Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » How Do I Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search?
November 10, 2011 05:56 How Do I Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search? #180398
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Crinblood

Novice
I use Firefox 8 and have Windows 7.
My problem isn't the navigation bar in the top right-hand corner of my screen, but when I try to use the search bar on my homepage. It used to just use Google, but now it uses AVG Secure Search. I have disabled the add in the Add-On Menu in the Tools Menu, but it did not do anything. I have already tried uninstalling AVG, but it did nothing, so I reinstalled it. I have also went into the about:config page and changed my keyword:URL to https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=, as well as changing browser.search.defaultenginename to Google. Some one suggested changing browser.search.defaultURL, but that does not come up when I try to filter it. I have also removed AVG Secure Search from the drop-down list in the Navigation Bar in the top right-hand corner. I would really appreciate some help before I have to do a System Restore just go to get rid of this annoyance.
November 10, 2011 13:40 Re: How Do I Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search? #180429
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello emmetbrown,

For help on your situation please refer to this post.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
November 10, 2011 19:32 Re: How Do I Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search? #180474
Crinblood

Novice
I could not find any help from that post. Could you be more specific, please?
November 10, 2011 21:41 Re: How Do I Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search? #180499
Dusan Obert

Administrator
Hello Crinblood,

AVG Secure Search functionality is linked to AVG toolbar.

Please follow AVG 2012 (incl. Previous Versions) Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions.
After complete uninstallation, change Search bar and Location bar search to Google and then reinstall AVG.
Make sure not to reinstall toolbar.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us