Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG Does Not Scan
Page 1 of 2 12››
April 28, 2012 21:09 AVG Does Not Scan #199579
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
KewlioMZX

Novice
For whatever reason, AVG will not initiate any scans I tell it to do. There's no indication of why it won't go. I just click "Scan Now", and the button gets grayed out for a few seconds, then lights up again and does nothing. Any attempt at specific scans also does nothing. Resident Shield, however, seems to be working fine.
April 30, 2012 10:55 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #199821
nemethste

Administrator
Hello KewlioMZX,

This issue may indicate rootkit infection, hardware failure, software conflicts or program corruption.

Please provide us with Gmer scan results, Msinfo output and all AVG logs for further analysis.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
April 30, 2012 23:13 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #199895
KewlioMZX

Novice
Log..

While I was waiting, I decided to try reinstalling AVG. After trying multiple times to install it -- many of those times met with an unknown failure -- I finally got it to install again, and was again met with a problem recognizing my license key, which seems to happen every time I install the thing. I end up having to re-enter my license info (which it still doesn't appear to recognize right away), restart, and then it works again, but in a crippled state. LinkScanner is not active and will refuse to activate, the update manager requests a restart for *every* update (including database files), and yes, the user-initiated scan options still do not work.

Here are the logs you asked for. I hope this issue can be resolved, because I am thoroughly annoyed, and am considering looking for a new protection solution soon.

EDIT.. By the way.. I should mention that gmer's Autorun scan came up empty, which is why it's not included.
May 2, 2012 13:21 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #200095
nemethste

Administrator
Hello KewlioMZX,

Gmer scan results and Msinfo analysis does not indicate any infection or software conflict.

Are you entering license number which begins with IMGH7-4JK6N.... ?

Please try to re-install AVG using AVG remover tool (64bit) as described here and if the issue persists, provide us with screenshot of the AVG User Interface.

Thank you.

AVG Team
May 2, 2012 19:34 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #200151
KewlioMZX

Novice
I am using the correct license key, and I just did a complete reinstall of AVG *with* using AVG Remover (per my previous post), and really don't feel like I need to go through the hassle again. I've pretty much been through all of this already by e-mail. For what it's worth, I can show you what my interface looks like right at this moment.
AVG.png
May 6, 2012 09:04 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #200735
KewlioMZX

Novice
Okay, not only am I growing impatient waiting for a response, but I just restarted my computer and was greeted with this screen (at the bottom-right) that seems to imply I'm using AVG Free, despite having a valid key for Internet Security.

At this point, I'd like a fix, an explanation, or a refund.
AVG conflict.png
May 6, 2012 13:22 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #200765
BIG AL 43

@ KewlioMZX

You're not using AVG Free! This is just providing you with info on another product that's available with AVG http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=theme&act=show&id=215.

Also for your info..

Your posting will no doubt be monitored by the relevant AVG Team. This Announcement post AVG's Community Team Availability is situated in the 'Information' forum area. Please bear in mind that the time is now 15:22 Sunday afternoon in Brno, Czech Rep.. Also please bear this in mind.. AVG support.. Weekends / Holidays.. Have a look @ the 1st part of this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=159703#post_159703 & the 2nd part of this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=188699#post_188699.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 6, 2012 18:35 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #200815
KewlioMZX

Novice
All right... I still kind of wish that it said something other than the exact wording "AVG Anti Virus FREE". That's rather disconcerting.

Doesn't help that I'm kinda frustrated at it... I had quietly put up with the inactive LinkScanner and broken update system for quite a while now, but was quite dismayed when I clicked on "Scan Now" and literally nothing happened...so, yeah.
May 14, 2012 14:52 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #202167
nemethste

Administrator
Hello KewlioMZX,

Sorry for the late response, but your post got buried under others somehow.

To exclude or confirm possible hardware failure, please provide us with results of memory and hard drive health (memtest and scandisk) check.

Thank you.

AVG Team
May 18, 2012 03:26 Re: AVG Does Not Scan #202985
KewlioMZX

Novice
Here. Sorry for the big spot of light in the picture (my phone seems to have made a conscious decision to use flash without my telling it to), but it's pretty clear that there was no problem with the memtest.
Page 1 of 2 12››