August 21, 2012 19:00 MachineIDCreator #214913
CarLee2651

Novice
I just formatted and reloaded WinXP/SP3. During the AVG 12 install, I keep getting a message saying "MachineIdCreator Application has encountered a problem and must close." I closed the error box a few times, and AVG installed, but what's the problem here -- and the fix, please? (The same thing happened before I formatted the hd and tried installing.)

Thanks for any help!
August 23, 2012 13:26 Re: MachineIDCreator #215028
jirka82

Administrator
Hi CarLee2651,

This issue has been reported to developers. We will post here more information as soon as available.

Please provide us with a process crash dump, in case the error message is still being displayed repeatedly.

Thank you.

KW: 86285

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 8, 2012 02:45 Re: MachineIDCreator #217917
Norco21

Novice
status?..

so did anyone figure out what causes this? im getting it after a fresh install of xp. does it for 2012 and 2013, 2012 installs but with errors 2013 uninstalls after it gets the error during the installation

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=217905
October 15, 2012 02:12 Re: MachineIDCreator #218474
CharlieD256

Novice
Norco21 wrote
status?..

so did anyone figure out what causes this? im getting it after a fresh install of xp. does it for 2012 and 2013, 2012 installs but with errors 2013 uninstalls after it gets the error during the installation

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=217905

-----
Greetings!(FYI: First-time poster, here.) I've lost all afternoon on this one on my netbook (Store-bought Averatec with preinstalled Win XP-Home 32bit SP3, Intel Atom N270). Oddly enough, the install went with no issues on my Mom's old HP PC (Win XP-Home 32bit SP3, Celeron).

I was able to narrow down the issue to the installation of AVG Secure Search. When I de-selected this option during install, both 2013 and 2012 versions of AVG would install. But if you try to (a) add it later through "Add/Remove Programs ->AVG -> Change" or (b) download the standalone AVG Secure search, that's where MachineIDCreator fouls things up.

Did full installs and uninstalls several times using AVG's own remover tool to narrow the issue down.

Since I was not able to downgrade the toolbar via even a late 2011 installer of AVG 2012, I theorize the toolbar is always loaded from the web by all installers. And the fault is that the toolbar installer has been "updated" and has a bug linked to MachineIDCreator.exe

Hopefully, this will point the AVG team in the right direction. However, at this moment I do not have time to post logs, etc.

Try re-installing with the AVG Secure Search Toolbar de-selected.
January 29, 2013 09:05 Re: MachineIDCreator #223677
dihu2

Novice
VC Screenshot..

Hi!

Hope you AVG guys have rebased your DLLs and have a MAP-File around.
Screenshot is from an XP machine (no ASLR)

machineidcreator.JPG
February 7, 2013 13:07 Re: MachineIDCreator #224218
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello dihu2,

For help on your issue please try installing AVG in advanced mode with unticked AVG Secure Search (Toolbar).

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 12, 2013 20:16 Re: MachineIDCreator #229006
Fix89

Novice
CarLee2651 wrote
I just formatted and reloaded WinXP/SP3. During the AVG 12 install, I keep getting a message saying "MachineIdCreator Application has encountered a problem and must close." I closed the error box a few times, and AVG installed, but what's the problem here -- and the fix, please? (The same thing happened before I formatted the hd and tried installing.)
Thanks for any help!

This bug is still present in the 2013 edition of AVG Free, as I discovered after doing a first-time installation. Interestingly, the error message did not appear immediately, but took a few days to occur.

:wink: The fix was a little complicated because what I thought was complete removal (using Revo Uninstaller and AVG's built-in uninstaller) and then re-installing was not enough - the same MachineIdCreator error msg popped up (referring to AVG file avguidx.dll) even though the 2nd installation did not have Secure Search included.

Further investigation showed that Revo Uninstaller plus AVG's uninstaller did not remove all parts of AVG: it left avguidx.dll on C-drive (at "Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\AVG April 2013 Campaign") and several entries in the Windows Registry, including AVG Secure Search (in HKEY_Local_Machine -->AVG Secure Search).

First it was necessary to manually delete the .DLL file & its folder, followed by a Registry cleaner that could search for and delete all AVG items (or, if you have experience with the Registry and are not afraid to modify it, you could manually search through it and delete all AVG entries one-by-one, but back it up first). Next, reboot and reinstall AVG making sure to uncheck all the extra AVG items you are asked about in the beginning of the install process, especially Secure Search.

Now it seems to run OK. One hopes that AVG will be able to to eliminate this problem soon, as quite a few people have been complaining about it for some time.