Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 9/8.5 » Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File
Page 1 of 3 123››
December 21, 2011 06:31 Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #185248
Precepts

Novice
I am using AVG Paid-version for many years now. This is something new to me. I would like to remove the text file in Windows 7 - Windows/Temp - --> toolbar_log.txt file. It keeps on generating into bigger log file size. On AVG website, it mention CFG, however I do not know - which name of file - from its Log file. I do not wish to have such uncontrollable --> toolbar_log.txt - a file that keeps on generating larger logs, and when its deleted, it continues to generate further. I hope AVG will not have such log text within its system. So please help to give details guidelines how to remove it permanently, or to reduce to 0-1kb. Thank you.

December 22, 2011 08:38 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #185384
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Precepts,

Unfortunately creating of mentioned can not be disabled.

In order to analyze your situation please provide us with mentioned log file.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
January 19, 2012 06:38 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188036
michbx

Novice
Details..

Hi,

This seems clearly a bug... or is it some sort of virus hiding in vprot.exe .

Anyways, I had the same issue:
- Killing the process vprot.exe would allow me to delete or access the toolbar_log.txt file .
- On my 64GB hard drive laptop, the toolbar_log.txt file grew to 3GB completely filling my hard drive...
- The toolbar_log.txt file contains only a long list of the following:
10:04:30 | CIEApproveExtension::EnumWindowsProc: End ||

10:04:30 | CIEApproveExtension::EnumWindowsProc: Start ||

(file too large to attach, but I think the above should be enough to identify the issue.

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Best regards, Michael
January 19, 2012 12:48 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188057
nemethste

Administrator
Hello michbx,

Please compress the the toolbar_log.txt file into archive (it should reduce its size very significantly) and provide us with it.

Also please send us System Event Logs and Msinfo output for further analysis.

Thank you.

January 22, 2012 20:28 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188373
bobso

Novice
According to my defragger; toolbar_log.txt is made up of 17,246 parts and is 3.06 GB in size. That is a big waste of disk space and a lot of fragmentation caused by one useless (to the owner of the machine) file. AVG plants its seeds all over a computer when it should put all of its seeds in once place so that teh machine owner can keep track of how much space AVG wastes. I have AVG on this machine but have taken it off other machines and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials. When I uninstalled it, I used Revo and learned that AVG plants files in many places.
January 23, 2012 23:30 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188517
sha7697

Novice
nemethste wrote
Hello michbx,

Please compress the the toolbar_log.txt file into archive (it should reduce its size very significantly) and provide us with it.

Also please send us System Event Logs and Msinfo output for further analysis.

It's happening on my Windows 7 32-bit PC too. The toolbar_log.txt files was 5 GB. I deleted it and it was recreated and is now getting bigger and bigger (46 MB as of this moment).

The files requested are attached.

PS. the evtlogs.7z created by your script is a bit over 2 MB so I couldn't upload. So I've zipped the 2 individual files in there and uploading them instead. Also, the web form doesn't allow uploading more than 3 files, so I'm combining msinfo and toolbar_log together.

PS2. I've uninstalled AVG toolbar from Control Panel and the file was not being written to anymore, but it was still there, though I was able to delete it and it wasn't recreated.
January 24, 2012 11:05 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188557
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello all,

I would like to let you know that your situation was transferred to our development.

We will keep you informed in this thread as soon as our developers investigate the situation further.

Thank you
kw 82001
January 25, 2012 08:02 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188681
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello all,

The best way to stop the log file increase is to log-off and log-in or restart the computer.
Another possible way is to start the IE9 browser (it should fix the problem in over than 90% of the cases)

After doing the restart, the log file size should not increase anymore; at this point please delete the log file.

Thank you
January 27, 2012 09:41 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188932
Trash Man

Novice
Pokornyz wrote

The best way to stop the log file increase is to log-off and log-in or restart the computer.
Another possible way is to start the IE9 browser (it should fix the problem in over than 90% of the cases)

After doing the restart, the log file size should not increase anymore; at this point please delete the log file.

Neither of these methods work. The file comes back and continues to grow after you delete it. Your program is seriously flawed and I really don't think people want growing files of death growing on their hard drives. The only way I've found to stop it, is to uninstall AVG completely. I guess this is just the end of what I thought was a great program. It was nice, until now. If the problem isn't solved soon, I'll be moving on. I'm really tired of watching it come back every time I use AVG, and growing to obscene amounts within a matter of minutes.

Please, fix your program.
January 27, 2012 16:13 Re: Please Delete Toolbar Log Text File #188968
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Trash Man,

This bug with growing toolbar log file should be fixed in a newest version.

Please update your AVG in order to fix this issue.

Should the issue persist, please let us know and provide us with compressed log file for further analysis.

Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123››