Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Update » Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current
February 17, 2012 16:28 Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #190925
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Wermfud

Novice
Hi!

I can't seem to find this problem addressed anywhere.
I just got a new Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook running Window 7 Home Edition, and immediately installed AVG. Then I updated a bunch of drivers and uninstalled all the Norton that came on the computer. Now my windows "action center" persists in telling me my "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 reports that it is out of date." But I click update, AVG says update was successful, and the error stays put. AVG control panel says everything is up to date. I updated 7 times this morning. What is going on?

Thanks!
February 17, 2012 17:07 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #190929
BIG AL 43

Wermfud wrote
uninstalled all the Norton that came on the computer

Did you download & run the NAV total removal tool?.... Before Installing AVG.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
February 17, 2012 23:17 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #190976
Wermfud

Novice
Since Norton wasn't ever actually activated, I just used windows' uninstall...
February 18, 2012 14:33 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #191006
will_h

Wermfud wrote
Since Norton wasn't ever actually activated, I just used windows' uninstall...

Yes, that is exactly why you need to use Removal tool. 'windows uninstall' is not enough. Please follow the instructions posted by BIG_AL.

Thank you

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
February 20, 2012 17:37 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #191144
Dusan Obert

Administrator
Hello Wermfud,

If the issue persists after running Norton removal tool, also try to delete Windows repository by using this tool.

Thank you
February 21, 2012 15:37 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #191245
CLU64

Novice
Dusan Obert wrote
Hello Wermfud,

If the issue persists after running Norton removal tool, also try to delete Windows repository by using this tool.

Thank you

Sorry to OP not trying to thread jack, I had a similar problem occur around the time you posted but I never had Norton. I just wanted to reply to confirm that Windows Repository ended up being my problem, and this awesome little tool reset my Action Center and fixed the problem after rebooting!

Thank you for the tool Dusan, and thank you Wermfud for the thread best of luck to you with your issue!
March 11, 2012 00:16 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #195127
Jimminey_Crickets

Novice
Windows Action center asks for update, but AVG 2012 current..

So, I tried to look for solutions to this problem, but I couldn't really find any other threads that offered solutions.

I have AVG FREE 2012, and my computer is a 64-bit Lenovo Win7 PC. I also have Spybot Search and Destroy.

Recently, I also got the following alerts about the status of my AVG from the action center:

Spyware and unwanted software protection:
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 reports that it is out of date

Virus protection:
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 reports that it is out of date

Well, if I'm not wrong, I updated my AVG first, but nothing changed. So I went looking for answers.

I then deleted the windows repository using the tool mentioned previously. I also deleted temporary files and re updating, then I deleted the temporary files again, plus reverted virus database to previous version, then tried updating. Didn't work either.

It's been a long time since I uninstalled Norton, but I got rid of the security scan using the uninstall programs option in the control panel. I also got rid of Mcafee Site advisor and Mcafee security scan plus. through the same method.

I then used the Mcafee remover utility found here
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=441

I did not do the same thing for Norton because, as I mentioned, I removed it a long time ago and had forgotten what version what I was using.

I updated spybot, immunized my com, then scanned for problems using it and found nothing.

After that, I decided to uninstall and reinstall AVG, and I downloaded the AVG FREE 2012 from the AVG website.

I then ran the uninstall AVG option, which I found by entering 'uninstall AVG' in the 'search programs and files' search box in the start menu.

I removed AVG, and linkadvisor and my options my preferences for a search. Once removed, I noticed that my windows defender was out of date, and I updated it.

I then started up the AVG installer and set all my preferences, and installed linkadvisor.

Once AVG had been installed, I saw that the two exact same alerts from the Action Center popped up again.

I started up the update, and after it downloaded a ~70mb file, I checked, and found that nothing had changed.

I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could I have some help with this please?
March 12, 2012 12:59 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #195188
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Jimminey_Crickets,

Please uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy, re-install AVG using AVG remover tool and run delrep utility.

Should the issue persist please provide us with Msinfo output and all AVG logs for further analysis.

Thank you.

EDIT.. BIG AL 43.. Re-Install link amended to AVG Free version.

March 22, 2012 16:24 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #195976
thisma

Novice
nemethste wrote
Hello Jimminey_Crickets,

Please uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy, re-install AVG using AVG remover tool and run delrep utility.

Should the issue persist please provide us with Msinfo output and all AVG logs for further analysis.

Thank you.

March 23, 2012 10:52 Re: Windows Alert AVG Needs Update, But AVG Current #196005
nemethste

Administrator
Hello thisma,

I see that you have not posted in this thread yet. Can you please describe the issue for us little bit more?

Have you performed all the suggested steps from my previous post, especially the part with delrep utility and the issue still persists?

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support