Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » (Updated) AVG 2013 Found Adware.CoolWebSearch in Registry. Need help with removal.
November 30, 2012 20:05 (Updated) AVG 2013 Found Adware.CoolWebSearch in Registry. Need help with removal. #221176
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
TJx99

Novice
I did a complete scan yesterday and got the following warning:

(Under View details)

Object name: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj

Detection name: Found Adware.CoolWebSearch

Object type: registry key

SDK Type: Core

Result: Potentially dangerous object

AVG would not put it in the vault and could not remove this. I got this message:

Access is denied. Moving object to Virus Vault failed. Do you really want to delete this object? HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj

Both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware did not detect this. Did a web search and CWS Shredder was mentioned, but that program is not compatible with Win 7. Any help removing this would be greatly appreciated.

My OS: Win 7
AVG Ver: 2012 Free Edition

--------------------------

[UPDATE] 12-17-12

I updated to AVG 2013 Free and still it detected this potenial threat. At least it was moved into the virus vault this time. But I don't know what to do next or how to fix this?

My computer is not acting right. I thought it was issues with Firefox, so I'm using Google Chrome until I fix Firefox, at first it was okay, but the same behavior is happening using Chrome as well. Pages are taking a long time to load, when before it was not like that. When I type either on the browser or in a wordpad or notepad document, my cursor will jump to another location, usually several spaces behind where I was typing.

The first time I noticed a problem when I was using AVG 2012 free, all my desktop icons started acting weird, flickering between big and small. I restarted my computer and haven't had that issue again, just the other odd behavior, which I believe is stemming from that registry key with the Adware.CoolWebSearch.

Malwarebtyes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot all did not detect this threat either. Please, can someone help me? I don't want to have to reformat my computer.

Here are the results from the most recent scan:

Detection Name: Found Adware.CoolWebSearch
Description: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj
Severity: Medium
State: Moved to Virus Vault
Source: Scan
Date: 12/17/2012, 10:07:54 AM