Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG Network Protection » AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser
Page 1 of 7 1234››
January 24, 2012 20:11 AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188642
romansroad

Novice
I have disabled the add on (can't remove it...hmmmmm) and yet my normal homepage (google) is replaced by "AVG Secure Search". I reset it and reboot only to have it return the next day. I've trojans easier to get rid of than this....a product I paid for!!!

AVG moderator: How do I remove, not just disable this?

I hear Norton calling...... :angry:
January 24, 2012 20:40 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188650
romansroad

Novice
ARGHHHH..

Just got off the chat with support who wants to charge me (even though I have a paid multlicense) so that AVG can fix the problem that AVG created with the 2012 update.

Outrageous.

I have used and paid for AVG for years on multiple systems.....unless they change this trend, I will be forced to engage other software.
January 24, 2012 23:32 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188661
romansroad

Novice
follow up....

So, here's how it works. THe first load of the homepage goes to Google, as it should. Any subsequent tabs opened, are HIJACKED by AVG "secure search".

It is outrageous that AVG would do this without my consent and beyond insulting that they want to CHARGE me to fix their problem. Who do they think they are......Democrats in Congress?
January 24, 2012 23:51 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188665
romansroad

Novice
fixed....but still will FIRE AVG..

No thanks to AVG, but discovered they auto set the 2012 to intentionally hijack my new IE search tabs.

At the far bottom right of the hijacked tab, there is a tiny "settings" bar. You can use this to disable the hijack.

AVG, this is so sad. Used to be the best, but now just malware in disguise. All my corporation workstations will have AVG removed immediately.

See ya.
January 25, 2012 12:08 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188704
nemethste

Administrator
Hello romansroad,

We are sorry to hear that you had bad experience with our tech support.

Should you be experiencing some issue with AVG or with infection in future, you may always contact us here on forums.

Can you please provide more information about your case? Such as case number or provide us with e-mail address you have used to register our products so we can investigate the case further.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
January 25, 2012 20:53 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188781
romansroad

Novice
follow up..

To the AVG moderator: you can reach me via the email I used to register with your site. Not wise to post it here.....as to the case# with support....well there is none as I wouldn't pay to have it addressed. Frankly, the support team should have known how to fix the issue without launching into the "you must pay" script. I explained it clearly, and they just shuffled me around and tried to get me to pay to fix an intentional design by AVG to hijack my tabs.

Sorry, but sometimes its the little things that sour an otherwise great business model.
January 25, 2012 22:06 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188786
JonP01

Novice
Disappointed with this Toolbar..

Hello,

I would like to complain about this feature as well. This AVG Security Toolbar issue has been driving me up the wall for several weeks now and has effected each of the two machines I run in the exact same manner.

This AVG Secure Search homepage has not only been continually over-riding my existing homepage, but it has also been over-riding my new tab preferences. When I open a new tab, I want recently opened pages to appear, yet this keeps gettings reset all the time to show the AVG Secure Search homepage.

To make matters even worse, each and very time I try to disable the AVG Security Toolbar add-on, it keeps asking me if I want to re-activate it. And then I tried to follow the instructions on removing the toolbar and I find this isn't even possible - it is not an available option in the AVG 2102 installer - at least when you run it after the product is already installed.

If I had known what this AVG Security Toolbar was going to do to my computer there is no way in the world I would ever had allowed it to be installed to begin with.

And I agree 100% with what the original poster said - this has been far more annoying for me than the very things your product is designed to keep us safe from. I would rather have been a victim to a virus or spyware than this incredibly annoying feature which just keeps on popping up again and again and overriding my chosen settings.

And now I read that AVG wanted to charge this person to solve a problem that was 100% of AVG's doing. Well that in itself is as unbelieveable as it is disappointing. I for one will have seriously consider renewing my AVG licence when it is due and I would hope at the very least you would make it far easier to permanently disable unwanted "features" like this and additionally provide us with an un-installer specifically designed just to remove this toolbar (along with whatever code the product contains which keeps over-riding IE9 new tab behaviour).
January 26, 2012 12:49 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #188836
nemethste

Administrator
Hello all,

We appreciate ideas and opinions of our customers.

Please fill in our Customer Feedback Form if you have some ideas, positive or negative experience related to AVG products.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
February 1, 2012 11:10 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #189348
Aurasorts

Novice
Any options on Firefox?..

Hi,

I've come across this after discovering the same updated 2012 problem with Firefox. Unfortunately the small control option on IE is not even present on Firefox and Tech Support have suggested simply re-downloading AVG and turning the Search options off. However, I have removed this option and now managed to ditch the AVG hijacking the first home page, but it still diverts all new tabs as well as hijacking the search as the powered by AVG Search. As far as I can see I have reset everything in the about:config after removing the AVG features first and this is still ongoing.

Frankly this is a total disgrace. I moved to AVG originally for my company because of their reputation for simple, straightforward programmes that weren't memory hungry. And now they've taken my money and built in features that completely hijack our browsing experience and cannot be removed.

Can anyone help before I demand my money back on this?
February 2, 2012 04:49 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #189440
-aikanaro-

Novice
I have the same issue and i am becoming homicidal over it!!!!!!!!!

I hate hate hate software that do this and companies that think they know how we want something to act.

I refuse to use google because in the early days it loaded itself onto your browser and even though it took me 2 months to get rid of it.. I did and never used google as a search engine again at home or work.

I had a paid subscription to trend anti virus and they too decided they knew what was best for me so they too had there software deleted from the computer and were never used again at home or work.

The above poster is correct, it is nothing but malware and avg should be ashamed of themselves for infecting our computers with malicous software when they repute to be able to remove it.

Page 1 of 7 1234››