Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 9/8.5 » Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe
December 3, 2011 02:12 Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe #183310
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Eightysixx

Novice
Early this morning, my AVG toolbar was updated and since then, I have seen two new processes running in my task manager: toolbarupdater.exe and vprot.exe. Are these concurrent with the new AVG toolbar? Are they absolutely necessary? To me, they're just using up more virtual memory on my laptop than I can afford.
December 5, 2011 08:33 Re: Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe #183439
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Eightysixx,

Toolbarupdater.exe and Vprot.exe are legitimate processes used by AVG. Vprot.exe is part of AVG Secure Search and ToolbarUpdater.exe is a service responsible for performing silent update of the toolbar, therefore is not advised to turn them off.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
December 31, 2011 15:11 Re: Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe #186203
EdInTx

Novice
toolbarupdater exe..

Hello "toolbarupdater.exe" has been running and slowing down my computer. I do not use the AVG toolbar, it is not displayed. Why all this activity for something I do not use? It is slowing down other processes. Too much overhead going on for nothing. It also slowly uses up RAM memory. Start out with a fresh boot and after a few hours there will be several hundred megs being occupied in RAM memory while computer is simply idling with this toolbarupdater thing running. Not good. Please advise a solution for this.
January 6, 2012 13:19 Re: Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe #186799
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello EdInTx,

Please be informed that although you have hidden AVG Toolbar from your browser, it should be updated with its own updates (support newer browser versions, bug fixes, new features), for situation when you would enable AVG Toolbar again (to be fully functional).

You can uninstall AVG Toolbar completely (FAQ) or disable related service:
- use keyboard shortcut WIN + R (dialog Run should be showed)
- enter "services.msc" and confirm OK
- find service named vToolbarUpdater and double-click it
- change service Startup Type to Manual (to be not started after next computer startup)
- you can also stop the service directly

But described behavior about "hundred megs being accupied in RAM memory" should not happen in common environments and we are highly interested in the next analysis. Before you disable/uninstall AVG Toolbar, could you please provide us with dump (Windows XP or Windows Vista/7) of toolbarupdater.exe process occupying mentioned amount of RAM?

Thank you
January 18, 2012 16:06 Re: Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe #187979
EdInTx

Novice
Hello I apologize for not getting back sooner. I have not tried any of your suggestions. Afraid I will mess something up and this is my pnly computer so I leave well enough alone. I would like to know if all this constant activity is normal.

vprot (I think) keeps doing something all night with computer offline just idling. I have everything scans etc turned off at the time so I don't understand this constant activity. If I knew how it is supposed to behave it would sure help.

It is better now than than a while back prior version would nearly stall my computer to near standstill for about 5 min with constant HDD activity every night when it would do the daily update. That fortunately stopped with a more recent update.
January 19, 2012 08:40 Re: Toolbarupdater.exe & Vprot.exe #188042
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello EdInTx,

I would like to know if all this constant activity is normal.

Please read carefully ondraploteny's post and provide us with requested dumps in order to analyze your situation.

ondraploteny wrote
described behavior about "hundred megs being accupied in RAM memory" should not happen in common environments and we are highly interested in the next analysis. Before you disable/uninstall AVG Toolbar, could you please provide us with dump (Windows XP or Windows Vista/7) of toolbarupdater.exe process occupying mentioned amount of RAM?

Thank you