Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012
Page 1 of 2 12››
May 15, 2012 12:59 Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #202313
MonicaBus

Novice
I have Windows XP and was working with AVG Free 2011. I installed AVG Free 2012 and after installation was completed (no error messages were displayed, it said installation had been completed successfully) I was prompted to restart. After that, the computer would not start anymore, it crashes on the first screen that says "Press TAB for (...), press DEL to enter setup". I tried restarting a couple of times. Some times the computer just crashed there and nothing happened when I pressed TAB or DEL. Other times, after pressing TAB it changed to another screen that said something like "Memory test ok" and some numbers, but it crashed there and nothing happened after.
Please, any help or advice will be highly appreciated.
May 15, 2012 13:46 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #202335
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello MonicaBus,

Could you please describe what exactly is happening during mentioned crash? (restart, turn off, some weird sound, etc.)

Else described situation points to computer booting phase, where Windows has not been started yet (and AVG as well), and looks more like overheating or hardware failure.

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 15, 2012 14:03 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #202341
MonicaBus

Novice
Hi ondraploteny, thank you so much for replying.

Nothing happens during the crash when I try to turn on the computer. It only shows the screen that says press TAB or DEL, no noises or restart occur, it just stays like that. Sometimes pressing TAB will show another screen saying memory test ok and nothing else happens after that (no noises, nothing else appears, nothing happens by pressing any keys). When I press any key, a soft tapping sound comes out of the computer.

Other times it just stays on the first screen, and nothing happens when I press TAB or DEL.

What puzzles me is that the computer was working just fine and this happened immediately after installing AVG 2012 and restarting.
May 17, 2012 12:29 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #202825
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello MonicaBus,

We regret hearing this happened to your computer however this issue is most probably caused by a hardware failure. We recommend contacting local computer repair shop for a closer analysis.

Thank you.

AVG Team

May 18, 2012 22:24 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #203187
smc4256

Novice
smc4256..

Nice hand off AVG. Of course its a hardware issue!!!! I decided to run avg 2012 the same as monicabus.
I had no problems with my computer either but have used your product in the past and did not have a problem.
I now cannot get past the test pages on my computer when I restarted it as per your software directions. thanks for none of your future help for I am sure your support dept will tell me it is a hardware issue just like monicabus who had a working machine until running AVG 2012. Its amazing how the hardware techs have found a way to program their products to crash a system. Oh wait it must be a software issue, take it to a repair shop because we don't know how to fix it.
And no I am not new to computers...
May 21, 2012 10:09 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #203517
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello smc4256,

Let us inform you that AVG is not active even not starting during the BIOS Power-On Self Test (POST). POST test is not influenced by any installed software or driver. AVG is starting during the Windows boot process.

Please provide us with more details about this issue (which POST test is failing, is the BIOS menu available, error message/sound).

Thank you.

AVG Team

May 21, 2012 13:20 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #203581
Sh4wn

Novice
Hang on AVGIDSHA.SYS?..

My Win7 PC won't boot after updating. If I try to boot normally it hangs on the "Starting Windows" screen. If I boot in Safe Mode it hangs on AVGIDSHA.SYS
May 21, 2012 14:02 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #203597
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Sh4wn,

For help on your issue please follow How To Disable AVG When The Operating System Cannot Be Started Properly article.

Thank you.

AVG Team
May 21, 2012 19:43 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #203639
Sh4wn

Novice
Resolved / Running with renamed drivers?..

Thank you. My PC is running again after I renamed all the files in the drivers folder with a .bak extension.

AVG antivirus still loads. I even ran a scan with it. I assume it's running completely off some drivers I found in the System32 directory. Should I reinstall or just leave it?
May 22, 2012 14:25 Re: Computer Won't Start After Installing AVG Free 2012 #203785
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Sh4wn,

If everything is working properly, it is better not to interfere, but you may proceed with complete re-installation if you like.

Thank you.

EDIT.. BIG AL 43.. Link amended to AVG Free version.

AVG Team
Page 1 of 2 12››