Folder AVG Forums » Other AVG products » PC Tuneup » AVG PC Tuneup 2013
November 12, 2012 10:59 AVG PC Tuneup 2013 #220253
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Valentine Michael Smith

Novice
AVG PC Tuneup 2013 has lost some major features that were available in Tuneup 2012. It appears to have been dumbed down for the masses, i.e., the computer illiterates that keep the techies employed.

I will try to get a refund. It's as if the engine in my vehicle lost some cylinders after a major service.

Go for the original. http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/boost-speed/
November 12, 2012 21:16 Re: AVG PC Tuneup 2013 #220279
jaderyan2

Novice
problem..

great advice but i read it too late. :(
November 18, 2012 12:53 Re: AVG PC Tuneup 2013 #220581
Stanley_One

Novice
PCTU 2013 is a HUUUGE backwards step..

I'll definitely miss the previous version!

This 2013 has a newbie-targeted interface concealing some quite dangerous features. Technicians will rejoice, and make a bundle from patsies who use it. Fortunately, I know my way around Windows; it'll take some time, but I'll be able to restore a bunch of resources it thwarted.

The worst of it is that the program cannot be turned off. So among other pranks, it prevents installation of several programs, for instance Sony Vegas, DVD Architect, SoundForge, among others. Yet PCTU 2013 does it silently, so extensive troubleshooting is required to discover what's wrong. I had to uninstall PCTU to accomplish it.

The previous version also allowed defragmenting specific files individually, which was extremely useful, e.g. when you have authored a DVD and want to record it to a disk faster and smoothly. Now entire-disk defragging takes a whale of time, and is done behind a stone wall. With the previous version, I could see what was going on, and more than once I saw heavily fragmented mammoth-sized temp files, that I had a chance to delete before resuming defragmentation.

PCTU 2013 will not allow maintenance to be done when I want it, but only as scheduled, and it won't let me go without setting up a schedule. No chances for 100% manual use.

I could go on and on about features that are much worse than in the user-friendlier previous version, which I'll try to reinstall and use, until I find some other more convenient software to optimize my system.

The key message here is that, as long as I have to pay for this piece of software, AVG DOES *NOT* OWN MY COMPUTER, so I am entitled to have control on what goes on there, and especially what doesn't. AVG managed to spoil an excellent program with this 2013 version.
November 22, 2012 12:22 Re: AVG PC Tuneup 2013 #220785
Northerndj

Novice
Not Impressed..

If you have a copy of 2012 still kicking around it still will work as well
I use the track Eraser program and i agree they have remove very useful programs and replaced them with ones that do not work eg Registry Defrag :angry: :angry:
Why AVG have you tried to fix something that was not broken :angry:
November 23, 2012 15:55 Re: AVG PC Tuneup 2013 #220844
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Northerndj,

We invite you to submit suggestions for product improvements at the http://www.avg.com/ww-en/product-feedback web form.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 12, 2012 15:17 Re: AVG PC Tuneup 2013 #221574
Stanley_One

Novice
Northerndj wrote
Not Impressed..
If you have a copy of 2012 still kicking around it still will work as well

Unfortunately it won't.

If you inadvertently bought a one-year license from the AVG client snatchers in Cyprus (I live in Brazil !!!), it will suddenly stop working precisely 11 months later, to no avail, nobody to contact.

Being in Brazil, any attempt of mine to contact AVG will be unavoidably routed to their local rep here, Winco, who offers excellent customer/technical service. However in this case their hands are tied, because my AVG PC TuneUp was bought from their crooked fellow company in Cyprus.

Though I googled about it, I couldn't find any reference to one year lasting only eleven months in Cyprus. It makes me wonder if people there age faster, or if they look younger at a more advanced age.

And yet, I can't buy a license for the good 2012 version, only the blasted 2013. This means that AVG is literally forcing my hand to find a crack for v2012 and never pay for it again. Insane management!