Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Default Search Engine Hi-jacked By AVG Toolbar
September 28, 2009 06:59 Default Search Engine Hi-jacked By AVG Toolbar #19999
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
balfiecat

Novice
XP Home SP2
FireFox 3.5.3
AVG 8.5.409
270.13.113/2398 AVG database
Firewall:
ZoneAlarm version:8.0.298.000
TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
Driver version:8.0.298.000
Cable/GCI

Firefox is my default browser but I also have Google Chrome and Internet Explorer installed. Ad-aware by Lavasoft is installed, but has not been used since the AVG toolbar was installed.

I understood that AVG came with the yahoo search bar, but now, as others have complained, AVG/Yahoo has hijacked my browser search engine. My default browser search engine was Google and the Firefox configuration still shows it as being Google, but now when I use the browser search bar the results page is AVG/Yahoo (eg. http://us.yhs.search.yahoo.com/avg/search?fr=yhs-avgb-chrome&type=yahoo_avg_hs2-tb-web_chrome_us&p= etc) instead of google.

I had unchecked the pertinent boxes in the AVG toolbar advanced options when I first installed the toolbar and have restarted Firefox and my computer many times since then, but that did not correct the problem. Neither did disabling all of the AVG add-ons and restarting Firefox. Tonight I unchecked "re-display AVG toolbar" and restarted Firefox just in case by some fluke that would help, but to no avail. Under the Security tab I have all boxes checked and would like to benefit from the AVG surf-shield and active surf shield, but not at the expense of my default search engine.

I realize I can probably uninstall the toolbar to regain control over my default search engine, but I am hoping someone here can offer me an alternative. Any assistance resolving this problem will be greatly appreciated!
September 29, 2009 05:37 Re: Default Search Engine Hi-jacked By AVG Toolbar #20141
balfiecat

Novice
I just resolved the problem, at least for this session. There is a drop down menu to the left of the Fire Fox browser search bar and both Google and Yahoo were listed as options. I do not know if this feature was a recent update or just went unnoticed by me. After I selected Google from the menu all of the tabs or windows I have opened have used Google as the default search engine.

I am certain I never selected Yahoo and Google was my default in my browser configuration so my best guess about what happened is that the AVG toolbar initially hi-jacked the default search engine and due to some interaction between the AVG and Mozilla software the search bar continued to behave as if Yahoo had been selected in the drop down menu.

Perhaps once AVG hijacked the search bar Fire Fox saved the setting as if I'd chosen it and is set up to remember that choice until it is changed regardless of what search engine is identified as the default in the configuration settings.

I have not restarted Fire Fox to see if the fix is permanent but I believe it is.
September 29, 2009 05:43 Re: Default Search Engine Hi-jacked By AVG Toolbar #20143
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
at first small questions, which "field" are you using now for the search?

From Mozilla Firefox in top right corner or in AVG Toolbar? If AVG Toolbar, this field is not possible to change, it will be always using Yahoo or Wikipedia (if set up). The first one should reflect actual settings.

Please check Mozilla configuration - enter url address

about:config

- and check Yahoo is not set up as default search engine in these settings...

Thanks
***************AVG Team