Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 9/8.5 » Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File
Page 2 of 3 ‹‹123››
January 28, 2012 04:30 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189027
ElderJedi

Novice
nemethste wrote
Hello Trash Man,

This bug with growing toolbar log file should be fixed in a newest version.

Please update your AVG in order to fix this issue.

Should the issue persist, please let us know and provide us with compressed log file for further analysis.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us

Regarding AVG Internet Security 9.0.927, the toolbar_log.txt file does indeed grow in size by an average rate of 50kb/s. This file is related to the AVG Security Toolbar of the AVG Internet Security 9.0.927 suite. It is not browser-specific from what I can tell. I do not have it installed in IE9, but I do now in Mozilla Firefox. When I upgraded Firefox to 9.0.1, AVG Internet Security toolbar was installed. Not long after this, I noticed a massively shrinking amount of free space on my drive. Currently, this file can grow to consume 9GB of free space in one day. The contents of the file are mere INFO messages and provide no valuable information other than an acknowledge of the initialization and finalization of an obscure process call.

SOLUTIONS smile :

Uninstall the AVG Security Toolbar. Then you can remove the leviathan log file.

OR

Upgrade to the newest version of AVG as indicated by nemethste. Then you can remove the leviathan log file. (I did this and it seemed to resolve the issue, but I am currently monitoring the issue.)

OR

Uninstall AVG completely and choose a new product. Then you can remove the leviathan log file.

RELEVANT FLUFF baringteeth :

I have been a customer of AVG products for quite some time and always recommend AVG as a viable anti-virus solution. But this is a serious bug in an anti-virus software product. I am a Senior Programmer and I was capable of tracking down the issue after 4 days of intense analyzation. Normal customers will never be able to identify this issue as this file exists in a hidden Windows 7 system folder, not to mention the fact that a hard drive filled to capacity renders the computer system inoperable. Instead of issuing a software patch to repair version 9 and instill trust in your customers, it appears that AVG would rather customers be left helpless in the dark. Even if they found their way to this forum topic, the first representation of your company is this:

"Hello Precepts,

Unfortunately creating of mentioned can not be disabled.
" posted by Pokornyz

This post actually precipitated my response to this matter. And then the same representative offers a false solution:

"The best way to stop the log file increase is to log-off and log-in or restart the computer.
Another possible way is to start the IE9 browser (it should fix the problem in over than 90% of the cases)

After doing the restart, the log file size should not increase anymore; at this point please delete the log file.
" posted by Pokornyz

This does not work at all. I re-authenticated and restarted my computer many times and within a few hours of restart, that leviathan log file was back at it again.

I have 3 days left to renew my subscription and I will use those days to ensure this problem does not exist in the new AVG 2012 version before I choose to renew that subscription as this has caused me a significant waste of my free time and productivity.

ElderJedi
Senior Programmer
January 28, 2012 13:27 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189046
crazygayboy

Novice
AVG Toolbar..

Have had exactly the same problem last two days. My AVG version is 9.0.927 too. And I have a license till 2018. After several attempts to delete the log text file forever I installed only the newest version 10.0.0.7 of the AVG Security Toolbar. The large text file was removed automatically. And all is working fine again. Hope that's helps other people.
January 30, 2012 12:04 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189162
nemethste

Administrator
Hello crazygayboy,

Thank you for letting us know that the issue had been resolved in update.

crazygayboy wrote
And I have a license till 2018

If you have License Key ending with HEMBR-ACED it means that you may had become a victim of the Internet piracy. These cracked keys have expiration dates till 2018.

In that case, we suggest contacting your reseller and demand a refund. Also providing us with any proof of purchase would be most helpful (e-mail you have used for registration of our products, bill, etc..).

Thank you.
February 2, 2012 15:57 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189513
Cougarman69

Novice
nemethste wrote
Hello crazygayboy,

Thank you for letting us know that the issue had been resolved in update.

crazygayboy wrote
And I have a license till 2018

If you have License Key ending with HEMBR-ACED it means that you may had become a victim of the Internet piracy. These cracked keys have expiration dates till 2018.

In that case, we suggest contacting your reseller and demand a refund. Also providing us with any proof of purchase would be most helpful (e-mail you have used for registration of our products, bill, etc..).

Thank you.

I have AVG Free v.2012.0.1913, virus defs 2112/4781, and am having an identical issue. There was a program update loaded recently, and I believe it's occurred since then. My log file was 8GB when I found it. Deleting it doesn't get rid of it. Disabling both safesearch and security toolbars does not fix it. Using Firefox 10. Almost never use IE. Help!!!
February 2, 2012 16:08 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189517
Cougarman69

Novice
I've found a quick way to bypass the file growth anyway... I set the file to read-only in it's properties, and the growth stopped. This is only a temporary measure, and I believe a fix is needed. I can't determine what is writing to the file. Also, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition. Thanks!

Jonathan
February 3, 2012 05:28 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189607
Malferg

Novice
This morning my wife's PC ran out of hard disk. It runs Windows 7 32-bit. After much hunting I found the problem, toolbar_log.txt file at 40.75GB and growing. Managed to delete it, but it grew back at approx 4MB/min. Found this thread and killed the process vprot.exe and stopped it. Running licensed v9. Will do an upgrade tonight. That's a pretty nasty bug. I assume it arrived in a recent update, would have been nice to see it go away in an update.
February 3, 2012 14:03 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189663
reggielamson

Novice
50G log file..

AVG Free 2012.0.1913 Defs: 2112/4783

Same problem, remove the 50G log file. Ended up changing it to read only to stop it from growing.
February 4, 2012 00:52 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189717
ElderJedi

Novice
According to AVG, upgrading from AVG version 9 to AVG 2012 will solve the issue of the toolbar_log.txt file growing out of control. IT IS A LIE!!!

That damn file is back and currently 11.2 GB!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad I waited and did not renew my license. It expired 5 days ago and I have been waiting to see if that file started up its trouble again. And guess what?????

So you will not be getting any of my money. By the way, two years ago I paid $45 for a two year license. Now it is $50 for a one year license! How can AVG justify a 100% price increase for an inferior product?

And you can bet damn sure I will recommend AGAINST purchasing your product to everyone I know. And trust me, being a Senior Programmer at a large corporation, people ask me my opinion on anti-virus products.

AVG = Accelerated Volume Gobbler and I'll have none of it.
February 4, 2012 09:07 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #189729
Malferg

Novice
Did the upgrade from v9 to 2012 and then the update last night. Never installed the toolbar. Looks to be OK.
Mal
February 5, 2012 12:09 toolbar_log.txt #189828
J Isles B

Novice
This problem must be affecting many users but seems to be being treated as a minor issue. For most people a warning that the disk is full is not going to enable them to identify AVG as the cause or get to this thread. I have three computers which are all showing this problem.

I have one temporary fix which works for me. If you rename the file (at least my file manager Directory Opus allows this ) it can then be deleted. But within days the file will again grow. Opening Internet Explorer 9 also seems to release it and allow deletion. I have upgraded to the most recent edition which seems to have stopped it growing. The last entry is when I shutdown and restarted after re-installation
Page 2 of 3 ‹‹123››