Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2013 » AVG 2013 » Internet and Network » [SOLVED] Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar
Page 1 of 4 1234››
March 1, 2013 16:22 [SOLVED] Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225413
NoNicknameForMe9845

Novice
Somehow I have AVG Security Toolbar installed on my PC and I am unable to uninstall it. I believe it was installed with a Nero update, even though I'm certain that I unchecked the option to install it. This is not a very honorable way to have your software delivered, but that is a different topic.

vprot.exe is eating CPU resources and any help in removing AVG would be appreciated.

When attempting to uninstall via the control panel on Win 7, the uninstall program comes back and say that the action could not be completed and to try again later. Screenshot attached.

I have tried this in normal mode and safe mode with the same results.

I have tried this with the AVG Toolbar (14.2.0.1) enabled and disabled in Firefox and IE. I do not have Chrome installed. Even with the toolbar disabled, vprot.exe will eat CPU resources.

I have followed links on this site with basic information on how to remove it, which did not work.

I have uninstalled Nero and then tried all of the steps above again, without success.

Is there a way to remove this application from my PC?
Capture.JPG
March 1, 2013 17:36 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225417
BIG AL 43

@ NoNicknameForMe9845

Uninstall toolbar.. Have a look @ this AVG Team posting.. http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=225046#post_225046. Also today's posting Weekly Overview: 7/2013.. AVG Toolbar and Secure Search uninstallation. Subscribe to this RSS feed if you want to be notified about new Weekly Overviews.

vprot.exe is eating CPU now fixed. Today's AVG Team posting ..
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=225394#post_225394

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 1, 2013 20:24 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225428
NoNicknameForMe9845

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
@ NoNicknameForMe9845

Uninstall toolbar.. Have a look @ this AVG Team posting.. http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=225046#post_225046. Also today's posting Weekly Overview: 7/2013.. AVG Toolbar and Secure Search uninstallation. Subscribe to this RSS feed if you want to be notified about new Weekly Overviews.

vprot.exe is eating CPU now fixed. Today's AVG Team posting ..
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=225394#post_225394

Thanks for the response, but this information does not uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar.

Following the first link, http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=225046#post_225046 , has information regarding a toolbar log file that is constantly growing in size. There are instructions to uninstall the toolbar, but these are the instructions that I have already done and they do not work. I reran the instructions again for good measure. At the bottom of the thread, you have a link to another thread that talks about the log file issue. There are links to nonexistent FAQs (4875) to delete the log file. In the 3 pages of the thread there are instructions to remove the toolbar, which I have tried and cannot do. There is also talk of making the toolbar_log.txt read only. But I think that this is just to keep it growing in size. There is also a reference that the issue with the log file has been resolved, which is nice, but there doesn't seem to be any updated for the toolbar. I would just like to remove it anyway.

There is also talk about installing AVG Free and then uninstalling? Is this what you are suggesting? If so, I have read about issues AVG has with other security software, so I am not sure how to work around this and don't have the desire to remove my other security software.

Congratulations on resolving the vprot.exe issue. But my goal is to uninstall it. I am not sure what to do here.
March 1, 2013 20:42 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225429
BIG AL 43

NoNicknameForMe9845 wrote
I am not sure what to do here
[
OK, Just to keep you fully in the picture regarding AVG Team forum support.. For your further guidance/info please refer to the availability Announcement post @ the top of the Information forum area. Please bear in mind that it's also now the weekend [9:42pm Friday evening] in Brno, Czech Rep..

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 5, 2013 04:17 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225545
NoNicknameForMe9845

Novice
Can someone from AVG provide some guidance on removing the AVG Security Toolbar from my PC. All attempts have been unsuccessful and I have not been able to to find clear recommendation on these forums.

I would like to get some guidance before attempting measures that may cause more problems.

I am now experiencing another, more serious issue. I cannot run any new executable files that I place in directories on my hard drives. I did not have this issue before the AVG Security Toolbar was installed and I haven't made any changes to my PC except for installing the AVG Security Toolbar. Below is the error message I receive when attempting to run an executable:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path of file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Searching I found that this may be cause by UAC (which I have turned off). Several people have reported that it is caused by AVG, Bitdefender and other security software. But I cannot uninstall AVG from my PC.

Please help me uninstall AVG Security Toolbar from my PC.
March 7, 2013 05:16 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225644
NoNicknameForMe9845

Novice
Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

If this is not the correct place to attempt to get assistance with your product, please direct me to the appropriate resource.
March 8, 2013 06:49 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225696
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi NoNicknameForMe9845,

We recommend following the How to remove AVG Toolbar, homepage and Secure Search from your browser article. What is the situation now? If it doesn't help on your issue please provide us with Msinfo output and System Event Logs for closer analysis.

Please be informed that AVG toolbar does not affect executing executable files on your computer in any way.

Thanks.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 8, 2013 18:25 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225735
NoNicknameForMe9845

Novice
_malchys_ wrote
Hi NoNicknameForMe9845,

We recommend following the How to remove AVG Toolbar, homepage and Secure Search from your browser article. What is the situation now? If it doesn't help on your issue please provide us with Msinfo output and System Event Logs for closer analysis.

Please be informed that AVG toolbar does not affect executing executable files on your computer in any way.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I attempted those procedures earlier without being able to uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar. I also just attempted them again with the same unsuccessful results.

When attempting to uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar from within IE, I can select the Hide/Uninstall AVG... from the pulldown menu but nothing happens. No indication of success or failure and the AVG Security Toolbar is not uninstalled.

If I attempt to uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar via Programs and Features from the Control Panel, the error message attached in my first post is displayed and the AVG Security Toolbar is not uninstalled.

The information that you requested is available via this link http://pic.whiplash.name/temp.zip

Thanks
March 11, 2013 20:33 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #225868
Skylerknight

Novice
Does Anybody Have A Solution Yet?..

I also want to fully uninstall AVG Safeguard Toolbar from my computer. I don't want it hidden, I don't care about links that will remove it from my browser... all I want is it fully removed from my computer and when I try I get the same error as this poster it says:

"The requested action was not completed. Please try again later"

I would just like to know what AVG's idea of later is, because I find that minutes, hours and days aren't exactly working. If they mean years or never then I'll just remember that when I build my new computer this summer and won't install any AVG products on it.
March 15, 2013 03:17 Re: Uninstalling AVG Security Toolbar #226035
NoNicknameForMe9845

Novice
Skylerknight,

I was finally able to uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar virus by using a tool called Revo Uninstaller.

You do need to kill the vprot.exe virus process before running the Revo Uninstaller. This can be done through Resource Monitor or Task Manager.

After the vprot.exe virus process is killed you can run the Revo Uninstaller and it will create a restore point and then attempt to run the AVG Security Toolbar virus uninstaller, which will fail. The Revo Uninstaller will then search the registry and hard drive for any remnants of the virus and provide options to delete them. After I deleted the Registry keys, files and folders of the Avg Security Toolbar virus, it has not come back.
Page 1 of 4 1234››