Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2013 » AVG 2013 » [SOLVED] AVG UI Has Encountered A Problem & Needs To Close
January 15, 2013 01:55 [SOLVED] AVG UI Has Encountered A Problem & Needs To Close #222984
6200ft

Novice
Was running AVG-free 2013 fine after update for weeks, but yesterday had Windows error messages pop-up and AVG would not launch. Other computer functionality is fine. I am attaching most recent log file, using forum name 6200ft.

Other Info requested in sticky-post:
Windows version XP, Home Edition 2002, SP3.
AVG version 2013.0.2805
Other antivirus software installed / recently uninstalled (NONE in years)
Other protection software installed (NONE)
Exact error message:
"AVG User Interface has encountered a problem and needs to close", with option to report to Microsoft. When viewing the detailed Microsoft info sent, I see this:
App Name avgui.exe // App Ver 13.0.0.2792 //Mod Name avglogx.dll //Mod Ver 13.0.0.2780

After closing that error, I get a similar pop-up that:
"Avgdumpx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

After checking forum, attempted uninstall via Control Panel/Remove Programs. Unsuccessful, process interrupted with same error pop-ups. Attempted again using Uninstall tool from AVG site for 32 bit system: unsuccessful, same error pop-ups. I did not perform the directory deletion instructions mentioned in some of the detailed instructions because it's clear the uninstall/reinstall process is not going as described.

Other things tried:
Used Microsoft Free Malware Removal Tool Anti-Malware Scan Software, nothing found.
Used DiskCheck for HD errors, none found.

This is the first time I've ever had a hiccup with AVG-free; thanks for your help!

January 21, 2013 14:28 Re: AVG UI Has Encountered A Problem & Needs To Close #223303
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello 6200ft,

For help on your issue please try run this Zone Alarm remover to remove remains and then please refer to:
Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
January 23, 2013 03:27 Re: AVG UI Has Encountered A Problem & Needs To Close #223387
6200ft

Novice
resolution..

Success; thanks for advice. Wasn't as straightforward as hoped, though. I'm posting trial & error steps that resulted in uninstall/install working.

Ran Zone Alarm Remover OK.
Followed uninstall instructions, using AVGremover (32bit) 2013, but same pop-up about "AVG user interface has encountered a problem..."
Tried AVGremover(32bit)2012, just in case: no error pop-up, and AVG disappeared from START -> All Progams listing.
However, on reboot got avgmfapx.exe error pop-up, and another error pop-up when unsuccessfully following install instructions.
Ran AVGremover(32bit)2013; no error message and status icon in lower right hand corner indicated that the computer is unprotected by anti-virus software.
Deleted old AVG file structure per instructions.
Installed AVGfree successfully; updated and scanned OK.
Reboot success with no error pop-ups.

Thanks!
January 31, 2013 12:18 Re: AVG UI Has Encountered A Problem & Needs To Close #223820
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello 6200ft,

We are happy to see that your issue is resolved.

Thank you for posting back.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support