Folder AVG Forums » Other AVG products » Family Safety » Compatibility With Avira & Comodo
November 15, 2011 10:13 Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #180993
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
the_moose

Novice
Hi, I've searched with "Avira" as the keyword and can't find anything connnected, so I hope this hasn't been asked before...

I am interested in putting AVGFS on our (Vista 32) laptop and my son's iPod (OS4). However, we already have Avira anti-virus and Comodo Firewall installed (both of them are the free versions). I might be misunderstanding what AVGFS does, but can it work alongside these 2 on the Vista computer, or will it clash?

TBH I've had a few issues with AVG security in the past and will want to stay with Avira, so please don't suggest I remove my current security programs to aid compatibility - I just want the added options that AVGFS brings, especially to the iPod side of it all.

Cheers, Moose.
November 15, 2011 13:33 Re: Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #181019
jirka82

Administrator
Hello the_moose,

Please be informed there are no known conflicts between AVG Family Safety and Comodo Firewall or Avira. AVG Family Safety processes may be needed to allow in Comodo Firewall configuration, if not done automatically.

Should you face any challenge while using these products together, feel free to contact AVG technical support or describe the experienced issue in details here on AVG Forums.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
November 15, 2011 14:26 Re: Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #181030
the_moose

Novice
Thanks very much for such a quick response. :wink:
November 15, 2011 16:10 Re: Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #181047
the_moose

Novice
Oh dear...

OK... Having got your go-ahead re compatibility with Avira and Comodo I paid for it and downloaded the AVGFS.

I installed it, and tried to run it - but the program repeatedly failed to let me past the login screen (see attachment). I checked (reset) my password online, and tried several more times - still with no luck. Other programs could access the internet, so the connection was not the issue.

I then did a bit more digging (yes, I should have done that beforehand) and found several threads that discuss the fact that AVG FS does not allow iTunes 10.5 to work properly. No matter who's fault that is (and I accept it's probably down to Apple) if it's a toss up between keeping AVG FS or the iTunes, then the Family Safety's got to go. :disappointed:

I know there's probably nothing you can do about it, but there you go. Just thought I'd explain why I'm going to uninstall without even looking into why the login kept failing.

It's a shame, because FS looked like just the sort of thing I was after to help my kids grow up understanding the dangers of the internet whilst being protected from the really excessive stuff.

Good luck with getting Apple to fix iTunes... if they do, and if I find out about it, I'll be back to you like a shot - trying to fix the login issue!

Cheers, Moose.
Fullscreen capture 15112011 155335.jpg
November 16, 2011 12:36 Re: Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #181153
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello the_moose,

In case you would like to solve "the login issue" please allow following processes in Comodo:

Inetcntrl.exe
bsectray.exe
setup.exe
bsecAV.exe
(All located in C:\Windows\System32\InetCntrl )

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
November 16, 2011 14:06 Re: Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #181179
the_moose

Novice
Thank you..

Thanks again for your help... unfortunately even when I follow the folder path as directed there is no folder with the name you suggest... the closest is called inetsrv - but that is empty even when I set the folder view to show hidden items. I am logged in as an administrator, in case that would make a difference.

For what it's worth, despite the fact that I haven't been able to get it going, this forum has been one of the quickest and most helpful I have ever used. Thank you for that.

Cheers, Moose.
November 18, 2011 13:07 Re: Compatibility With Avira & Comodo #181519
jirka82

Administrator
Hello the_moose,

We are sorry for inaccurate information provided before. These files are located in the C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG Family Safety\ folder. Allow the following files to participate on network traffic in your firewall configuration:

BsecAvUI.exe
BsecTray.exe
InetCtrl.exe
Setup.exe

Feel free to contact us again should you require further assistance.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us