Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » Kobo Installer Falsely Detected As A Virus
November 20, 2011 20:51 Kobo Installer Falsely Detected As A Virus #181740
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
MCove

Novice
Hello everyone,

I've just gotten a Kobo e-reader, and I have tried to install the desktop installer on my PC for the reader, and AVG is detecting it as a virus, and won't let me install it. I apologize if someone has brought up this topic already--I did a search of the forums and Kobo did not come up.

Would someone be able to fix this or tell me how to let AVG know this is not a virus? The installer file came right off the Kobo reader itself......I'm not sure why AVG is having a problem with this?

Any suggestions?
Thanks much!
November 20, 2011 21:03 Re: Kobo Installer Falsely Detected As A Virus #181745
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
BIG AL 43

@ MCove

If this is a false positive it's your responsibility to report a suspected false positive to AVG.... Just follow the instructions....

Reporting suspected false positives to virus@avg.com.... Please follow these instructions What to do if you suspect a detection is a false positive.

Also if you think that a file is being detected in error, you can submit it here http://samplesubmit.avg.com/ww-en/false-detection on this new webpage

I'm not sure why AVG is having a problem with this?

False Positives are actually mistakes made by antivirus and sometimes antispyware utilities. The companies that are trying to protect us against the threats are under enormous pressure to get the malware identified and a fix created that there isn't enough time except, for very basic testing, before they must release these identifications and fixes. Add to this fact that the authors of the malware are also using the same program compilers and software libraries that often a good program may get misidentified as a bad one. Typically, the protection programs quarantine area that is made to safely hold a malware will allow you to restore these if you don't get impatient and empty it first. If you report the false positive to your protection company, they will be able to correct their mistake.

If users will not report a false positive then they cannot be corrected. AVG Pro versions do have the ability to exclude files/folders from being scanned but still if a false happens it needs to be reported instead of being ignored.

What many people fail to realize with the subject of false positives... is that ALL antivirus and antispyware programs are prone to these. This is because they must also try and detect unknown malware that has just been released also. Its a case of trying to be safe and making a false detection instead of not being safe and letting the systems get infected.

Another issue that many do not understand and is why a good program may get detected as a malware after an update is that the authors of the virus's and spyware also use the very same programs and code libraries that normal program authors are using... So many times regular programs have some of the very same code that malware may have.

The user has to ask themselves would they rather their protection program be a little bit paranoid and make a false detection... or would they rather it miss a newly released malware and end up with an infected computer instead.

(There are about 20,000 - 30,000 new malware found daily)

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support