L Smyth

I'd SUGGEST paying attention when installing AVG !!!! most people don't............AVG does gives you all the options to " opt out" of their " extra" browser helpers / add-ons and related that cause these issues.............had you simply " unchecked" all the additional useless c**p from avg......you would NOT have any problems !!
October 6, 2013 08:11 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #234698
blueagle

Novice
update install it all over again - without permission..

Sorry but you are wrong.

When AVG Free was installed I made sure that nothing other than the AV was going to be installed.

I always do this with all "free" software.

AVG Free has updated - and installed the Nation software and settings without giving me any indication onscreen to stop it being installed.

Please don't say that it does, it may be that it's supposed to ask but ... it didn't with me when it updated.

Others here on the forums as well as elsewhere on the net are saying the same thing.

This AVG Nation is definitely acting as malware.

I've removed it from this PC previously - but the recent AVG Free AV update reinstalled it all over again - without permission.

But now it doesn't appear in the Control Panel etc so I can no longer get it uninstalled.

It may be that I will have to stop using AVG Free AV and go elsewhere - but in the meantime I'm still stuck with malware on this PC that AVG installed and I can't remove - even with their own removal tool. :angry:
October 6, 2013 16:58 Re: Why Have You Changed My Browser? #234715
madmax005

Novice
avg free installing garbage to your computer..

well......why do you think it's " free" ?? .........anything free is loaded with adware , extra c**p and programs.....that no one wants....that's how they make money.........NOT just " avg"....they all do it....

in any event , IF you DO upgrade to a real paid version , which is always the best thing to do.......... pay close attention !!! even the paid programs attempt to install additional garbage / browser add-ons and related " tool bars " etc etc...... that will serve no purpose ! and probably cause even more problems.......... ( so always make sure EVERYTHING is un-checked......)

:wink: