Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Update » [SOLVED] New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer
Page 1 of 2 12››
March 9, 2012 20:48 [SOLVED] New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195058
Phillip Brandau

Novice
Never Happened Before...

AVG would previously update seamlessly. Now the program requires a daily restart of my machine; taking a couple hours out of my time for business on it as I have to restart all my programs and logins.

I contacted chat support and was informed that this was my fault by my changing of settings which would have caused this. I am also told I could pay to have this fixed.

I currently run the free edition of this program and was looking forward to purchasing the full edition when funds became available. Unfortunately it seems that there is either lack of support for this issue, unless I pay a fee.

I used to recommend this software to all my business partners, non profits and family friends. It now seems that I will be deterred from using this program and changing my recommendation, unless someone else can offer me some support.

For years this was in my and many colleagues’ opinions the best out there. I hate to lose something that I have so much trust with, as well as proven effectiveness, but I cannot afford to lose 10+ hours a week trying to keep something that no longer works for me.

Can someone tell me what is going on?
Is this the new update procedure?
Are the daily updates going to stop requiring computer restart? (I understand some updates require this, but in my past experience AVG never had to do this weekly, let alone daily)
Is there something that I can change to fix this without leaving my database out of date?

I've yet to ever change a setting since I installed this quite a while ago. So, I would really appreciate some assistance to whatever is ailing this, or even just an explanation; as the one I just received isn't very appealing.

I respect AVG more than any other security software distributor out there. But actions and explanations as the following given above show a lack of respect for the consumer, and that I cannot respect.
March 10, 2012 00:27 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195069
BIG AL 43

@ Phillip Brandau

taking a couple hours out of my time for business.. I cannot afford to lose 10+ hours a week

Just to clarify a point in passing.... I hope you are not using AVG Free on a system in conjunction with a business or for financial gain.... Just for your info this is the standard info. on the AVG Technologies website.... AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. Use of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

Have a look @ Weekly Overview: 49/2011 (Scroll Down).. AVG requesting system restart repeatedly.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 10, 2012 01:56 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195074
Phillip Brandau

Novice
Non Business Use..

To BIG AL 43

I do use AVG Free, and it is my home computer for personal use. I do not use this computer to distribute any media, or create any product in which I can make a financial gain off of.

Previously I worked for a computer service company in which we serviced quite a few businesses. Often our recommendations would lead to purchases of software like and including AVG.

Currently I work within the cellular technologies industry. I use my home computer personally for video/audio editing as well as a backup device of all my home media.

When I reference to business I am referencing both what I do on my free time as well as periodicals, news articles, manufacturer surveys that otherwise I would not be able to keep up with at the office.

This device is my own personal property and currently in no way affiliated with my corporation other than the emails I retrieve off of my Gmail.

I believe this warrants personal use device, at least I hope so. As I stated before, I highly appreciate AVG's technologies and therefore I hope I am following the correct protocols.
March 10, 2012 05:36 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195075
Phillip Brandau

Novice
The message I keep getting with automatic updates is as follows:

"Your computer needs to be restarted in order to finish the updating process (AVG cannot update important services while the system is using them)."

This used to happen very rarely, in essence only once every two weeks to every month. Now it is a daily reoccurring.

I am just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or any information I can get on it.
March 10, 2012 11:35 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195083
BIG AL 43

Phillip Brandau wrote
I am just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or any information I can get on it.

Just follow the procedure outlined in the 'Weekly Overview: 49/2011' link in the 2nd part of my previous posting!

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
March 11, 2012 16:58 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195150
Phillip Brandau

Novice
updatecomps.cfg.prepare..

The only way I could get this file to appear in the correct folder was by initiating an update that asked for restart of the computer. If I tried to access it after the computer restarted, it was gone.

Before restarting the computer I deleted the updatescomps.cfg (I still have it in my recycle bin) and renamed the other. Before restart it showed database of 2114, but kept trying to update.

Now it reads database of 2112 and keeps sending out General Error on 2114 update attempt. Would you recommend uninstall/re-install of AVG or is there another step I should take first?

Thanks for the help BIG AL 43! I was about to crawl up the wall in aggravation and start growling at people. I thought I was losing my mind.
March 11, 2012 19:15 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195154
BIG AL 43

Phillip Brandau wrote
keeps sending out General Error on 2114 update attempt. Would you recommend uninstall/re-install of AVG or is there another step I should take first?

Have a look @ Weekly Overview: 11/2012 (Scroll Down).. General update error.

Alan
March 12, 2012 17:30 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195212
Dusan Obert

Administrator
Hello Phillip Brandau,

Please perform full reinstallation.

If the update issue reappears afterwards, provide us with update log files and with MSinfo output.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
March 16, 2012 01:08 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195527
Phillip Brandau

Novice
Reinstalled AVG 2012..

I have gone through the process of re-installation, but ended up messing up and getting the trail version. Trying this one more time to make sure everything works right. Updates have been working correct so far.

I originally thought that the new updates were just going to update that way, since obviously sometimes they do. I am glad to see that is not the case.

Thank you everyone for your help. All the Google searches and customer service agents in the world wouldn't have been able to help me this much without the $$$!
March 16, 2012 07:53 Re: New Daily Recurring Updates Requiring Restart Of Computer #195530
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Phillip Brandau,

We are happy to see that your issue is resolved.

Thank you for posting back.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
Page 1 of 2 12››