Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » Seeking For Help & Advice
November 18, 2012 14:01 Seeking For Help & Advice #220582
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Friendly_Guy

Novice
Dear AVG staff and members,

I have installed on my personal home computer your AVG 2012 Free Edition.

The computer was recently bought and after a few months it started to inexplicabibly block and sometimes restart on its own. Afterwards it was very very difficult (several trials needed) to load Windows.

I first thought it is an manufacterer error and have sent the computer back to service, where they found a problem with the power switch and fixed it. All other tests regarding hard disk and usual tests turned out to be ok.

After receiving the computer back from service all went ok until i accesed a certain website (forum actually). The computer became unresponsive and after trying to restart and run the start up repair it reported that the disk was just messed up and needed serious repair. Windows just doesnt want to start up.

In regard of these facts, i strongly suspect that i am targeted with a cyber attack from the respective forum website.

Could You please give me an advice on how can i find out if i am targeted (the coincidence is to big to have troubles when i access that site). How can i identify the source of my problem if it were a cyber attack? AVG 2012 Free Edition doesn't find any threats , I have been scanning whole computer but with no result.

Hoping to get a little help

Sincereley Yours

November 18, 2012 19:10 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #220592
will_h

Hi Friendly_Guy,

I would try to turn off AVG temporarily and access the web site again (if you are sure that is safe). It don't have to be 'cyber attack' it can be a software bug in AVG. We have reported a problem with LinkScanner that uses 100% CPU. Of course it is not sure that is your case.
"Windows just doesnt want to start up." - please provide us with System Event Logs, AVG log files and MSinfo output.

Thank you

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
November 18, 2012 21:00 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #220598
Friendly_Guy

Novice
regarding to how to send You the files over..

Thank You very much for the quick reply.

How exactly could i provide You the saved files? the event log files (one has 20MB and the other 13MB) and the msinfo file is 1.54 MB large.

Sincerely
November 18, 2012 22:31 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #220604
BIG AL 43

Friendly_Guy wrote
How exactly could i provide You the saved files?

Have a read thro' this 'How-To' link How To Provide Forum Moderators With Files .

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
November 19, 2012 08:58 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #220621
Friendly_Guy

Novice
Thank You Big AL,

my question was more in the sense that should i send a personal message (although i dont find the option) to the moderator, or just post the download link in a new message?

I was able to save 3 of the required analysis files yesterday, but sadly today the computer won't boot (the "select proper boot device or insert media key" message), so I do not have the AVG log files. Actually the PC restarted on its own when AVG was doing an update. A message somthing like "operation failed to write 122143124 into memory" appeared and the PC restarted (or wanted so), and afterwards the select proper boot device message appeared. I have selected in BIOS to see if the drive boot order is with CD Rom at first, and it is (in the drive boot menu it is the only option available).

Thank You again for advice and help.

LE: i am sorry, but yesterday the file was 3MB large ?!? and today i see its 1.91, so i am going to attach it to the message.
November 19, 2012 18:05 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #220667
Friendly_Guy

Novice
Hello Dear AVG staff,

sorry to bother You again.
In order to keep you up to date, i'm just writing this message to inform you that this afternoon I have noticed again that the PC becomes unresponsive while AVG 2012 updates. But it hasn't crashed. So i waited patiently until the update finished (it took more then 30 minutes) and now i am able to write you this message. After receieving my PC back from service the computer time was more then 24 hrs offset, so now i have unchecked in the AVG update interface the option that AVg checks for the computer time.

But still, do You recommend perhaps to try the 2013 version?

Thank You again for your time

December 4, 2012 13:50 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #221266
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Friendly_Guy,

Yes, please refer to this article to completely uninstall AVG 2012 and install AVG 2013.

If it doesn't help you please provide us with both GMER scan results.

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 8, 2012 09:06 Re: Seeking For Help & Advice #221436
Friendly_Guy

Novice
Pokornyz wrote
Hello Friendly_Guy,

Yes, please refer to this article to completely uninstall AVG 2012 and install AVG 2013.

If it doesn't help you please provide us with both GMER scan results.

Thank you

Hello Pokornyz and thank you for your input,

i have uninstalled the 2012 version and tried to run the GMER scan but i am unable to run the rootkit/malware scan. The autostart scan went ok, but at the malware scan my computer restarts on its own "in order to protect computer from damage" (blue screen with this message appears). Then computer wants to restart but it fails to do so and i cant start it anymore :-)).

I left computer unplugged for a while and finally managed to go in, but now i can't install the 2013 version.... It freezes at the installation and crashes (black screen appears with message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert media and select key" or something similar) and afterwards it is impossible to start computer again :-)).

I have no clue what the problem might be..... It might be the hard drive, although it has been tested in service if it tends to wear down and test went fine, it tends to recover a little at low temperatures ?! Or maybe the power supply (i mean where i plug in the computer for power) doesn't provide sufficient power or to much ?! It could be...

Until now i had a whole range of error messages:

"A disk read error occured
Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

Reboot and select propper boot device or insert media file and press key
S.M.A.R.T. capable but disabled and
Primary Master Hard Disc Error

My only question would be: do you think it can be related to some kind of malware or probably a physical wear down of the equipment? Although i totally understand if you could not provide further advice.

Wish You Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year

Kind regards,

Friendly_Guy.