Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access
Page 1 of 2 12››
October 2, 2011 21:37 AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175156
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
bbroth

Novice
Hi,

I used to have AVG 2011 Free installed. I removed this using AVG removal tool and then bought and installed AVG 2012 Internet Security (Order Number 31-786930). My computer was then blocked from accessing the internet. Even after I disabled AVG I still could not access the internet.
I then removed AVG 2012 Internet Security and installed the free version of AVG 2012. This worked without any problems. To me this suggests some problem with the firewall in AVG 2012 IS.
Any advice welcomed!
October 2, 2011 22:47 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175161
BIG AL 43

@ bbroth

The AVG Team will probably request you to install IS 2012 again....

In conjunction with AVG Tech Support the AVG Team are also now monitoring this new 'paid for' section of the new forum so someone should spot your posting! They may enter the forum @ anytime but perhaps not over the weekend. It may well be Monday morning.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 3, 2011 11:35 AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175206
bbroth

Novice
Hi,

I have tried removing and re-installing AVG 2012 Internet Security several times. Each time it blocks access to internet and access is then restored when AVG 2012 IS is removed.
October 3, 2011 12:04 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175210
fahadhasin96

Hacker
Please try disable individual components of AVG (one by one) to check which component of AVG is causing the issue.

Best Regards,
Fahad Hasin,Hacker,AVG Forums
AVG Forums' member since - 22 May, 2011

How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 3, 2011 13:45 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175225
BIG AL 43

bbroth wrote
I then removed AVG 2012 Internet Security and installed the free version of AVG 2012. This worked without any problems. To me this suggests some problem with the firewall in AVG 2012 IS

Looking @ the component line-up your assumption may well be right. Try disabling just the firewall & test your theory.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
October 5, 2011 21:50 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175529
bbroth

Novice
Hi,

I went through problem with AVG Support and it is established that problem is with the firewall. I have sent them log files and am awaiting their reply.
Somehow I now have AVG 2012 Internet Security (paid) installed but without the firewall element.
October 7, 2011 18:30 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #175741
Small d

Novice
Check with your firewall settings i had this problem before, make sure the directly connected to the internet or home profile is selected.
November 7, 2011 13:29 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #180039
Alienwearer

Novice
Total internet block AVG IS 2012..

Hi,

I've been having terrible trouble with AVG IS 2012. When it was first installed (upgraded from 2011) it worked well, and without incident. After an update to 2012.0.1869 it has started to INTERMITTENTLY block total internet access. The internet will work for a couple of hours, then stop (still working fine on my iPad and laptop). After twenty minutes or so it will spontaneously start working again.

When AVG Firewall is disabled the internet works 100% (as I type this AVG Fiewall is off...)

When I say "the internet" I mean all web browsers (tested Chrome and Firefox), and all internet connected apps (Steam, iTunes, Windows Update, everything)

The error that pops up when web pages fail to load is "No reply from DNS"

The windows toolbar icon showing signal strength displays a small yellow exclamation mark when the internet is disconnected

As I said the problem is definitely with the firewall, as when it is turned off the problem is instantly resolved. I have double, and triple checked that all necessary applications are allowed access through the firewall.

The only blocked system services are Novell Netware, BranchCache, Win Remote Management, and Internet Information Services. The DNS server is allowed (though it was blocked by default... I opened it in an attempt to resolve the problem... should that be blocked?)

I checked the logs and it said that SVCHOST.EXE was being repeatedly blocked from accessing the internet... something stirred in the back of my mind that this is a required service and I therefore allowed it access, but that still didn't solve the problem...

I have also double checked that the Network Adaptor is listed as "safe" under the Defined Network list in AVG FW settings

So to summarise:
- All internet access is intermittently blocked on only this computer (all others on the network are unaffected)
-When AVG FW is disabled the problem disappears
-I have allowed the DNS System service full internet access as well as SVCHOST.EXE, and also tried switching the FW profile from "Connected through a network" to "directly connected to the internet"

Nothing works... please help :(
November 10, 2011 12:11 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #180415
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Alienwearer,

In order to analyze your situation please provide us with more information (what is situation with profile allow all, Msinfo output, etc)

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
November 13, 2011 03:22 Re: AVG 2012 Blocks Internet Access #180740
IanGoobs

Novice
Solution? Maybe...?..

Ok, I think I might have a solution, and spotted where the problem is.

I have the same issue, after updating my AVG all internet access is block, however services like Skype and my friends were viewable through Steam, I assumed something was blocking port 80 (HTTP).

But then I saw in my firewall settings, that it was using a "Small Home/Small Office" mode, where for some crazy reason it's blocking ALMOST EVERYTHING apart from communications between my other computers!

I went into the Firewall component of AVG and switched it over it "Allow All" as a Firewall Profile, even though the firewall is on, I'm going to assume that this is going to be risky, especially if I receive any mal-ware that tries to get an out going connection. Still, I hope this solves something...

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I forget to add, when I was on that list of blocked network stuff. I tried to click on the "Set as Safe" button, but it's disabled.
firewall.jpgfirewall2.jpg
Page 1 of 2 12››