Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction
Page 1 of 2 12››
July 18, 2012 18:01 What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212780
lamuse

Novice
Hello:

I keep getting a pop up via my win patrol to verify if I want to approve the addition of AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction at start up...

Exactly what is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction and what actions does it do?

I've disabled it for now if this is a legit feature of AVG, will enable if it's not going to play havoc with my searches and computer.

Thank you.
July 18, 2012 18:42 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212785
deborahh

Novice
I have received this same pop up via Win Patrol today-

Can someone verify what it is?

Thank you
July 18, 2012 18:51 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212788
DTCan

Novice
Also receiving this PERSISTENT (every few minutes) WinPatrol alert interrupting other activities.

July 18, 2012 19:04 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212791
BIG AL 43

All Users

I keep getting a pop up via my win patrol to verify if I want to approve the addition of AVG Secure Search

This may well be a third party application addition related to FAQ #4934?.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
July 18, 2012 19:32 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212801
lamuse

Novice

Thank you for your reply but with all do respect, my original question was not specifically answered.

By saying this "may well be" and referring me to another page that has not information about this does not confirm this pop up is a legit AVG update or add-on nor has a specific description of what this is and what it does been provided.

The referral page only discusses various things about the AVG security toolbar including third party stuff but I do not see this persistent exe file mentioned.

A further search of AVG's site/content revealed the following:

Search Results
Sorry, no results for "HF_G_Jul.exe" were found.

If AVG is going to send out persistent AVG executable files on any product line, AVG should note on it's website what is or isn't legit since AVG is, after all, a computer security software provider.

Therefore, by answering my question with "this may well be" indicates that this may or may not be a legit AVG update/add-on and the lack of an adequate answer does not instill confidence in AVG's product and services.

It would be in AVG's best interest to provide specific information that is easily accessible and explains precisely what AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction is, does, how it showed up on mine (and others) computer and why it will not stop trying to install itself.

I feel the lack of information provided leaves me with no other alternative than to remove the AVG security Toolbar.

I do appreciate your attempt to help.

Thank you and have a nice day.

edited to add: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4675

If this is related to the new toolbar, then that would be nice to know. I also suggest that when/if AVG adds a new feature or update and mentions it per the link above, that they also date the article such as "On such and such a date, we released a new improved version..." and you should be receiving this automatically, yada yada..."

I like AVG's products but when I receive an exe.file that is already installed on my computer that is this persistent and continues to pop up demanding I install it every five mins or so, naturally, I'm concerned.

July 18, 2012 19:54 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212807
deborahh

Novice
I appreciate the link to the FAQ about third party software used to install
AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search. Both have been installed on my computer prior to today's pop up message.

Today, I only updated AVG thru it's interface and the message about an executable file from AVG appeared shortly thereafter from Winpatrol.

Is this file safe or not?
Thank you
July 18, 2012 20:12 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212808
BIG AL 43

All Users

For your further guidance/info please see the AVG Community Team Announcement post @ the top of Information forum area.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
July 18, 2012 20:21 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212809
lamuse

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
All Users

For your further guidance/info please see the AVG Community Team Announcement post @ the top of Information forum area.

Could you provide a direct link to this specific announcement -- there are several threads and don't see any with this specific issue mentioned.

Thank you.
July 18, 2012 21:33 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212812
DTCan

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
All Users

I keep getting a pop up via my win patrol to verify if I want to approve the addition of AVG Secure Search

Thank you for the above information, but there is no real solution provided

The only applications I have installed of thoise listed are those under:

Speedtest (Ookla) TuneUp Utilities
AVG Anti-Virus
AVG Internet Security
Standalone Toolbar

I've had AVG and WinPatrol installed for some time and TODAY is the first time this warning has popped up.... and now it's persistently popping-up every few minutes.

Since (from the above info) it's apparently part of the AVG download package, the company should be able to advise whether it's safe to allow at start-up, OR provide instructions how to uninstall securely and completely.

FYI, I have disabled and removed AVG secure Search from my browser (IE9) with no effect on the problem.

The persistency of this EXE file is alarming, especially since there is NO info on the AVG website anywhere concerning what it does and/or if we are somehow successful at eradicating it, whether it will adversely affect the BASIC security protection in AVG.

As a near decade long loyal AVG user (free and Paid) it's very frustrating that there is no definitive information on the AVG website about this program module. If a solution isn't provided quickly I guess it's time to switch Anti-virus vendors.
July 18, 2012 21:34 Re: What Is AVG Secure Search\HF_G_Jul.exe /DoAction #212813
lamuse

Novice
Update: I contacted AVG support via phone and have forwarded them a copy of the file and a diagnostics report -- they say it will take 3-5 days to get back with an answer.

I set this file to "disabled" in winpatrol, rebooted my computer and it's still trying to install.

Until I hear back from AVG, I will be uninstalling the security toolbar and then reinstall it and see if that solves the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12››