Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic
December 3, 2009 16:26 Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #47021
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
GW100

Novice
Running Vista and Avg 9.0.709.

Scan has found 4 copies of Trojan Horse Generic_c.BMPT but cannot heal or remove them. Every time I try, an error message appears stating that ' moved object is bigger than the archive size limit'

I have ensured that there is no limit on the virus vault size to no avail.

I have gone to the actual file in Mozilla Thunderbird profiles where it is found and tried to delete all the files in that part of the profile and placed them in the Recycle bin. AVG moved these files to the virus fault but still found the original file in Thunderbird profile and cannot remove or heal them.

What should I do next?

Thanks

GW100
December 3, 2009 16:39 Re: Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #47033
BIG AL 43

Moved object is bigger than the archive size limit....

If AVG detects a malware contained in an archive file that is larger than 5 Mb it isn't possible to move it to the Virus Vault. Since archive files may contain backup files that the user created themselves, AVG doesn't automatically delete these since that could result in data loss for the user. Also, malware contained within an archive are not a threat unless it gets extracted and then ran or opened, so it isn't an immediate threat.

If the archive file contains important files that you need... extract the files needed from it, delete the malware file ( remember do not run or open the malware ) and then re-archive the file using the software you had made the backup archive with.

If the archive file does not contain any files that you may want to keep. Simply delete the file and then empty your Recycle Bin.

If you are having trouble locating where the archive file is located...

Open the Test Results (run AVG -> choose History menu -> click on the Test Results item) in the Test Results mark the line with the infection (click on the line with the grey exclamation mark icon) -> choose the Go to file button, you will be transferred to the archive file automatically.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

December 9, 2009 09:20 Re: Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #48875
GW100

Novice
GW100 wrote
Running Vista and Avg 9.0.709.

Scan has found 4 copies of Trojan Horse Generic_c.BMPT but cannot heal or remove them. Every time I try, an error message appears stating that ' moved object is bigger than the archive size limit'

I have ensured that there is no limit on the virus vault size to no avail.

I have gone to the actual file in Mozilla Thunderbird profiles where it is found and tried to delete all the files in that part of the profile and placed them in the Recycle bin. AVG moved these files to the virus fault but still found the original file in Thunderbird profile and cannot remove or heal them.

What should I do next?

Thanks

GW100
Well, having researched the net, I downloaded an on line email scanner called ESET and this managed to identify and clean all infections without the need to manually pull clean files out of a backup file first. If ESET can do this why can't a world leader like AVG do this? Thanks for the help.
November 27, 2011 10:18 Re: Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #182548
markony7

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote

Open the Test Results (run AVG -> choose History menu -> click on the Test Results item) in the Test Results mark the line with the infection (click on the line with the grey exclamation mark icon) -> choose the Go to file button, you will be transferred to the archive file automatically.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

hi, what if avg shows Trojans (Trojan horsePSW.Generic8. CLDX) in recycle bin, but its empty!!! how to solve this problem?? thank you
November 29, 2011 16:54 Re: Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #182859
Dusan Obert

Administrator
Hello markony7,

Please provide us with full path to the detected file or with scan results export.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
November 30, 2011 10:52 Re: Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #182916
markony7

Novice
Dusan Obert wrote
Hello markony7,

Please provide us with full path to the detected file or with scan results export.

Thank you

Thank you for reply, I've attached a Prt Scn of scanning results
regards
November 30, 2011 16:03 Re: Unable To Remove Trojan Horse Generic #182977
jirka82

Administrator
Hello markony7,

If the file cannot be removed by usual means, please scan your computer using updated AVG Rescue CD and remove the infection.

We also recommend updating to AVG 2012 for better protection level.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us