Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2011 » AVG E-mail Protection » 'Enter Network Password'
Page 1 of 3 123››
December 4, 2011 13:27 'Enter Network Password' #183391
hawkeyedh

Novice
I am running XP with Outlook 2003.
Every time I run Outlook and then try to open a message, this first message takes about 2 minutes to open. Then whilst Outlook is running a window comes up asking me to 'Enter Network Password'. If I cancel this it reappears. If I enter data it reappears. This is most annoying and must be some sort of virus that AVG has not spotted.
This problem has been registered on the Windows forum but is unresolved after trying various suggestions.
If there a way of removing this irritant?
December 4, 2011 20:58 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #183413
BIG AL 43

@ hawkeyedh

In conjunction with AVG Tech Support the AVG Team are also now monitoring this new 'paid for' section of the new forum so someone should spot your posting! They may enter the forum @ anytime but perhaps not over the weekend. It may well be Monday morning. Look out for the AVG logo avatar! The AVG Team are based @ Brno in the Czech Rep but please bear in mind it's now Sunday evening there (Czech Rep time 21:58). Also have a look @ this Announcement post link How To Ask For Help In AVG Forum Extract.... Please be patient as AVG employees are available in CET working hours and you may not get an answer immediately.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 5, 2011 14:15 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #183476
nemethste

Administrator
Hello hawkeyedh,

In order to fix this issue you may need to disable folder scanning:

1.) Download and run attached registry file.

2.) Restart the Microsoft Outlook program to apply the changes.

If disabling folder scanning will not resolve the issue, please disable email scanner component, restart MS Outlook again and check the situation.

Also please provide us with Msinfo output and full computer scan results.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
December 7, 2011 22:19 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #183819
hawkeyedh

Novice
Actions update..

Thank you for your response. I tried your suggestions but the overlay still appears.
I am attaching the msinfo and scan results (by way of a print screen as no threats were found).
Please advise any further action.
Many thanks
December 8, 2011 14:29 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #183896
nemethste

Administrator
Hello hawkeyedh,

It happened to be, that in the archive, you provided us with, Msinfo is not present.

To successfully create Msinfo output, please carefully follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key+R.
2. Type msinfo32 into the opened window, and then click OK.
3. Press CTRL+S.
4. Name the file (e.g. as msinfo), and then save it.
5. Compress the saved file and provide it to moderator.

Feel free to contact us again if you need any further assistance.

Thank you for your patience.
December 9, 2011 09:38 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #183985
hawkeyedh

Novice
Update..

Msinfo2 file is attached.
Thanks
December 9, 2011 11:54 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #183994
nemethste

Administrator
Hello hawkeyedh,

Please disable AVG components one by one and confirm whether issue persists.

To confirm whether folder scanning is successfully disabled, as advised in this thread before open registry editor and export us registry key in a path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Avg\Avg10\Outlook.

If you suspect that your computer is infected by malicious software, please provide us with both Gmer scan results for further analysis.

Thank you
December 10, 2011 15:42 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #184134
hawkeyedh

Novice
Query..

Do you mean that I should disable a component each time the overlay appears and then close Outlook and the overlay each time? Does it matter which order I disable the components?

December 12, 2011 11:47 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #184266
nemethste

Administrator
Hello hawkeyedh,

Disable one component, run outlook and wait for message asking for network password to appear.
If it appears again, try to disable another component, run outlook and wait.
If the issue will be resolved by disabling some AVG components, please let us know which one is the cause.

It doesn't matter in which order you disable AVG components.

Also please provide us with before mentioned registry key and both gmer scan results for further analysis.

EDIT:
Every time I run Outlook and hen try to open a message, this first message takes about 2 minutes to open.

For help on you slowdown issue please refer to: Weekly Overview: 50/2011 section MS Outlook is freezing after recent AVG 2012 update.

Thank you
December 14, 2011 12:12 Re: 'Enter Network Password' #184503
hawkeyedh

Novice
Actions update..

After disabling 'scan incoming and scan outgoing messages' I was able to open and send messages without any real delay. However the overlay still appeared at infrequent intervals.
I then disabled 'email protection' completely. I have been in and out of Outlook over the past 2 days and the overlay ' Enter Network Password' has not appeared.
Does this mean that your email component has caused my problems? If so have you got a fix and when can I enable this component?
Many thanks for your prompt help.
Page 1 of 3 123››