Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 9/8.5 Free Editions » Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request
December 20, 2011 01:46 Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request #185110
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
beejh50

Novice
Running 9.0.925 on Vista.

I am using Microsoft's Procmon utility as i am monitoring any unusual activity on my system regularly.

Initially another utility Microsoft PROCEXP (similar to Windows taskman) had previously indicated toolbarupdater.exe (TE.exe) was grabbing more than its fair share (fair decided by me here) of CPU cycles and I/O.

PROCMON can then "watch"various process and other activities using filtering options.

I did note that TE.exe performed vast amounts of I/O to c:\$logfile & c:\windows\temp\toolbar_log.txt.

OK question coming.

How can I monitor TE from AVG. Can I see what it is doing? When it is doing it? can I control its behavior. I had even noticed it 'may' be using quite a lot of bandwidth, but have NOT been to determine this outright as seems to operate using svchost.exe (rather than directly via a browser task).

Can I read about this AVG component anywhere (I did look) as it seems to interact closely with linkscanner which I do find useful.

A FAQ on TE would be a useful link.

December 20, 2011 15:45 Re: Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request #185197
jirka82

Administrator
Hello beejh50,

How can I monitor TE from AVG. Can I see what it is doing? When it is doing it? can I control its behavior.

AVG Security Toolbar logs its activity as described in this How-To article. It is not possible to monitor it from AVG though.
You can disable the vToolbarUpdater service if you'd like to, but this is not supported nor recommended. The service is responsible for silent update of the AVG Security Toolbar.

Can I read about this AVG component anywhere (I did look) as it seems to interact closely with linkscanner which I do find useful.

Detailed information about ToolbarUpdater is not available, unfortunately.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
December 21, 2011 00:50 Re: Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request #185239
beejh50

Novice
Oh OK,

You can't even give a small clue like typical resource usage (CPU, disk, network I/O), how often the silent update of toolbar occurs? How much it typically downloads?

Stalemate accepted.

Rgds Brian
December 21, 2011 13:01 Re: Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request #185278
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello beejh50,

typical resource usage (CPU, disk, network I/O)

typical resource usage is minimal, you should not notice that update of toolbar is running.

how often the silent update of toolbar occurs?

It depends on actual situation but it is similar as program updates(about one update in two months).

How much it typically downloads?

It also depends on situation but usually it is about 200KB but always less than 2MB.

Thank you
December 30, 2011 13:30 Re: Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request #186120
dumbquestion

Novice
ToolbarUpdater..

I just looked at my processes using Windows Taskmanager and i noticed a process that I hadn't seen before - ToolbarUpdater.exe, that was using 5% CPU. I looked this up on the internet and found it was something to do with AVG. Further, you say it was introduced September.2011, and so I ask myself is it really necessary? Additionally I do not use the AVG toolbar, but when I open a new tab my PC displays the AVG logo. I do not wish this to happen, I would like it as it was previously, just a blank page. How do I stop these new effects ? How do I stop ToolbarUpdater running (and save myself 5% CPU ?) ? It is a system process and so I do not want to just want to kill it.

I'd like to operate a minmum necessary system because my PC is getting slow with the unnecessary additions and updates (only a very few from AVG) which I believe are slowing it down

30.December.2011
January 9, 2012 13:44 Re: Toolbar Updater exe Overview Request #187108
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello dumbquestion,

I do not use the AVG toolbar

If you are not using AVG toolbar I suggest you to uninstall it through add/remove component.

when I open a new tab my PC displays the AVG logo.

In order to analyze your situation please provide us with more information(which browser are you using, etc).

Thank you