Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge!
May 8, 2013 15:54 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228839
Geaunae

Novice
Pokornyz wrote
Hello all,

For help on your issue please try reinstalling AVG Toolbar using latest installer.

Thank you

This option doesn't work - tried three times using both IE and Firefox.
Running the file AVGSecureSearchInstaller.exe generates an error:

CloudInstaller
An internal error has happened.
The installer will be closed now.
May 9, 2013 02:48 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228862
Krissaev

Novice
Replace the toolbar_log.txt file.
1°. Create new file one *.txt and rename to toolbar_log
2°. Left click on toolbar_log.txt, then right click in properties
3°. Tick the box "read only" and apply
4°. Copy paste in folder and replace file, it now stops growing and have 0 kb.
5°. Disable AVG toolbar in your browser

Good luck! :wink:
May 9, 2013 04:17 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228865
untech

Novice
Nobodyz post on May 2, 2013 was extremely helpful! My 79 year old mother has an old computer with 2 hard drives (only 75 GB each). Her C Drive had less than 21 mb suddenly. I live far away, but typically can help her with Teamviewer. I had her move a couple files to Dropbox, so that she could get Teamviewer to run so I could go in and fix this. I had to move more folders to her D drive, then delete AVG, then delete the toolbar_log.txt file (massive over 26 GB). Installed Avast as a quick fix because I am unsure whether it has something to do with her ancient computer and software, or AVG. Her "computer guy" will probably reinstall, and I will have to endure this 2.5 hour nightmare again. Unfortunately, I cannot be helpful about the version of AVG, had a hard time just getting this to work. AVG please fix this issue.
May 9, 2013 22:13 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228901
Ganesh1808

Novice
AVG toolbar_log file keeps on growing..

Step 1
Navigate to C:\Users\<user account name>\AppData\Local\Temp
In Run - %temp%

Step 2
Delete the File toolbar_log

Step 3
Launch IE,Chrome
A new file called toolbar_log will get created, change the attribute of the file to Read-Only ( after that it won't grow)

Step 4
Reboot and check

May 10, 2013 07:33 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228918
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello all,

In order to analyze your issue we need more information (AVG Security Toolbar Version and Msinfo output).

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 11, 2013 08:55 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228969
MarcNL

Novice
@Pokornyz

Tell me where to send the info.

I have the toolbar info, ms info (zipped) and the toolbar_log (zipped).
A total of ±320 KB.

@All
The solution of deleting the file and make the new one asap read only worked for me.
May 11, 2013 10:41 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228973
BIG AL 43

MarcNL wrote
Tell me where to send the info.

Have a look @ this link How To Provide Forum Moderators With Files.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 12, 2013 07:07 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228990
antiviralguy

Novice
My "solution"..

I have the same issue, toolbar_log.txt keeps reappearing, the last time it reached 7GB in size...

I figured out the read-only "trick" myself, but the problem is that I need to empty the Temp folder from time to time, since this folder is basically a system-operated Recycle Bin that fills up and that's supposed to be emptied.

When I do empty the Temp folder, however, I click "yes" and "ok" on all queries since I cannot inspect every single file out of hundreds that are deleted. Consequently, toolbar_log.txt is deleted every single time and automatically recreated by AVG as a writeable file and the file as a result immediately starts growing uncontrollably again.

So, in addition to making it read-only, I've now edited the security settings for the file in order to disable all traditional write access, whether automatic or through dialogues.

To do this, simply open up the file properties box, select the Security tab, click the Advanced button, click the Change Permissions button, then click the Edit button for SYSTEM/Administrators/Users (in turn, of course) and check the "Full Control" box under the Deny column in order to deny all access to the file by that particular user group (this should make all Deny entries checked), then click OK.

Windows will probably notify you that deny permissions take precedence over allow permissions, since this will create a second permission entry for that user group rather than replace the old one. In order to restore full access to the file, simply delete these three "Deny" permission entries that you've created for SYSTEM, Administrators and Users respectively. The three "Allow" entries cannot be removed, so there's no risk that you will screw up anything by mistake. Only the added "Deny" entries can be removed this way...
May 13, 2013 01:30 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #229007
Frank675

Novice
One solution..

i followed avg advice and downloaded 2013 version. It did not help.

So i changed the file to a "read only" and it stopped growing. Performance is slowed though.
May 14, 2013 14:37 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #229091
POcust

Novice
Pokornyz wrote
Hello all,

I would like to let you know that your situation was transferred to our development.

We will keep you informed in this thread as soon as our developers investigate the situation further.

Thank you

kw 82001

I find it amusing to be replying in May 2013 to a post from an AVG team member issued back in January 2012. I had a perfectly well functioning earlier edition of AVG free running in my wife's computer, and then I decided to upgrade to the 2013 release. BIG mistake! That's when my fun with the 4 GB "toolbar_log.txt" file began. Following the forum advice to change it to read only did stop it from growing, but the drive was still spinning endlessly, which usually smacks of trouble. It occurred to me that perhaps AVG free was still trying to write to the file and getting refused -- continually of course. So I blew away the internet security toolbar (which fortunately was a separately removable component in my Add/Remove programs menu) and the problem was completely gone. Drive quieted right down, computer was back to normal speed, etc (Pentium4, 2 GHz XP o/s).

But then my new "improved" 2013 edition of AVG wouldn't scan emails for viruses anymore, allegedly because my email client was using SSL. I patiently followed AVG's instructions to set up an unencrypted path manually but that didn't work out. Trying to get any assistance was a fruitless endeavor to -- seems like the stock response from most AVG links is "Upgrade to 2013, and buy our new Pro edition". Now please understand, I don't use AVG because I'm too cheap. I use it because I tried installing a paid "pro" version years ago and went through similar aggravating hitches and runarounds. In fact that's why I've stayed away from most paid AVs over the years -- they tend to be bloated chrome laden system hogs when all I wanted was simple, basic, and efficient. AVG free did the job well (for awhile) so why fix what ain't broke. But I'm not about to invest in their next step up if they can't make their entry level product work, so thanks but no thanks for the offer to purchase "full" 2013 protection.

So I tried to revert to the previous edition. Good luck with that. It had been a fairly old release, but updated periodically over the years, so it was still supported and running well. Wish I knew what exact vintage it was, but it's blown away and too late now. But all that is moot, because just try and get an earlier release out of AVG. Type an earlier version number in Google and up comes AVG's website -- which promptly offers you the choice of 2013 or 2013. Linking to any earlier versions in the search engine appears to be just a comeon.

The only site that actually had earlier releases was filehippo.com, but download speed on an 80 MB package from them was 15 KB/s, and of course the download aborted after the first 15 MB. I even tried calling AVG telephone support and basically got the same party line -- that I really should upgrade to paid version. Well sorry guys -- my trust in your product has already hit rock bottom. I mean -- 16 months and this toolbar_log.txt bug is still with us? And email virus scanning on an SSL email client that has worked fine in all previous versions now quits in the "improved" edition and even the manual intervention instructed by AVG doesn't work? (And BTW, the instructions are written for the 2012 GUI).

Afraid I'm voting with my feet and looking for another AV manufacturer altogether. But instead of just bad mouthing AVG to everyone I meet, I thought I'd at least try and do you the courtesy of letting you know how very frustrating it has been trying to deal with your company and why this potential customer is walking. Too bad really -- the free version used to be fairly decent. If you could just clean up the rest of your act I'd gladly be one of your paying customers -- on all 6 of my various computers.

Thank you

DS