Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab
Page 1 of 4 1234››
September 4, 2012 10:43 Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #215691
ivinvgp

Novice
Yesterday my AVG 2012 free edition updated itself, and after that it has totally unsettled my browser home page and new tab options. I am totally unhappy with AVG changing my google chrome new tab page to a useless AVG secure search page. I had set my chrome new tab page with speed dial extension option, with shortcuts of all my frequently used websites. I have lost all that, and can't replace this unwanted AVG homepage with my previous speed dial page anymore. I tried uninstalling AVG and then re-installing with the Secure Search option unchecked, but it works fine only for a few minutes. Once the latest AVG update happens automatically, the Secure Search page becomes default in chrome again. I can't find an option anywhere to disable it. So I have permanently uninstalled AVG now. How can AVG change my personal setting without even asking my consent? I am sure you will be losing so many users just beacuse of this one stupid move. Please provide me information on how to remove the AVG secure search from the new tab page in google chrome, so that I can re-install AVG again without affecting my personal browser settings. Otherwise I have no other option but to move on and try another antivirus product. Don't tell me to uninstall/re-install AVG or remove AVG Secure Search from the "Manage Search Engine" settings of google chrome, beacuse I have already tried all those and none of them actually worked for me.
September 4, 2012 10:53 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #215693
ywons

Novice
bkph..

you and me both. I unticked the install box and it still installed it, now I have lost all my Chrome apps and web shortcuts.
How do I get rid of it? Please
September 4, 2012 15:57 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #215731
ivinvgp

Novice
No response? AVG folks..are you listening??
September 4, 2012 17:39 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #215740
BIG AL 43

ivinvgp wrote
No response? AVG folks..are you listening??

For your further guidance/info please refer to the 1st Announcement post @ the top of the Information forum area.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 4, 2012 18:36 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #215744
Erick the Redd

Novice
The link provided by BIG AL 43 gave no real information.

I too, de-selected the checkbox for installing the AVG Secure Search and taking over my home page/New-Tab page.

But now I cannot figure out how in the heck to remove it??? That is what we want to know.

I have always been a fan of AVG, but this has really frustrated the hell out of me. So I need it fixed and fixed soon.
September 4, 2012 18:42 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #215747
Erick the Redd

Novice
September 25, 2012 20:24 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #217130
markinNorCal

Novice
pernicious 'secure search'..

I've read the FAQ on this, but have not been able to remove this pernicious AVG search tool that replaced Google in Chrome with it's powerful tools...e.g. when I type a calculation into AVG search, for example, I get a meaningless list of results where the numbers happen to coincide. Or a stock symbol, or weather search....just worthless in comparison....why does Google tolerate this?

I'll keep checking here and CNET, etc. for help.

My distrust of AVG comes from their failure to disclose what the necessary UPGRADE to 2013 really meant...
September 28, 2012 14:41 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #217333
docqualizer

Novice
A new wrinkle to remove..

In Chrome 22 (not sure if this applies to prior versions), there are additional steps you need to take to remove AVG Secure Search.

1. Click on the Customize button in the upper right.
2. Click on "Settings"
3. In the "On Startup" section, there is an option "Open a specific page or set of pages". Next to that is a highlighted option "Set Pages". Single left click on that option.
4. You should see the AVG Secure Search page as an entry in that box below what you have for a home page. Find the "x' button at the right and single left click on it. That entry will disappear.
5. Single Left click on OK.
6. Close the Settings tab.
7. Close Chrome and then reopen it.

You should have only your home page at this point. wink

Hey AVG folks - you forgot that step in Chrome 22 - I suggest you implement it IMMEDIATELY. angry
October 8, 2012 13:04 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #217941
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello all,

Simplest way to completely (everything from all browser) remove AVG Secure search is clicking on uninstall button In AVG Toolbar (Internet Explorer,Firefox).

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 10, 2012 01:51 Re: Need To Get Rid Of "AVG Secure Search" From Chrome New-Tab #218055
sigona38

Novice
easy fix..

To get rid of the AVG Secure search from Chrome omni box (where the web address usually is), just go to the Chrome menu (top right of browser), select settings, and under the Search menu, choose "Google" instead of "AVG secure search". I had this annoying problem after updating to AVG 2013.

In these settings, you can also change the startup page under "On Startup" and click "Set pages".
Page 1 of 4 1234››