Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2013 » AVG 2013 » Internet and Network » Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week
May 1, 2013 04:37 Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #228591
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Kaelkitty

Novice
Hello,
I would like some help please. I've looked at the On-line Manual, the FAQs, and the previous Forum Posts but I think I need some individual help.

I am running MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2.
My system is a Dell Optiplex 745 with 2.00 GB DDR2 RAM.
The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 running at 1.86 Mhz.
(I am aware that it is an antique, but it is still well above the listed system requirements for AVG Free 2013)

I have AVG Free version 2013.0.3272 with virus database 3162/6287, toolbar version 14.2.0.1, and LinkScanner 1646 - as far as I know, these are the current versions as I autocheck for program and database updates daily.

I have no other currently installed antivirus or protection software installed and I am not using Windows Firewall. I have used AVG Free exclusively since somewhere around the time of Version 8.

The process vprot.exe is, as I type, causing my CPU usage to bounce from around 20% to 60% around once a second and to overheat (70C).

My total RAM usage is "stuck" above 90%.

Windows Task Manger gives the following information:
Working Set Memory: 12,426K Peak Working Set Memory: 41,508K Private Working Set Memory: 9,104K Commit Size: 328,836K !! Paged Pool: 1,337K.

The System has been up for 98 Hours but this is normal for me as it is an always-on system which is my primary production machine. It seem the longer I leave it on the worse it is getting. I have crashed firefox twice in the last hour or so and that is normally VERY stable for me. I keep getting a popup message on the screen that my memory is low, and it advises me to close vprot.exe. I have no other programs running right now except for 4 Notepad files.

I would prefer NOT to have to remove the AVG Toolbar (as was suggested elsewhere in questions relating to this issue) as I usually have my browser in full screen mode and I use that toolbar for quick access to Facebook, Weather, and other things, as well as for the safe search and do not track options (see attached JPG)

I would very much appreciate some help in this matter.

Yours Sincerely,
MS Jacq Felis.

Browser Header.JPG
May 8, 2013 14:59 Re: Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #228835
MiketheTaxi

Novice
Vprot.exe Problems..

Hello, I have also been having this problem, together with toolbar_log.txt getting too big. I have found that by disabling vprot.exe from the startup process (I used AVG PCtuneUp to do this), I am no longer suffering from high CPU usage, and toolbar_log.txt is only a couple of KB big. I still have use of AVG Secure Search in the IE search bar.
May 10, 2013 17:36 Re: Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #228956
BIG AL 43

@ Kaelkitty

Have a look @ Weekly Overview: 17/2013.. VProtect Application. Subscribe to this RSS feed if you want to be notified about new Weekly Overviews.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 11, 2013 01:56 Re: Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #228961
Kaelkitty

Novice
Thanks to BIG AL 43..

I have followed your instructions, or at least I think so!

I clicked on the link provided and followed that to
"What is VProtect Application and vprot.exe" which led to "Open the AVG Secure Search website, and then click Free Download."

This is where I got rather confused, as there was no button saying "Free Download" but many multiple buttons saying "Download" with prices attached to them. I spent quite a long time fishing about in various menus to eventually find an option to Download AVG Free 2013 which I did because I couldn't find anything related just to the toolbar alone. Upon running this download, I was presented with an option to "Repair" (among others) which I took - I am not entirely sure this was the correct option in my case but the system does seem to be running a bit more smoothly since I restarted it about an hour ago. .

I will leave the system up overnight and check tomorrow to see what my RAM and CPU usage figures are like, then I will report back. If this turns out to be a good fix, hopefully it may help others.

Bye for now,
Kaelkitty.
May 16, 2013 09:26 Re: Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #229170
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Kaelkitty,

If you will be still experiencing some difficulties please provide us with Msinfo output.

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 17, 2013 00:06 Re: Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #229203
Kaelkitty

Novice
MsInfo Output..

Hi,
Things are somewhat better, as I have not crashed Firefox since I did the fix. However, I have still received a couple of low memory messages, so I am attaching the log files you requested yesterday to this post,
Ciao, KK.
May 17, 2013 08:06 Re: Vprot.exe Is Suddenly Causing Problems This Week #229211
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Kaelkitty,

According to provided output it seems everything is fine, I just recommend you uninstall all unused programs.

I have still received a couple of low memory messages

In case you receive such message you can check what is using that memory in Task manager.

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support