Folder AVG Forums » AVG for Mobile » AVG for Android » Need Help On Lost Mobile
December 8, 2012 14:46 Need Help On Lost Mobile #221442
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Avgdummy3

Novice
I just lost my mobile phone. I had AVG (free version) downloaded in my phone, but had not done any settings to it on the phone. It was after 1 day I lost it that I realized I could utilize AVG service about my lost phone.
So I went online to "Locate" the device, unfortunately it could not detect the location. I then proceed to activate "Lock" device and set up unlock password. I tried to activate "Wipe" but it says the request cannot send through to device. However, the info box on the right hand side shows this: Lock: YES, Wipe: YES. So I'm not sure if the activation has been successfully done or not? I also activated Scream but not sure if it did send any alarm to my lost phone.

If I activated the "Lock" device, does it mean the thief who stole my phone will no longer be able to use it anymore at all/ access into the phone screen?

What kind of personal datas "Wipe" get rid of? Will it get rid of caches browsers, passwords, pics etc.??

If all the above activation is done only after the thief had switched off my phone, or changed another SIM card, or had actually Uninstalled AVG on my phone, does it still work to lock the device etc.??

What about the Apps i downloaded? Are there any ways to lock or delete them remotely? I want to make sure the thief is now holding a useless phone that has no access.

One more thing, I used to receive notification emails from Gmail to notify that there was a change of SIM card done on my phone. But it seems I did not receive anymore notifications since 30 Nov 2012. I know I changed SIM card consecutively even after 30 NOV due to travel...Especially since my phone is lost I'm pretty sure the thief had the SIM card changed now and I need the notification for more info. Why am I not receiving the notifications?? How do I know my lost phone has actually been locked or not?

December 8, 2012 14:50 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #221443
Avgdummy3

Novice
Re: Questions On AVG Mobile.. Need help on AVG for lost phone..

I just lost my mobile phone. I had AVG (free version) downloaded in my phone, but had not done any settings to it on the phone. It was after 1 day I lost it that I realized I could utilize AVG service about my lost phone.
So I went online to "Locate" the device, unfortunately it could not detect the location. I then proceed to activate "Lock" device and set up unlock password. I tried to activate "Wipe" but it says the request cannot send through to device. However, the info box on the right hand side shows this: Lock: YES, Wipe: YES. So I'm not sure if the activation has been successfully done or not? I also activated Scream but not sure if it did send any alarm to my lost phone.

If I activated the "Lock" device, does it mean the thief who stole my phone will no longer be able to use it anymore at all/ access into the phone screen?

What kind of personal datas "Wipe" get rid of? Will it get rid of caches browsers, passwords, pics etc.??

If all the above activation is done only after the thief had switched off my phone, or changed another SIM card, or had actually Uninstalled AVG on my phone, does it still work to lock the device etc.??

What about the Apps i downloaded? Are there any ways to lock or delete them remotely? I want to make sure the thief is now holding a useless phone that has no access.

One more thing, I used to receive notification emails from Gmail to notify that there was a change of SIM card done on my phone. But it seems I did not receive anymore notifications since 30 Nov 2012. I know I changed SIM card consecutively even after 30 NOV due to travel...Especially since my phone is lost I'm pretty sure the thief had the SIM card changed now and I need the notification for more info. Why am I not receiving the notifications?? How do I know my lost phone has actually been locked or not?
January 20, 2013 02:09 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #223249
Karelaija

Novice
go Pro..

I too was wondering about exactly the same things. As free users however, we are not entitled to open support tickets.
January 24, 2013 14:05 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #223474
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi Avgdummy3,

Please be informed that active Internet connection on device and registered AVG Anti-Theft feature are required for using any remote features. It is possible that your phone is not connected to the Internet or was already wiped by someone who found it.

I had AVG (free version) downloaded in my phone, but had not done any settings to it on the phone. It was after 1 day I lost it that I realized I could utilize AVG service about my lost phone.

It is unfortunately not possible to remotely manage your phone in case you have not registered it manually from AVG application. This configuration has to be done even if you have re-installed AVG on your phone. Devices are still visible/manageable from remote management even if AVG is already uninstalled. "Dead" devices has to be removed manually.

However, the info box on the right hand side shows this: Lock: YES, Wipe: YES. So I'm not sure if the activation has been successfully done or not?

This means that your phone is Locked/Wiped or will be once it connects back to the Internet.

It will lock you phone and require password for unlocking - thief won't be able to use your phone.

What kind of personal datas "Wipe" get rid of?

It will factory reset your phone - all apps, settings and data will be deleted (except data stored on SD Card).

Settings will be applied after switching phone on only if AVG program is installed, Anti-Theft feature is registered and Internet connection is established. Phone can't be managed remotely in case that AVG is uninstalled or Internet is not working.

What about the Apps i downloaded? Are there any ways to lock or delete them remotely?

Apps installed via Google Play can be uninstalled remotely as described here.

I used to receive notification emails from Gmail to notify that there was a change of SIM card done on my phone. But it seems I did not receive anymore notifications since 30 Nov 2012.

Was your device connected to the Internet and AVG Anti-Theft feature registered before 30 Nov 2012?

Thanks.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
February 6, 2013 02:24 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #224120
MySoultoTake

Novice
Same problem..

I'm noob here, so forgive me if my question is asked twice.

I need some help, too as I'm now encountering the same problem.

Can my phone location be fetched when

- the phone is off ?

- the SIM is removed ?

- the SIM is locked ?

Thanks a lot for your consideration.

February 6, 2013 11:52 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #224139
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi MySoultoTake,

- the phone is off ?

Phone can't be located if it is turned off.

- the SIM is removed ?
- the SIM is locked ?

It should be possible if phone is connected to the internet via e.g. WiFi.

Thanks.

AVG Team
February 20, 2013 10:59 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #224885
jlucero

Novice
_malchys_ wrote
Hi MySoultoTake,

- the phone is off ?

Phone can't be located if it is turned off.

- the SIM is removed ?
- the SIM is locked ?

It should be possible if phone is connected to the internet via e.g. WiFi.

Thanks.

Is this means that even though I locked my phone using AVG, it won't be locked because the device isn't connected to the Internet?
February 20, 2013 11:26 Re: Need Help On Lost Mobile #224888
_malchys_

Administrator
Hi jlucero,

If you'll try to lock your device after it is disconnected from internet, it won't be locked.

Thanks.

AVG Team