Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 9/8.5 Free Editions » AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File
Page 1 of 2 12››
April 12, 2013 10:20 AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #227697
aardvark_65

Novice
Due to a hard disk crash, I have to reinstall Windows (XP Pro SP3) and all my software, including AVG 9.0 free. Using another PC I have downloaded avg_free_stf_all_90_930a4914.exe, which I think is the latest version of AVG 9.0. I also wish to download the latest full virus definitions file, since I only have dialup internet at home and I wish to avoid a huge virus definitions download the first time I run AVG after the reinstall. The other PC I am currently using has access to broadband, so downloading the full virus definitions file won't be a big deal.

However I'm finding it very difficult to find the appropriate download web page. I eventually ended up at https://www.avg.com.au/download/updates/, but it says that I should go to the AVG free advisor website for program updates. When I go there, I eventually end up back at https://www.avg.com.au/download/updates/.

Can I use the Iavi:6239 file from that page with AVG 9.0 free?
April 12, 2013 10:56 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #227699
BIG AL 43

@ aardvark_65

Have a look @ the Announcement post link AVG 9/8.5 Free Editions - Summary which is actually situated directly above where you posted. The latest update info is shown within.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 7, 2013 10:29 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #228801
aardvark_65

Novice
I downloaded the full virus definitions file from the AVG 9/8.5 Free Editions - Summary thread (Iavi:6239 April 11th), and updated AVG from it. When I connected to the internet and did a "normal" update, it did a program update but not a definitions update. When I tried to do another update it said there were no new updates available.

I have tried again today (about a week after reinstalling AVG and doing the above updates), and it still says "no new update files are available". Hence I now have a virus database that is nearly a month old. I just checked the summary thread, and I see that there is a file Iavi:6305 May 7th. However since I only have dialup internet, I don't want to try to download a 70MB file.

Virus DB is 3164.1.1/6239, AVG version is 9.0.932. I use Zonealarm 7.0.483.000 and Spybot Teatimer 1.6.0.30.

avgupd.log file is attached
May 7, 2013 12:34 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #228803
BIG AL 43

aardvark_65 wrote
The other PC I am currently using has access to broadband, so downloading the full virus definitions file won't be a big deal

You could always download the Iavi: 6305 file onto a USB stick & update the AVG virus database manually. For your info.. Spybot TeaTimer.. You should really only have 1 residential real time protection on your system i.e. AVG. Spybot S&D has a feature called TeaTimer. If this is enabled it can affect the installation of AVG. The later versions of Spybot S&D have TeaTimer enabled by default. To disable TeaTimer you must switch it to the Advanced mode and go into the Resident area of the settings... To check bring up Spybot S&D->Mode->Advanced mode->Tools->(Double Click)Resident->(Disable)TeaTimer. I assume that your ZoneAlarm is just the firewall only & not combined with an anti-virus?.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
May 7, 2013 14:27 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #228806
aardvark_65

Novice
Unfortunately I no longer have regular access to the broadband PC - that was a temporary arrangement. Hence I really need to get "differential" updates working again on my PC - in the past they have worked OK. And yes, my ZoneAlarm is the free version, with firewall only.

I’ve had TeaTimer resident on my system for several years, without any problems with AVG. I like to have it resident because it warns me if software tries to make changes to important areas of the registry, e.g. system startup user entries, and gives me a chance to deny the change.
May 7, 2013 15:24 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #228808
BIG AL 43

aardvark_65 wrote
I've had TeaTimer resident on my system for several years

Since AVG is both an anti-virus & anti-spyware utility if you carry out a forum search on TeaTimer you'll see for yourself that it's quite definitely not recommended by the AVG Team!

Alan
May 9, 2013 11:50 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #228885
aardvark_65

Novice
As suggested I searched on "TeaTmer" in the forums, and amongst others found http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=8341#post_8341., about disabling TeaTimer before installing AVG

When doing the reinstall after the hard disk crash, I installed AVG and updated it from the full definitions file I had previously downloaded, before I installed Spybot/TeaTimer. I had installed TeaTimer before doing the first differential update - and even that did program updates, but not definitions updates.

I have just tried disabling TeaTimer and rebooting, making sure that TeaTimer wasn't running. I tried another differential update, and it still says that there are no new updates. Hence I am convinced that TeaTimer isn't causing this particular problem - and I never had any problems with TeaTmer and AVG before the hard disk crash.
May 10, 2013 04:18 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #228909
aardvark_65

Novice
I was at a friend's place a couple of days ago, so I downloaded the full virus definitions file using his broadband onto a USB stick. Leaving my dialup running overnight last night, I (eventually) downloaded all the other files (Ichjw:4, Windows x32:3162, Windows x32:2904) except link scanner, which I don't use. Putting them in the same directory as the full virus definitions file, I did another manual update. However it only updated the virus definitions, so it would seem that I already have the other updates in my system. I confirmed it by removing the virus definitions file from that directory and trying to update again from the directory - "no new update files are available".

Hence it would appear that my AVG is fully up to date, except for the (now 2 day old) virus definitions. I tried another "normal" (i.e. differential) update from the main AVG window, and again it said "no new update files are available" - there should have been virus updates, since the virus definitions file I downloaded is now 2 days old.

And during all this, I still have TeaTimer disabled.

I need to get differential updates working again, as I can't rely on visiting friends with broadband often enough to keep my AVG up to date.

Has anyone any ideas?
May 16, 2013 14:03 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #229193
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello aardvark_65,

For help on your issue you can try "Delete temporary update files" and disabling "DNS update".

In order to analyze please provide us with newupdate log files and MSinfo output.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 17, 2013 09:48 Re: AVG 9.0 Full Virus Definitions File #229217
aardvark_65

Novice
I tried deleting the temporary update files and disabling DNS update, but unfortunately it didn't help - I still get "no new update files are available".

Hence I ran msinfo32. However it locks up when I save the msinfo32.nfo file - the progress bar gets to the end, but it freezes on "refreshing system information" for drivers, and I eventually had to end msinfo32 with task manager. It has created a nfo file, but when I double clicked on it it said it was corrupt or an unrecognised version, and it just started msinfo32 normally. Hence I did a file, export, and created a txt file as well - that worked O.K. Hopefully you can get the info you need from one of them.

I am attaching a zip file containing msinfo32.nfo, msinfo32.txt and avgupd.log. I have password protected it with the suggested password.

One thing I noticed with all my tests - I was only able to update the AVG version from 9.0.930 to 9.0.932 with a differential update - when I downloaded all the "full" update files (Iavi:6317, Ichjw:4, Windows x32:3162 and Windows x32: 2904) and updated with "tools, update from directory", it only updated the virus definitions. Should I be able to update the AVG version from the full update files?

AVG version is now 9.0.932, virus DB 3164.1.1/6317. Teatimer is still disabled.
Page 1 of 2 12››