Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!!
July 1, 2012 21:45 Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #211286
Annoyed_Octopus

Novice
I hate this! It seems to be impossible to remove.

Tell me how to remove AVG secure search NOW!

I have waste my day trying to do it and am trying terribly hard not to swear in this message.

You have purposely made it invasive and persistant.

Get rid of it now.

What is worse is that you sell virus software! This is as bad.

I hate it.

July 1, 2012 21:59 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #211289
BIG AL 43

@ Annoyed_Octopus

For help on your situation please look thro' this article.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
July 1, 2012 22:17 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #211290
Annoyed_Octopus

Novice
This does not help with internet explorer

I have disabled it in the search providers (won't let me remove). It still overrides whatever I set as my default browser. I never want to see the thing again.
July 2, 2012 10:58 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #211315
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello Annoyed_Octopus,

Please make sure to remove the AVG Security Toolbar first, if you wish to disable the AVG Secure Search provider completely. More information on removing the AVG Security Toolbar can be found in this FAQ article.

Let us know the results.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support

July 10, 2012 01:16 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #211974
WWarthog

Novice
I concur with the "Get rid of this useless AVG secure search". The sorry excuse for a program evidently snuck onto my computer via some obscure check box I didn't see while installing another program, and proceeded to install itself into every piece of browser software I have installed (I use several different browsers, as some are better at some things than others) as the "default search" choice. And the ****** thing keeps popping up after multiple attempts to get rid of it.

I can tell you this much, AVG has destroyed any possibility that I will EVER use ANY product they put out. This intrusiveness is as bad as any of the viruses they purport to prevent.

I have used their "free" anti-virus at home and actually had the paid version installed at work. But no more and never again. The paid version has been uninstalled...PERMANENTLY. (as has the "free" package).
July 10, 2012 14:56 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #212022
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello WWarthog,

We would like to inform you that the AVG Security Toolbar uninstaller is available in the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. It is necessary to uninstall it prior changing internet browser settings as mentioned here.

Do not hesitate to provide us with the feedback to our products by filling in the AVG Product Feedback Form.

Hopefully one day we will get your confidence again.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support

September 8, 2012 06:38 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #215962
KwightPistofftoo

Novice
If AVG could be made into a physical thing...

...I would dip it in crazy glue then stick it firmly, and permanently under the rim of my toilet.

And I would go out of my way not to clean said toilet for a very long time.

I feel sorry for Big Al & the TechBuddy - it falls to them to apologize for a flagrantly awful product. Product is actually the wrong word - as that implies something that is purchased out of free will. Secure Search is more like an STD. It's acquired, perhaps through varying degrees of culpability, but it's certainly not wanted. Since I've worked at gas stations in my life, I'm going to avoid the urge to treat these two as living embodiments of AVG. So, Al & Buddy, read this with that in mind. Have a gleeful, inward sneer at your bosses. I get it. Being demeaned with a title like "TechBuddy" deserves some portion of vengeance, after all.

In my case, I downloaded PDFCreator - an awesome program - and actually *did* notice the tick-box. The thing is, in this case, I was presented with three options, none of which was "install nothing from AVG." Secure Search (minus the toolbar) was the most minimal installation option.

So like saying "OK" when a 3-armed, green, and somewhat off-smelling sex trade worker says, "Hey, 'wanna date?", I continued with the installation knowing full well I'd have something to get rid of afterwards.

Imagine my surprise at how well hidden AVG Secure Search was, and how persistent. While I'm sure the party line is that the Service is Simple and Easy to un-install, I'm equally certain that the spirit behind its design was to make it as easy to get rid of as HIV.

To say I was PO'd is an understatement. I was so PO'd, in fact, that I went to all the trouble to sign up for this forum, and write a 500-page post. I'm even re-reading right now to check for spelling mistakes. Many companies in the world spend millions of dollars to elicit this kind of motivated response from potential customers, so in some ways AVG has achieved something special. Unfortunately for AVG, though, it's in the direct opposite direction from what they'd probably like.

The same as WW, I've bought AVG software in the past. Also like WW, there is absolutely no way that I would ever use - let alone buy - AVG *anything* again. I once heard a beautiful phrase to describe this degree of unlikelihood, although I don't recall the precise attribution. It was said by a female in response to a male who had suggested she fellate him:

"I wouldn't suck your {phallic colloquialism} if I was drowning in a river of snot, and there was oxygen in your {colloquialism for testicles}!"

To put it in other terms more my own, I'd sooner give my credit cards and social insurance number, car keys, cat, and mother's home address to a tweaking meth addict than ever consider using anything created, promoted, or otherwise spawned by AVG. Ever.

Well, I feel like I've had my say. Thank for listening/reading, and may the people who designed the delivery system for AVG Secure Search get bedbugs.
September 8, 2012 10:14 Re: Get Rid Of This Useless AVG Secure Search Now!!!! #215966
BIG AL 43

@ KwightPistofftoo

PDFCreator.. Have a look @ this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=215820.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
February 15, 2013 20:32 Disapproved post #224695
ozaffer

Novice
The post has been evaluated as inappropriate and therefore it was disapproved.
May 18, 2013 04:00 Disapproved post #229267
mqtcggtk

Novice
The post has been evaluated as inappropriate and therefore it was disapproved.