Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » Fake 'Threat Detected' Warning.
December 10, 2012 16:28 Fake 'Threat Detected' Warning. #221500
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Lebeda

Novice
I'm a member of a chat room for musicians, & once in a while somebody will send me info.via facebook. Not all the member of the chat room use their real names on the site, so some real names are unknown to me.
3 days ago, i received an e-mail telling me that 'a person' had sent me some pics. via Facebook. Now i didn't recognise the name, but i opened up the e-mail anyway - big mistake !!!.
As well as AVG 2012 on my PC, i also use 'SuperAntiSpyware'. However 'something' has infected my PC in such a manner that when i ran SAS, it detected 3 infections which i removed - another mistake !.
I then got a continuous pop-up AVG Identity Protection window, telling me that i had a Trojan infection, with the option of removing it or 'allowing' it. I removed it, only to get another pop-up with a 'new' Trojan. This goes on & on & on ...... for as long as you keep deleting them.
I contacted the AVG support team, ran the 'autorun' prog. they sent me & sent the scan log (Case Ref.No.6577183). I've received no further contact from them since 8th Dec.
The problem was so persistent that i uninstalled AVG & installed Avast anti-virus - guess what !, i then got Avast Trojan pop-ups in the same manner.
It seems that whatever is infecting my PC, is targetting any anti-virus software that i install. Spybot S & D runs without problems & Spyware Blaster seems ok.
I really need some help with this problem - so please !!!!!
Screen print 2  - Fake Alert Virus.JPGScreen print 1 - AVG Threat detected.JPG
December 10, 2012 20:58 Re: Fake 'Threat Detected' Warning. #221513
BrianM12

Novice
Hi Lebeda,

Follow Step 1 and 2 in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

If you have any questions about the instructions, just ask. Let me know if this helps you.

Brian
December 10, 2012 23:50 Re: Fake 'Threat Detected' Warning. #221516
BIG AL 43

@ Lebeda

If the issue should persist, Please provide more information (AVG scan result export, Msinfo output, GMER scan results) for closer analysis.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 11, 2012 09:52 Re: Fake 'Threat Detected' Warning. #221524
Lebeda

Novice
Brian /BIG AL - Many thanks indeed for your help,you just might have got things sorted - however !.
I followed Brian's advice in the link he gave me :-
a) I ran Kaspersky Anti-Rootkit which found nothing.
b) I Installed Malwarebytes 'Free' version & did a scan which found the items shown in the screen print attached.They are now 'quarantined'.I assume that this means that they are inactive as per quarantined items found by AVG ??.
I did get another AVG pop-up warning,this time by the 'Resident Shield Alert'.
I can only hope that this (insert own expletive) thing is now sidelined.
I'll be sure to let you know if it literally 'pops up' again.
Once again,many thanks,
Ivan Kelsall - Manchester UK
Screen print 1 - AVG Threat detected.JPGScreen print 2  - Fake Alert Virus.JPGMalwarebytes quarantine list.JPG