Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2011 » AVG Network Protection » [SOLVED]On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar
December 6, 2011 08:54 [SOLVED]On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #183593
customer22

Novice
I use the Tabmix-plus addon with Firefox so that a new tab opens in any site I specify (currently Google) but AVG blocks this. There is no option to customize the AVG toolbar. It seems the only option is to disable the AVG toolbar but if I disable the AVG toolbar will active threats continue to be blocked?

All my settings should in theory open a new tab on the webpage I specify but AVG blocks this, AVG overrides my settings. Can this be solved and why can't I customize the AVG toolbar?

angry angry angry

This page is currently out of date because the advanced options can't be accessed any more: http://www.avg.com/special-toolbar-how-to-disable-search-tlbrf.tpl-mcr1

I am using the paid AVG version.
December 6, 2011 09:43 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #183600
customer22

Novice
AVG is rubbish..

Customer support, what a joke!

Live chat: nobody replies.
Email support: not available
Phone support: not available or it directs me to a US number despite the fact that I am in the UK thus I can't afford to ring a US number.

This is the last time I use AVG, I will be upgrading to a Linux OS sometime future, it is pointless to pay for rubbish Windows-based software for a rubbish Windows OS.
December 6, 2011 13:33 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #183634
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello customer22,

In order to analyze your situation please provide us with more information (better description, screenshot, etc).

--
EDIT by jirka82:
Please check our Weekly Overview: 50/2011, 2nd paragraph.
--

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
December 10, 2011 18:20 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #184142
customer22

Novice
While your suggestion did disable the AVG search page on the new tab, your fix means the new tab page will not go to the page I specify, in the new tab, thus it merely says "untitled page" which is useless, whereas I want the new tab page to go to the page I specify and not merely a blank untitled page.

After the recent toolbar update, the AVG toolbar can no longer be customized, which is utterly useless so I have disabled the AVG toolbar therefore with the AVG toolbar disabled my new tab page now goes to the page I want: Google; but despite the AVG toolbar being disabled AVG continues to hijack functions in my browser: the location bar, the Awesome bar, is using AVG secure search but all my search engines are specified to use Google thus I lose some functionality due to the incompetent status of the AVG search engine in my location bar despite the AVG toolbar being disabled.

AVG is acting like a piece of MalWare these days since your recent update. Your customer service sücks.

The bare minimum customization of being able to select a blank untitled page for new tabs us rubbish.

angry angry angry angry angry

Looking forward to finally switching to Linux at some point in the not too distant future. There is no point paying for AVG Malware anymore.

Read the definition of Malware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware AVG is definitely behaving as Malware by hijacking the functions of my browser and not providing the options to customize your interference with my software.
December 12, 2011 13:49 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #184284
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello customer22,

I am not sure what means "the location bar" and "the Awesome bar" please provide us with screenshot so we can help you.

Thank you
December 13, 2011 12:43 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #184378
customer22

Novice
I am not sure what means "the location bar" and "the Awesome bar" please provide us with screenshot so we can help you.

It's the address, URL (Uniform resource locator) field, which Firefox sometimes calls the Awesome Bar.

I assumed you would be familiar with Firefox, here is an explanation of the address field, location field, "awesome" field (bar).

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location%20bar%20autocomplete

"Location bar autocomplete

The location bar is often called the Awesome Bar because it’s great at remembering websites you’ve been to and guessing where you are trying to go. Just type a few letters of a website’s name or address into the location bar and it will find it for you. And the more you use it, the better it gets. This article covers the details of how the location bar works and will have you using it like a pro in no time."

I am being redirected to http://isearch.avg.com/ when I use the search function in the address bar despite the AVG toolbar being disabled. There is no need to send a screenshot because visually it merely looks like a standard Firefox address bar, these questions you ask are irrelevant. The important question to ask is why have AVG removed the option to customize the AVG toolbar? And why despite the AVG browser addon being disabled does AVG hijack my search results?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Location%20bar%20search

"If you enter text into the Location Bar that is not a valid Internet address (URL), Firefox will try to direct you to the location you intended. This article explains how use and customize this feature."

Via AVG hijacking the Awesome Bar AVG has turned off the above function therefore if I now type "bit" in the Awesome Bar I will be directed to the search results for "bit" via http://isearch.avg.com but what should happen is that I should be directed, directly, to http://bitly.com/ or at least I should be directed to Google search results (via Google and not via http://isearch.avg.com) but I am directed to AVG search results.

Is there as AVG representative who knows how to use Firefox?
December 13, 2011 14:01 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #184388
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello customer22,

I assumed you would be familiar with Firefox,

Unfortunately we do not follow Firefox actual marketing names like "Awesome Bar".
To restore "Awesome bar" or "Location bar"(Address bar) search please refer to following steps:

1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
2. The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
3. In the Filter field, type "search".
4. Right click on browser.search.defaultenginename and chose Reset.
5. Right click on browser.search.searchEnginesURL and chose Reset (to restore default search).

The important question to ask is why have AVG removed the option to customize the AVG toolbar? And why despite the AVG browser addon being disabled does AVG hijack my search results?

For more information please read Weekly Overview: 43/2011 section New AVG Toolbar

Thank you
2011-12-13_1439.png
December 30, 2011 11:29 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #186108
GemGem80

Novice
Problem fixed..

Hi,
I was having the same problem as you. After I updated my AVG security it started to hijack my New tabs window. I have fixed this issue though by opening a new tab, then when it default to that AVG screen there is a button saying Settings in the very bottom right hand corner. I clicked this and it brings up a screen giving you the option to disable to AVG Tab default (I can't remember the exact wording) then I clicked ok and this has fixed the problem.
I hope this is of use to someone.

Thanks, Gemgem80.
October 21, 2012 20:15 Re: On Firefox AVG Is Hijacking My New Tab Page & I Can't Customise AVG Toolbar #219019
Hobie558

Novice
Safe Search hijacking my Browser..

How do I get rid of Safe Search.

I cannot do a thing with my browser. Every time I try to access a website it takes me to an AVG search page.

Nothing on the support site regarding removal works or is even possible. Tells me I MUST uninstall the toolbar first. I have no toolbar installed.

I want AVG Foistware gone from my machine.

Really nice for an AntiVirus security company to do exactly what it claims to protect you from..

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=219018