Folder AVG Forums » Other AVG products » PC Tuneup » Disk Doctor Scan; Errors On PC Startup
July 12, 2012 23:34 Disk Doctor Scan; Errors On PC Startup #212279
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
BabyJane91

Novice
Our Computer: Windows XP

Hi, I recently purchased a copy of PC Tuneup for my in-laws to help them keep their computer clean and in good shape. I've used the program myself many times with no issues until now.

Last night we ran a scan with the AVG Disk Doctor application, it found errors in the disk so we decided to "Deep Scan and Fix Selected". It then said that the Disks needed to be dismounted so we selected "schedule scan on reboot if unable to dismount" and "forced dismount". Now here is where the problem starts. We left it to scan overnight and when we went to check it this morning it said the scan had finished, and we continued to the select account screen on Windows. When we attempted to select an account to log-on to it would not load the desktop, it stays frozen showing the users background image, nothing else. We tried rebooting the computer, but it starts to scan again every single time, and again won't load any of the computer user's desktops.

Is there a way to by-pass the scan? Or some way to fix this issue? My in-laws would very much like access to their computer again. Thank you kindly.
July 18, 2012 10:44 Re: Disk Doctor Scan; Errors On PC Startup #212720
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello BabyJane91,

For help on your situation please try boot in Windows Safe Mode.
Run registry editor and edit value of BootExecute (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager) and enter autocheck autochk *

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
April 22, 2013 01:47 Re: Disk Doctor Scan; Errors On PC Startup #228153
bbachrac

Novice
:angry:

BabyJane91 wrote
Our Computer: Windows XP

Hi, I recently purchased a copy of PC Tuneup for my in-laws to help them keep their computer clean and in good shape. I've used the program myself many times with no issues until now.

Last night we ran a scan with the AVG Disk Doctor application, it found errors in the disk so we decided to "Deep Scan and Fix Selected". It then said that the Disks needed to be dismounted so we selected "schedule scan on reboot if unable to dismount" and "forced dismount". Now here is where the problem starts. We left it to scan overnight and when we went to check it this morning it said the scan had finished, and we continued to the select account screen on Windows. When we attempted to select an account to log-on to it would not load the desktop, it stays frozen showing the users background image, nothing else. We tried rebooting the computer, but it starts to scan again every single time, and again won't load any of the computer user's desktops.

Is there a way to by-pass the scan? Or some way to fix this issue? My in-laws would very much like access to their computer again. Thank you kindly.

I have just had the same problem on a Windows 8 computer
I probably have to reinstall the operating system!