Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » Rootkit Device mfeavfk01.sys
July 24, 2011 15:51 Rootkit Device mfeavfk01.sys #169564
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
mcmiles

Novice
I have rootkit device mfeavfk01.sys on my computer. When I select to delete it I get this: "Object is hidden by a rootkit technique (which is usually used by a malicious software). Do you really want to remove?

Will delete it resolve the issue? How do I effectively remove this rootkit? Your help is appreciated since the only post on this forum does not have a resolution.

Thank you,

Windows version: Windows 7
AVG version and virus db version: 10.0.1390 and 1518/3785
Other antivirus software installed / previously uninstalled: McAfee and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
The exact error message you are getting: \device\mfeavfk01.sys, Hidden Driver, Objects is Hidden,
July 25, 2011 11:08 Re: Rootkit Device mfeavfk01.sys #169590
dusano123

Hello mcmiles,

mfeavfk01.sys is remnant file belonging to McAfee.

Try to completely remove McAfee as described on their support site.

If the issue persists afterwards, you can try to remove the file using AVG or you can choose to simply ignore the detection.

Please note that not all rootkit detections are a threat. You can read more in here - Anti-Rootkit False Positives part.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
September 17, 2011 12:12 Re: Rootkit Device mfeavfk01.sys #173234
grannysheena

Novice
Thank you so much for your info - I have recently had the same issue and you have put my mind at rest! I'm not very technically minded and McAfee's explanation for removal sounds a little complicated to me. So I shall be ignoring the detection as you say it isn't harmful!
Thanks once again, Sheena