Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Update » Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place
October 14, 2011 01:18 Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #176652
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
derfberger

Novice
i keep restarting and keep getting a window that says to restart or postpone 10 minutes for up date

EDIT: email removed, protection against spam.
October 14, 2011 12:08 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #176708
BIG AL 43

@ derfberger

Have a look thro' these 2 links....
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=168505
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=160847

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 23, 2011 10:33 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #178151
r0001

Novice
Fix for constant reboot for update request on XP..

Hi,

I run Windows XP and had this problem years ago on an older version. The same happened again when I loaded AVG 2012 so I tried the same thing and it worked perfectly.

Please backup your system/create a restore point before attempting the following as it may cause problems and you need to be able to back track. Proceed at your own risk!

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG2012\Cfg

rename: updatecomps.cfg to updatecomps.cfg.old

run avg updater

reboot

That fixed it for me and I hope you have the same luck

R :laughing:
October 25, 2011 17:55 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #178409
mackerbootle

Novice
your computer needs to be restarted to finish the updating process..

I am having exactly the same problem keep getting this pop up message... "your computer needs to be restarted to finish the updating process".

I have tried those fixes in the links provided here and it doen't resolve the situation. It is only happening on 1 computer, I have 3 networked together, they are all running Win 7 Premium edition.

Only thing I can do is to ask it to remind me in another 24 hours to make it go away, then on restarting my computer it pops up again, it's only been like this the last day or so, been using AVG without any problems for years. I deleted the temporary update files as mentioned and rebooted, it did not fix it. Didn't try the suggested fix on this page as it was referring to XP and not Win 7 so do not want to chance it.

Mackerbootle
October 27, 2011 11:12 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #178685
r0001

Novice
Constant re-start required..

Mackerbootle, Like all intelligent people I say do so at your own risk but if you take all necessary precautions (like creating a system restore point, backing your system up before you do anything, renaming files rather than allowing them to be over-written etc. - just common sense), you should be OK, but as this info is free, you can't expect me or anyone else to accept responsibility if you do something silly like delete files from your machine by forgetting to do any of the above or pressing a wrong button.

Yes, I run XP (as well as linux, novell, MS SBS just for fun), but it is an open secret that most Windows Op systems are just a re-hash of the old one with more bells, whistles and usually a load of completely irrelevant things like another 400 screen savers (as if the existing 6 billion were not enough..... lol) added. It seems they add one or two minor useful features but mainly simply move everything around to make it look as if it is different - you've only got to look at the latest versions of MS Office to see that the old versions do almost exactly the same but the screens are made more "user friendly" - ha-ha-ha, and another few hundred highlight pen colours are added so you need four times the memory and ten times the hard drive capacity just to load the apps - excuse me while I have a laughing fit....., just got to wipe a laughter tear before I can continue typing..... I've been in computing since the 1980's (pre-Microsoft or internet days) when we had to design and build our own Novell IBM AT/XT DOS network (search on the web for prehistoric geek - lol), scripting batch files/menus and configuring apps manually. The problem is people don't look at what's beneath the bonnet these days.

Usually, unless it is a complete re-write, the same files are needed to run the programmes in each version and when a new op system or application version is introduced the files are often placed in a different directory to take account of the op system or changes to the way the programme itself works. For example, the older version of AVG used to have the updatecomps.cfg in the Programmes directory (I believe I had my original problem on a Win 98 PC & couldn't remember the file name which is why I looked at this forum - to no avail I might add, hence my post to help others), but in the current version it is in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG2012\Cfg directory within XP. And it could be in a different directory within Win 7. It may also be hidden in Win 7, so make sure you search in system directories as well as hidden ones. If your user account does not have administrator priviledges I suggest you log in as administrator before any updates are made as that may also be the problem, then follow the steps in my last post. Just make sure you record EVERY step you take VERY methodically to ensure you can do the exact reverse if need be. Make sure you log out of the admin account when done too.

It will almost certainly be the same file updatecomps.cfg (you'll soon know because if it exists it will have the same function), that is causing the problem for you as I believe that file tells AVG the status of the update and all you need to do is make a search for that file. When you have found it, write the exact location down so you know where to find it in future. The reason for re-naming the file to updatecomps.cfg.old is so that if anything stops working or you are not happy with the way it works you can simply re-name the file that AVG creates (which it does automatically when the programme is updated), to replace it to something like updatecomps.cfg.new, then rename the file updatecomps.cfg.old back to updatecomps.cfg so you are back to where you were before making any attempt to fix the problem - so no worse off than you were before.

Yes, you do so at your own risk, but if you take all sensible steps you'll be fine, good luck and please make sure you post your results back to help others with the same problem. :nerd:
September 10, 2012 15:27 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #216121
chrismdusa

Novice
r0001 wrote
Fix for constant reboot for update request on XP..

Hi,

I run Windows XP and had this problem years ago on an older version. The same happened again when I loaded AVG 2012 so I tried the same thing and it worked perfectly.

Please backup your system/create a restore point before attempting the following as it may cause problems and you need to be able to back track. Proceed at your own risk!

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG2012\Cfg

rename: updatecomps.cfg to updatecomps.cfg.old

run avg updater

reboot

That fixed it for me and I hope you have the same luck

R :laughing:

Thanks r0001, that fixed it for me. I'm using AVG 2012 on Windows 7 Home Premium and found the updatecomps.cfg file located at \\Computer\ProgramData\AVG2012\Cfg.

After following your instruction of renaming the file, I then ran the AVG updater which surprisingly took about 10 minutes. I waited patiently, let it finish, and told it to go ahead and reboot when it finished and said a reboot was needed.

Funny though, when the computer came back up and I opened a browser (I opened Chrome), it just sat there with a blank white page and a spinning circle (the new version of the Windows hourglass). My Internet was having trouble yesterday, so I gave it a minute or two. When no webpage showed up, I closed the browser, double-clicked the AVG icon to open the AVG control panel, clicked on "Components" at the top, and in the drop-down menu that appeared, I clicked on "Firewall". I then selected to disable the firewall, and then confirmed that decision. I then opened my browser, and the webpage came right up. I then went back and re-enabled the AVG firewall. After that, just to make sure everything was ok, I closed my browser and re-opened, all was fine. I went to different webpages...all fine.

Thanks for the help r0001.

Chris
November 23, 2012 03:33 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #220822
treeflamingo

Novice
same problem, tried the fixes...

Hello! I'm running AVG Free 2013 on Windows 7 Home Premium, and I've got the exact same problem. I've tried the solutions BIG AL 43 linked to above with no results. I also *attempted* to use this solution but was helpfully informed by Windows that I need administrator permissions to modify the updatecompgs.cfg file. I am the administrator. What on earth should I do? Is there anyway to, I don't know, run Windows Explorer in admin mode??

Frankly, this wouldn't bother me that much, but AVG creates a system backup every time it updates and prompts a restart, which I think must be the source of the file-movement-and-associated-changes-not-being-saved problem that I've been having ever since AVG started acting up. It's either that or I've got a ghost in my machine...

At any rate: please help!
November 23, 2012 12:10 Re: Keeps Asking To Restart For Updates To Take Place #220829
BIG AL 43

@ treeflamingo

This is the latest info issued by AVG.. Have a look @ Weekly Overview: 45/2012.. AVG requesting system restart repeatedly. Subscribe to this RSS feed if you want to be notified about new Weekly Overviews.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support