Folder AVG Forums » AVG for Mobile » AVG for Android » Remote Management - Locate
March 3, 2013 23:50 Remote Management - Locate #225494
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Ronnie75

Novice
Dear all,

Last weekend my phone was stolen. I installed the AVG Mobilation app and was able to lock the phone. But, when I try to locate it, I get the following message:

Warning
Location cannot be retrieved from the device, please click on the locate button again in a few minutes.

I did some searching before on this forum, but can't really find my answer... Just before the phone was stolen, the battery was already very low. So most likely by now the battery is empty or maybe the phone is turned off. Can AVG Remote Management still locate the phone when the battery is dead or the phone is turned off? If yes, why do I get this message all the time?

I also now and then use the "shout" option. Does this also work when the battery is dead or the phone is turned off? And, out of curiousity, what will the phone "shout" when I use this option?
March 4, 2013 00:16 Re: Remote Management - Locate #225496
Ronnie75

Novice
I did some more searching on this forum and read that the phone has to be connected to the internet to use any of the Remote Management features....

So, that explains why locate doesn't work. But, does that mean that the thief can replace my SIM (which is blocked btw) for his/her own and still use the phone as long as he/she doesn't connect to the internet?

And what will happen when the thief removes AVG Mobilation, before connecting to the internet? Will the phone still be locked? Can it still be located?

What happens when I use the shout option now, as long as the phone is switched off or without internetconnection?
March 5, 2013 09:11 Re: Remote Management - Locate #225552
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi Ronnie75,

And, out of curiousity, what will the phone "shout" when I use this option?

Your ringtone will be "shouted".

But, does that mean that the thief can replace my SIM (which is blocked btw) for his/her own and still use the phone as long as he/she doesn't connect to the internet?

Yes, thief can use your phone until it connects to the internet or AVG Mobilation is uninstalled or your phone is wiped (reseted to factory defaults).

And what will happen when the thief removes AVG Mobilation, before connecting to the internet? Will the phone still be locked? Can it still be located?

No, it won't be locked nor located.

What happens when I use the shout option now, as long as the phone is switched off or without internetconnection?

Nothing happens because phone can't receive the command.

Thanks.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support