Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge!
April 28, 2013 20:45 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228463
ipigy

Novice
16GB toolbar_log file..

Not a typo, (16GB) Sixteen Gigabyte toolbar_log file.

I had a user contact me this morning describing symptoms of their primary HD being full (which is a 120GB SSD)

It took me a few minutes to track down what was consuming the space.

The toolbar_log file sucked every last byte of space left. 0 bytes free on primary disk.

I renamed the 16GB file & watched it re-create itself rapidly increasing in size.

If this has been a known issue why hasn't a catch been implemented within the program to prevent this exact problem.
April 30, 2013 21:51 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228585
et3rae

Novice
ipigy wrote
16GB toolbar_log file..

I had a user contact me this morning describing symptoms of their primary HD being full (which is a 120GB SSD)

The toolbar_log file sucked every last byte of space left. 0 bytes free on primary disk.

I renamed the 16GB file & watched it re-create itself rapidly increasing in size.

If this has been a known issue why hasn't a catch been implemented within the program to prevent this exact problem.

Had to register just to say my toolbar_log.txt file was 21.2GB in size. This should be resolved by now...
May 1, 2013 11:04 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228593
gmit2

Novice
I have encountered the same problem at my place. Win8 and Chrome.
May 2, 2013 04:21 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228625
nobodyz

Novice
Partial Solution to toolbar_log.txt menace..

I too, have had warnings that I suddenly only had 20 MB of space left on my hard drive. I'm sad to say I uninstalled many programs to make space. All for a menace that wannabe geeks play with as a toy: a text file (.txt) that continually fills until it runs out of space ... your hard drive's space.

The first warning I got that there was a space problem (but I didn't realize that's what it was) was while running Mozilla Firefox, AVG suddenly started popping up telling me that Firefox was using "too much memory" and the too much memory was all of 456 MB. That's not too much memory when you have an 80 gb hard drive that's only half full. And dual core, and Pentium 4 and 3 gigs of ram, etc.

The second warning I got was "you are running out of disk space on C drive: 20 MB left". Wow. What is a regular computer user to do with that? Even one of my geekier friends LOST HIS ENTIRE COMPUTER to this because it filled up until the computer froze. And I told him to trust AVG. disappointed

So: here's my solution, step by step:

1) First thing I did was to uninstall the AVG toolbar, since the huge file I found was called toolbar_log.txt and you'd think that would do it. In fact, immediately after uninstalling it, the toolbar_log.txt file disappeared....only to crying reappear and begin filling. THAT got my attention as after throwing it in the recycle bin and watching it reappear I began to see the numbers going up like the numbers go when you fill your car with gas: yes, that fast. (On most Windows systems you can only see the "numbers" i.e. the size of the file if you are viewing files in the DETAILS view. Go to View, and choose "Details" not the others which are Thumbnails, icons, list, etc.)

2) Found the cause in AVG's files in the following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp

If you have this problem, you can find it there too. To temporarily free up space to work, just throw out the file called toolbar_log.txt. It's huge, mine was 26,550,513 KB!! That's 26 million folks. And it's a .txt file which are normally some of the smallest files on the computer.

Anyway, throw it out to temporarily gain space.
Since uninstalling the AVG Search tool bar doesn't stop it, I downloaded a copy of Avast! (another good free anti-virus program) then I went offline.
I uninstalled AVG.
I rebooted, I ran other scans (Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster in my case), cleared my system restore files (personal choice you don't have to do that though I don't know which system restores might contain the dreaded toolbar_log.txt menace.)

Then I defragmented the hard drive, installed Avast! antivirus (the free version, though you have to start the full computer scan you can't schedule it) ran it and it found a nasty trojan AVG missed. But only one. And I've got way more than one hard drive to check.

After that, no toolbar_log.txt.
Right now: No AVG 2013 free = no toolbar_log.txt menace.

I don't know what the hold up is for a security program to get rid of a menace like this but I find it a bit consternating. I hope AVG gets it's act together and now that they know what it is (you all already told them that) and WHERE it is, and the process so they can duplicate it, maybe they'll fix it. In the meantime I'm forced to use Avast! because I won't stay with a security program that is breached this badly for over 4 months with no solution. And, to be fair, after at least 8 years of using and relying on AVG for all my computers, this is the FIRST time anything this wild has happened and gone unresolved for so long. Come on AVG, show off your stuff and fix this!

For AVG or other trouble shooters, this is my system:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

DirectX 9.0c

Intel(r) Pentium(R) 3000mHz (2 Cores)
1015mb system memory
Intel Corporation Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset,
128mb video mem
May 2, 2013 04:27 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228626
nobodyz

Novice
et3rae wrote
ipigy wrote
16GB toolbar_log file..

Had to register just to say my toolbar_log.txt file was 21.2GB in size. This should be resolved by now...

YES! This should be resolved by now. What is the hold up, AVG? It's a .txt file, the name of which is all over these posts. If you guys can't find it in a windows search go to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp. It's right there.
May 4, 2013 16:38 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228717
dstroke

Novice
There is a straightforward fix for this issue. Just uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar in your Control Panel, Add Remove Programs.

You can then delete the log file that is being created. You will probably also see a significant increase in speed with your pc as the log file was also creating cpu lag.

As for the reason what the AVG file was doing is beyond me and totally unnecessary.

This is relevant for previous and earlier releases of AVG.
May 6, 2013 00:02 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228765
Spoke101

Novice
You guy's are lucky mine hit 110GB !!!!!!
May 6, 2013 07:54 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228768
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi guys,

We are sorry to hear that this issue reappeared.

Could you please send us the version of AVG toolbar (click the arrow icon next to the AVG button in the toolbar and click the About) as well as the Msinfo Output for closer analysis?

Thanks.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 6, 2013 21:07 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228788
nobodyz

Novice
dstroke wrote
There is a straightforward fix for this issue. Just uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar in your Control Panel, Add Remove Programs.

You can then delete the log file that is being created. You will probably also see a significant increase in speed with your pc as the log file was also creating cpu lag.

As for the reason what the AVG file was doing is beyond me and totally unnecessary.

This is relevant for previous and earlier releases of AVG.

I did this. I uninstalled the AVG Toolbar in Uninstall Programs, threw the toolbar_log.txt file in the recycle bin and WATCHED as it reappeared in the same location:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp
the file name is: toolbar_log.txt.

The only way I could get rid of that was to completely unistall AVG.
Serious issue as it forces me to leave AVG for Avast!

I am on a Windows XP Home Edition computer where I can actually access that folder. I've been told that Windows 7 users cannot get to anything called Documents and Settings folder because it is hidden now; even to Administrators.
frowning
May 6, 2013 21:13 Re: Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge! #228789
nobodyz

Novice
_malchys_ wrote
Hi guys,

We are sorry to hear that this issue reappeared.

Could you please send us the version of AVG toolbar (click the arrow icon next to the AVG button in the toolbar and click the About) as well as the Msinfo Output for closer analysis?

Thanks.

I really wish I could help out, but this "bug" filled my hard drive to the point where I had only 20 MB of space left on it. I had to uninstall the whole thing. For step by step process of what I did, just follow my username for the last 3 posts before this one. Hope it helps you guys as AVG has been not only reliable for me but for all friends and family I have for many years now! I'd like to have it back like that, but cannot currently recommend because this issue is still hanging on. Good luck and thank you AVG for continuing to look into it.