Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG for Linux » System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify
March 14, 2013 12:10 System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #225992
pkaramol

Novice
Working on 3.5.0-25-generic #39~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 26 00:11:13 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[I don't know how to retrieve info about virus db]

After enabling on access scan with Fanotify (since I am on 3.5.0-25), and setting protection for /home folder, when saving virus samples from http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/ under my home folder (e.g. /home/pantelis/Downloads) the system hangs to the point of needing manual restart.

How do I DISABLE on access scan?

On another note (I don't know if it is related) when trying to execute some of the scripts that come with avg, I get the following errors (I include the respective output of find command that indicates that the libs marked as missing are actually there.

./avgavid: error while loading shared libraries: libavgsys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo find / -name libavgsys.so
/opt/avg/av/lib/libavgsys.so
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo ./avgcfgctl
./avgcfgctl: error while loading shared libraries: libavgsys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo ./avgctl
./avgctl: error while loading shared libraries: libavgcomm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo find / -name libavgcomm.so
/opt/avg/av/lib/libavgcomm.so
March 14, 2013 14:02 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #225997
Rigby

Novice
pkaramol wrote
Working on 3.5.0-25-generic #39~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 26 00:11:13 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[I don't know how to retrieve info about virus db]

After enabling on access scan with Fanotify (since I am on 3.5.0-25), and setting protection for /home folder, when saving virus samples from http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/ under my home folder (e.g. /home/pantelis/Downloads) the system hangs to the point of needing manual restart.

How do I DISABLE on access scan?

On another note (I don't know if it is related) when trying to execute some of the scripts that come with avg, I get the following errors (I include the respective output of find command that indicates that the libs marked as missing are actually there.

./avgavid: error while loading shared libraries: libavgsys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo find / -name libavgsys.so
/opt/avg/av/lib/libavgsys.so
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo ./avgcfgctl
./avgcfgctl: error while loading shared libraries: libavgsys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo ./avgctl
./avgctl: error while loading shared libraries: libavgcomm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pantelis@Cygnus:/opt/avg/av/bin$ sudo find / -name libavgcomm.so
/opt/avg/av/lib/libavgcomm.so

Hi,

AVG binaries must be started via symlinks to avgwraper.sh (see /usr/bin/avgctl for example) it loads path for avg libraries, which are not in system path.
If you need start from your location, you must defined avg library path.

On-Access scan can be permanently disabled via commands:
#avgcfgctl -w Default.setup.features.oad=false
#avgctl --stop=oad
Anyway, can you attached report from your system?
Scenario:
- save attached file diag.zip and unpack file diagcfg.xml to your disk
- run command: "sudo /usr/bin/avgdiag -c <path to>/diagcfg.xml"
- locate archive *.arch in /temp/avg/ directory and attach it to this thread

Thanks a lot,

Rigby
March 14, 2013 15:19 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #226004
pkaramol

Novice
Hi, thanks.
I attach the .arch file.
March 20, 2013 12:22 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #226333
Rigby

Novice
Hi,

can you please try to set key Oad.scand.maxscanproc to 2?
#avgcfgctl -w Oad.scand.maxscanproc=2
It probably helps.

R.
March 22, 2013 12:12 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #226472
pkaramol

Novice
Hi,

yes it seems to work now (system does not hang)
Nonetheless, I was able to download and unzip a malware from
http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/

For example http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/search.cgi?search=adolph

Before doing that I restarted On Access scan by executing

#avgcfgctl -w Default.setup.features.oad=true
#avgctl --start=oad

Is this the expected behavior?
Shouldn't AVG have prevented me from downloading and / or unzipping the file, especially since this is a malware listed in AVG db?

Thx
March 22, 2013 15:18 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #226491
pkaramol

Novice
Actually I am still getting problems...
Unfortunately, when trying to open a file with e.c. GIMP or downloading a file system crashes again...
Although this time the crash is not so sudden and abrupt...
Had to disable on access scan once again...
March 22, 2013 18:26 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #226504
BIG AL 43

@ pkaramol

Please note that Rigby is an AVG employee....

OK, Just to keep you fully in the picture regarding AVG Team forum support.. For your further guidance/info please refer to the availability Announcement post @ the top of the Information forum area. Please bear in mind that it's also now the weekend [7:26pm Friday evening] in Brno, Czech Rep..

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 25, 2013 13:58 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #226640
JArda2

pkaramol wrote
Hi,

yes it seems to work now (system does not hang)
Nonetheless, I was able to download and unzip a malware from
http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/

For example http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/search.cgi?search=adolph

Before doing that I restarted On Access scan by executing

#avgcfgctl -w Default.setup.features.oad=true
#avgctl --start=oad

Is this the expected behavior?
Shouldn't AVG have prevented me from downloading and / or unzipping the file, especially since this is a malware listed in AVG db?

Thx

The on-access daemon cannot deny closing the file. It will scan it on close and if infected it will prevent to open it next time without scan.

Concerning the hangs. We are not able to induce it. Can you please confirm that the value Oad.scand.maxscanproc is set to at least 2.
# avgcfgctl Oad.scand.maxscanproc

And that the on-access daemon was restarted after the configuration change with command
# avgctl --restart=oad

Regards,
JArda
April 16, 2013 16:38 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #227914
pkaramol

Novice
I made a new installation of the recent release (r3115) on Ubuntu 12.04.02 and everything seems to work fine.
Managed to download infected samples from http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/
unzipped them and no problem at all. Scan process manages to find the infection only in the unzipped file (the malware.zip is not recognized as a threat).
I will continue with this testing process, nonetheless I would like to ask about available documentation since we plan to make extended usage of AVG in Linux and perhaps try to produce a primitive GUI.
What is the functionality offered by the binaries in /opt/bin/avg/av?
What are the configurable parameters?

Many thanks.
April 25, 2013 08:35 Re: System Hangs After Enabling On Access Scan With Fanotify #228298
Rigby

Novice
pkaramol wrote
I made a new installation of the recent release (r3115) on Ubuntu 12.04.02 and everything seems to work fine.
Managed to download infected samples from http://oc.gtisc.gatech.edu:8080/
unzipped them and no problem at all. Scan process manages to find the infection only in the unzipped file (the malware.zip is not recognized as a threat).
I will continue with this testing process, nonetheless I would like to ask about available documentation since we plan to make extended usage of AVG in Linux and perhaps try to produce a primitive GUI.
What is the functionality offered by the binaries in /opt/bin/avg/av?
What are the configurable parameters?

Many thanks.

Hi,
There are man pages and READMEs in /opt/avg/av/doc. Some useful information is available here. ;)

R.