Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Update » I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out.
October 15, 2009 09:00 I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23415
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
lesgo

Novice
i cant open or update avg 8.5 free edition. whenever i open avg, it closes on its own. u can see that when opening avg, the upper part of the avg screen says that your components are working properly and are up to date. you can see the initializing component but no components are appearing on the screen and after a second it closes on its own. the avg icon located at the bottom right side of the screen. whenever i right click it, the open avg user interface and the update are grayed meaning it cannot be clicked, only the exit button can be click. i don't know if the avg 8.5 free version i'm using is already expired or there are virus in the computer. so can anyone tell me what's wrong with the avg please?

im using windows xp, avg free 8.5.0.401, i dont know the avg virus db because i cant open avg. i dont have any anti virus software or program except windows security center and avg 8.5 free version.
October 15, 2009 09:10 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23419
BIG AL 43

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

October 15, 2009 10:06 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23431
lesgo

Novice
lesgo wrote
i cant open or update avg 8.5 free edition. whenever i open avg, it closes on its own. u can see that when opening avg, the upper part of the avg screen says that your components are working properly and are up to date. you can see the initializing component but no components are appearing on the screen and after a second it closes on its own. the avg icon located at the bottom right side of the screen. whenever i right click it, the open avg user interface and the update are grayed meaning it cannot be clicked, only the exit button can be click. i don't know if the avg 8.5 free version i'm using is already expired or there are virus in the computer. so can anyone tell me what's wrong with the avg please?

im using windows xp, avg free 8.5.241, avg virus db 270.14.16/2435. i dont have any anti virus software or program except windows security center and avg 8.5 free version.
October 15, 2009 10:12 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23433
BIG AL 43

OK, You could try this.... Please follow the instructions found in this AVG 8.x Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions. For the re-installation section download & save the latest install file http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afe to your system.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

October 15, 2009 18:44 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23577
lesgo

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
OK, You could try this.... Please follow the instructions found in this AVG 8.x Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions. For the re-installation section download & save the latest install file http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afe to your system.

Alan

i've installed the avg remover, but it doesnt work. so i used the uninstall avg found in the start menu.

ive deleted avg in program files and in application data. installed avg 8.5 free version in the given website. and installed it into the system. but it still doesnt work. i dont know if there's such a virus that prevents me from opening avg.

the difference between yesterday and today is. yesterday there are no components visible in the avg user interface and is gray scale. right now i can see the components in the user interface, also there is a yellow triangular with a exclamation point in the logo of avg found in the lower right side of the screen. "you may not be protected, some components report n error" and the components such as anti virus and anti spyware is out to date. but after installing avg a box pop out saying updates are up to date, registration in internet, etc.

the new avg im using right now is 8.5.420 free version, im using windows xp, virus db is 270.14.4/2409.
October 15, 2009 18:58 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23581
dusano123

Please install AVG 9 Free instead of using the link Alan posted (sorry Alan but direct link for 9 is not fixed yet)

Download link (2nd file, not the manager).
http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afg#tba2
October 16, 2009 04:10 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23733
lesgo

Novice
dusano wrote
Please install AVG 9 Free instead of using the link Alan posted (sorry Alan but direct link for 9 is not fixed yet)

Download link (2nd file, not the manager).
http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afg#tba2

yea. i already downloaded and install the avg 9 free version . but same thing happens. it crashes. every time i open it, after a second it closes on its own. i open the avg and quickly press the scan computer, u can see a message box saying scan started then after a second scan is complete or stop. i turned off the windows firewall but same thing happens. after installing it i can see the components in the user interface, and that resident shield in not active and on the lower right side on the screen, u can see a yellow triangular box with exclamation point inside it inside the logo of avg. after restarting the computer the components in the interface are gone. when i press the scan computer nothing happens and when right clicking the logo of avg located at the bottom right side of the screen the words open user interface and update now are gray scaled.

windows xp, avg 9.0.686, avg db 270.14.14/2433
October 16, 2009 19:05 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #23939
dusano123

Please check if there are any files in folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\Dumps

Thanks
October 17, 2009 03:44 Re: I Can't Open Or Update AVG. Help Me Out. #24053
rdsok

The symptoms indicate an infection... try the following if possible...

Please read and follow the instructions in How To Clean An Infected Computer

If you can not download or update the utils on the infected system try downloading both the programs and their updates on another computer and then copy them to a CD, DVD or USB disk to use on the infected system.

If you do happen to find malware that AVG does not detect when cleaning the system, please follow these instructions What to do if you suspect a file, registry setting or website is infected and not currently detected by AVG

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....