Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2014 » AVG 2014 » [SOLVED] Ejecting USB Mass Storage
Page 1 of 6 1234››
September 16, 2013 21:03 [SOLVED] Ejecting USB Mass Storage #233830
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
walshrm

Novice
I cannot safely remove my external hard drive. I always get

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device. The application "avgwd" is preventing this device from being stopped. Close the application and then try to stop the device again.

No matter how long I wait or even if I have just plugged the device in and have not even opened it, I cannot successfully remove the USB drive.
September 16, 2013 22:41 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #233831
BIG AL 43

@ walshrm

In order to analyze your issue please provide more information (screenshot, MSInfo output, etc).

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 17, 2013 11:40 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #233844
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi walshrm,

We are aware of this situation and we are working on a fix which should be released in one of the following program updates.

Thanks.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 22, 2013 07:42 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234027
ariezee

Novice
did you guys figure it out yet?..

The application 'avgwd' is preventing this device from being stopped. Close the application and then try to stop the device again.
September 22, 2013 21:10 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234050
Robboj

Novice
ariezee wrote
did you guys figure it out yet?..

The application 'avgwd' is preventing this device from being stopped. Close the application and then try to stop the device again.

Err, yes we figured it out over a week back.
The problem is that it appears that the processes in question cannot be stopped / access is denied. So if you have any idea of how to stop the process please inform us here. Thanks

AVG!!! where is the promised update to fix the problem???
It was promised that an update from v4117 would be available in a few days. A few means three, not over a week. LOL baringteeth
September 22, 2013 22:13 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234052
Mrshoujo

Novice
Also having this annoying problem..

After "upgrading" to AVG Free 2014, I have a 1TB external drive (using XP Home SP3 btw) that now shows up as Drive F: instead of E: as it's supposed to. And instead of saying it's my Expansion Drive, it says Generic USB Storage Device when it tosses up the problem of not being able to eject it due to a process still accessing the drive. Process Explorer does not return a handle when I search for F:, and after being told it's the AVG Watchdog Service, that makes it really annoying. I found a setting that tells AVG Free not to scan the boot sector of removable devices, so I turned that off since my system does not automatically open USB drives when plugged in.

My system now has a delay in having USB drives appear in My Computer when first plugged in. Also I want to remove the "Shred content with AVG" option on the Recycle Bin. I do not want this option, and nothing in the "upgrade" said this would be added!!

Oddly enough, I do not have problems ejecting smaller USB drives. I have a 16GB drive with 2 drives on it that should show up as E: and F: but now they show up as E: and G: and they take A LONG TIME to show up in My Computer, but at least I appear have no problem ejecting this drive. I have a new USB 3.0 1 TB Drive I will not try connecting as long as this problem exists - I would prefer going back to AVG Free 2013 instead of putting up with this nonsense.

Also there's a delay in the system playing the USB Device Removed sound when unplugging some drives.

When an update is issued to fix this problem, please try to somehow let users know this update is coming out to hopefully fix this major problem. And please stop adding "features" without the ability to opt out of them.

ADDITONAL:
After being able to set AVG Watchdog to Manual and then being unable to set it back to Automatic (Access Denied notification), I rebooted my system to see what changed.

1. My computer boots up as fast as it had while previously it was taking longer after AVG Free 2014 went in, but with AVG Watchdog set to manual, the AVG Free user interface can't tell what's active when you check it. Important that you check to see if AVG Free knows about itself.

2. Go run Services.msc, and tell it to start AVG Watchdog.

3. Go back into AVG Free user interface, and on the Computer part, click on it and tell it to Enable protection, because now it can tell you what components are supposed to be installed but now Computer protection will be turned off.

4. The result: USB drives, even my 1TB external, now come up fast and eject as expected, even though the 1TB still shows up as Drive F:.

This whole thing is a pain in the butt though for most users.

Sounds like to me the Watchdog service is too aggressive in the 2014 version or not being started at the right point during bootup. I would expect it to start after the icon on the taskbar comes up.

Spoke too soon
It grabbed onto my 1TB external again. Grr....
September 23, 2013 05:45 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234059
Johnes22

Novice
Upgraded to 2014, now cannot eject my USB drives..

When will a fix be released? Waking my computer up from sleep means that no new USB drives are seen, existing ones cannot disconnect.

A timeout (60000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the avgwd service.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume2\PROGRA~2\AVG\AVG2014\avgrsa.exe with process id 752 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB
September 23, 2013 06:43 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234061
Climbtheplanet

Novice
Computer and external hard drive crash..

Today the 2014 update installed for the AVG free version and after I did a backup to an external hard drive it would not eject. Nothing that I could do would make it eject so I had to just unplug it. Then indie the system restart and my system hangs on the black screen after the windows logo and before I can click on a user. Doing a safe mode boot hangs on avgidsha.sys AND my hard drive is not reading on another computer so the AVG has apparently crashed my computer and my backup!!!!

I have found threads that talk about a recovery CD but they also say it is an old problem and not relevant so I don't know what to do. I was trying to back up very important data and now AVG has robbed me of both my computer and its hard drive and my backup! Please help!

I'm running a Sony viao with 4gb ram and windows 7 64 bit.
My external is a 1 tb Iomega ego.

Edit.. Please refrain from carrying out multiple postings.. http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=234062.

image.jpg
September 25, 2013 13:21 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234171
Master_Kaina

Novice
AVG "currently up-to-date" ...

I see I am not the only person with this problem. My USB drive is unable to eject as I am typing this. I even disabled AVG temporarily & that still did not do the trick. I see a reply was posted saying AVG is aware of this problem & that an update will fix it so I hope it is made a priority because this can be a serious issue. I am now either going to try & stop all of the AVG processes running or completely shut-down my laptop before manually removing my USB which should not be necessary. At least AVG could have told us a temporary solution of how to stop the 'avgwd' application so that we could remove our devices rather than just the general statement of the fix being included in some unknown future update. disappointed

I've heard a lot of bad criticism towards AVG from professionals but in the past I have always been satisfied by this product. However, the 2014 version is not as good & reminds me of how Microsoft keeps getting worse with Windows! Lol! tounge

If this continues I will have to uninstall AVG & find my new favorite!

"Antivirus systems only effectively work on a virus after given virus has passed its prime." - Edward A. Murphy
AVG.PNG
September 25, 2013 17:42 Re: Ejecting USB Mass Storage #234179
SystemEng

Novice
External Drive Code 22..

After failing to eject my external drive safely, my device manager is throwing a code 22 device failure and will not allow me to open or install the external drive. The drive still works on my laptop with AVG 2013 installed.

THIS IS A MAJOR HARDWARE BUG IN 2014 AND COULD DAMAGE MY DATA DRIVE.
YOU STATED IN ANOTHER POST THAT IT WOULD BE FIXED IN A FEW DAYS OVER A WEEK AGO.

IMO, you should STOP all 2014 downloads until this is fixed. It is hazardous to my data and my hardware.
Page 1 of 6 1234››