Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG for Linux » Problem Starting AVG Free For Linux
November 22, 2012 23:09 Problem Starting AVG Free For Linux #220814
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Xaphan90

Novice
Hi, less than a week ago I made my transition from Windows to Linux (although I'm not an experienced Linux user...just one that knows enough to get by) and I needed an antivirus because I do a lot of file sharing with other Windows users and I want to make sure my non-Linux users don't get any viruses from me. I chose AVG free 2012 for Linux as my antivirus for CentOS 6.3 and it worked fine but when I made the transition from CentOS 6.3 to Fedora 17 when I downloaded the RPM package for AVG, installed it, then tried to start it I get this result in the terminal

[nathan@vaio ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@vaio ~]# avgctl –start
/bin/avgctl: /opt/avg/av/bin/avgctl: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
/bin/avgctl: line 17: /opt/avg/av/bin/avgctl: Success
[root@vaio ~]#

I must have done something wrong because it worked before when I set up AVG in CentOS and this result applies to all of the Linux commands for AVG free 2012 for Linux. Please if anyone knows a solution let me know.
November 26, 2012 11:18 Re: Problem Starting AVG Free For Linux #220935
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Rigby

Novice
Xaphan90 wrote
Hi, less than a week ago I made my transition from Windows to Linux (although I'm not an experienced Linux user...just one that knows enough to get by) and I needed an antivirus because I do a lot of file sharing with other Windows users and I want to make sure my non-Linux users don't get any viruses from me. I chose AVG free 2012 for Linux as my antivirus for CentOS 6.3 and it worked fine but when I made the transition from CentOS 6.3 to Fedora 17 when I downloaded the RPM package for AVG, installed it, then tried to start it I get this result in the terminal

[nathan@vaio ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@vaio ~]# avgctl –start
/bin/avgctl: /opt/avg/av/bin/avgctl: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
/bin/avgctl: line 17: /opt/avg/av/bin/avgctl: Success
[root@vaio ~]#

I must have done something wrong because it worked before when I set up AVG in CentOS and this result applies to all of the Linux commands for AVG free 2012 for Linux. Please if anyone knows a solution let me know.

Hi,

it is probably problem of missing 32 bit libraries, just try to install glibc.i686 (#yum install glibc.i686).

Regards,

ER