Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Update » AVG Won't Update
May 20, 2012 08:37 AVG Won't Update #203357
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
reelworks

Novice
System:
Windows XP Pro Service pack 3
Firefox browser
Verizon DSL

I downloaded AVG Free 2012 about a month ago, so far I've not been able to get it to automatically update, or update at all for that matter.
None of the links in the AVG interface screen work, if I click on the free.avg.com link in the error message, I can't access any webpage. If I open a new window, I can go anywhere I please online.
Windows Firewall is disabled, I run Nvidia Firewall, which I also tried disabled but no change.
For what ever reason AVG won't access the web.
I tried using IE but AVG crashes if I make IE my default browser.

None of the links in the AVG panel will work, not even the 'upgrade from AVG Free' link.

Another note, I also tried to set up AVG on my other two computers and get the same result, even on my laptop running Vista Home. For what ever reason it don't see or connect to the internet through AVG.
May 21, 2012 14:09 Re: AVG Won't Update #203601
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello reelworks,

Please provide us with Gmer and MSinfo32 outputs, and AVG update logs in an archive (zip file) for closer analysis of this uncommon issue.

Just to justify, opening this file through web browser is successful or not?

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 23, 2012 04:11 Re: AVG Won't Update #203843
reelworks

Novice
avgupdm isn't on the list

I can open the above file ok

I attached avgupd.log and msinfo in a zip file

I downloaded and am running Gmer, its been running for almost two hours. I'll attach the results when it finishes.

May 23, 2012 08:17 Re: AVG Won't Update #203869
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello reelworks,

Is the NVIDIA Firewall installed also on other computers with the same issue?
Is possible to connect with affected computer to the Internet through another connection (by friend, some Wi-Fi hotspot, etc.) to avoid possible blocking by used home router/DNS settings?
Can you please provide try to run AVG update again and provide us with log files "avgupd.log" and "avgupd.log.1"? (provided log file had only 5 lines, which did not contain any useful information for the query)

In case the Gmer scan took too long, stop it and provide us with the semi-results at least.

Thank you

AVG Team
May 29, 2012 13:39 Re: AVG Won't Update #204993
reelworks

Novice
Gmer ran all night and still hadn't completed, I gave up and ended the scan. I'll try running it again and getting a report.

I notice that if I right click on the Firefox window that opens if I click the free.avg.com link in the AVG window or popup, it says Firefox is in 'Quirk mode'? I've never seen that before.

If I open another Firefox window, manually typing the same address I get to the AVG homepage, with that window open, the link will work, bringing me to the same page. However, updates still fail.

I've tried downloading files from the update link on the AVG page, but AVG says the file don't contain update info when I run update from file.

My other computers do not run Nvidia's firewall, the Firewall is part of the software pack that came with the video card I'm running. I can turn it off, but it still don't allow me to update AVG.
I run through an all in one router/modem from Verizon, model 7500.
I've had issues with Verizon allowing me to resolve pages in the past but its always been a matter of it refusing either numerical addresses or typed addresses. I've tried another modem, no change.

The webpages listed under tools/advanced settings/url don't work if typed manually, I get a 'nothing here' message.
The window in that section is grayed out, I can't move that window or or change anything. Its as if AVG is protecting it. Not all of the Advanced settings section seems active? I can't change or click on anything under Update or any of the windows below it. Its as if the address within AVG is wrong? (http: guru.avg.com/softw/12-) the rest of the address is not in view and I can't slide the window over to see it. Its a grayed out screen that don't respond.
May 29, 2012 15:53 Re: AVG Won't Update #205029
nemethste

Administrator
Hello reelworks,

Firefox is in 'Quirk mode'

For more information please check this Mozzila article.

Please remove Spybot Software and any other security software you may be using on your computers.

Then please check your DNS and proxy settings.

You may also re-install AVG using AVG remover and see whether issue persists

Also please provide us with Msinfo output and all AVG logs from the other computers you can't update for further analysis.

Thank you.

EDIT.. BIG AL 43.. Re-install link amended to AVG Free version.

AVG Team
June 1, 2012 12:47 Re: AVG Won't Update #205725
reelworks

Novice
I gave up last night after removing AVG completely and three attempts to reinstall failed I downloaded another free antivirus program.
I'd have rather had AVG but I simply didn't have the time to keep at this.
June 4, 2012 08:36 Re: AVG Won't Update #206131
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello reelworks,

Please accept our sincere apologies for these inconveniences with AVG product. Hopefully one day we will get your confidence again.

Thank you.

AVG Team