Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » [SOLVED] AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus
January 3, 2012 16:08 [SOLVED] AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186449
Ed Lecuyer

Novice
Hello.

I am the product manager for MyTopo's Terrain Navigator Pro. We released version 9.0 of our application on 12/30/2011. Unfortunately, AVG reports a "false positive" on our application, indicating that it is a Trojan horse cryptic.DAS virus.

I reported this issue to AVG on 11/23/2011 - as soon as it was discovered during our beta testing process. When it was not corrected expeditiously, I reported it a second time, and received case number AVG#0004247132 on 12/19/2011. The email response from Catherine Feliciano indicates that this false positive would be addressed in the next update.

Our mutual customers are continuing to report that the issue remains unresolved. In at least one case, AVG destroyed the entire application install after the user attempted to exempt our application from AVG. I verified the issue persists as of this writing using AVG Version 2012.0.1901; Virus database version 2109/4720 dated 01/03/2012 2:34am; LinkScanner version 830.

Among other items, Terrain Navigator Pro is commonly used by Search and Rescue professionals to save the lives of missing children, hikers, and accident victims. Know that by not resolving this issue, AVG is endangering the lives of people whose assistance is aided by Terrain Navigator Pro.

No other major security software product has this error. AVG does not report a false positive on previous versions of Terrain Navigator Pro. Other than mandating the use of other security software to my customers, how will this issue be resolved?

Thank You,

-Ed Lecuyer
Product Manager, MyTopo Terrain Navigator Pro
---- email address removed to protect you from spammers ----
January 3, 2012 17:10 Re: AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186456
BIG AL 43

@ Ed Lecuyer

For your info....

The AVG Team are now monitoring this new AVG Forums so someone should spot your posting! They may enter the forum @ anytime. Look out for the AVG logo avatar! The AVG Team are based @ Brno in the Czech Rep but please bear in mind it's now Tuesday evening there (Czech Rep time 18:10). Also have a look @ this Announcement post link How To Ask For Help In AVG Forum Extract.... Please be patient as AVG employees are available in CET working hours and you may not get an answer immediately.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
January 4, 2012 13:31 Re: AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186530
jirka82

Administrator
Hello Ed Lecuyer,

...I reported it a second time, and received case number AVG#0004247132 on 12/19/2011. The email response from Catherine Feliciano indicates that this false positive would be addressed in the next update.

I can confirm that the terpro.exe file (file version 9.0.0.0, MD5 checksum 2f4400f3faa7d9e340d8e0ce6b4605d0) provided in password protected archive TerrainNavigatorPro.zip received as the mentioned AVG#0004247132 case is not detected by AVG with virus database 2109/4720 nor with current 2109/4722 (AVG program version 2012.0.1901).
Possibly another file, or newer version of the file is detected falsely. If so, please provide us with the file which is detected at the moment in a password protected archive in response to AVG#0004247132 for analysis. Please include also a screenshot of the detection window.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Our mutual customers are continuing to report that the issue remains unresolved. In at least one case, AVG destroyed the entire application install after the user attempted to exempt our application from AVG.

Please see FAQ #4503 for more information on how to restore removed files from AVG Virus Vault. User will be able to restore all detected files. If these are still being detected, the files could be added to AVG Resident Shield detection exceptions (open the AVG user interface -> click on the Anti-Virus component -> click Manage exceptions and Add Files which are detected falsely). After the situation is rectified, we recommend removing these temporary exceptions to make sure the files are still being scanned (and detected, if infected by malicious code).

Thank you for your cooperation.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
January 4, 2012 17:02 Re: AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186563
Ed Lecuyer

Novice
Follow up Submitted..

As instructed above, I have emailed the final executables for version 9.0 of Terrain Navigator Pro and Terrain Navigator Pro Network Edition. As requested, screen shots from virusscan.jotti.org are included in the .zip file.

As part of the final build process, the executables are signed automatically with a security certificate. This is done with each install build. Thus, each subsequent build will have a *slightly* different exe. I have enclosed both pre-signed and signed versions of the .exes. Your fix should accommodate future signatures, as we will undoubtedly continue to revise and improve our application.

We would also be interested in knowing what is triggering this issue so that we can modify our source code so that future revisions of our software do not cause the same issues with AVG.

Thank you.
January 5, 2012 14:42 Re: AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186678
jirka82

Administrator
Hello Ed Lecuyer,

If AVG detected different versions of the same application repeatedly, our virus analyst will redefine its fingerprint (specific parts of the code which are used to identify it properly). For this purpose, we would need more files should the issue reoccur in future. Better than providing the files after they are detected by AVG, is to have them examined before releasing AVG virus database update. I think you could be interested in AVG Whitelisting service. Please see this web page for more information.

Thank you.
January 5, 2012 20:56 Re: AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186726
Ed Lecuyer

Novice
I am pleased to report that the AVG update of 1/5/2012 appears to correct the false detection of Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 as a virus. I thank the folks at AVG who fixed it.
January 6, 2012 08:55 Re: AVG Incorrectly Detects Terrain Navigator Pro 9.0 As Virus #186773
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Ed Lecuyer,

We are glad to hear that the issue had been resolved, thank you for posting back

Have a nice day.