Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » Real Time Protection?
Page 1 of 2 12››
September 3, 2011 08:09 Real Time Protection? #171914
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
crawford58

Novice
Does avg 2012 provide real time protection against spyware and malware? if it does do i still need other programs like spybot and windows defender?
September 3, 2011 08:52 Re: Real Time Protection? #171921
fahadhasin96

Hacker
Hello crawford58,

crawford58 wrote
Does avg 2012 provide real time protection against spyware and malware?

Yes, Of course, this is what it is meant for.

crawford58 wrote
if it does do i still need other programs like spybot and windows defender?

No. You don't need any other program. AVG 2012 is capable of protecting your computer alone.

Also, you should not have more than one active antivirus programs at the same time. The active components will conflict with each other. Generally you won't see the effects of the conflict but you will make both programs less effective none the less. Choose one antivirus program and uninstall the other one.

More information about this can be found here : Before Installing AVG

Thank you

Best Regards,
Fahad Hasin,Hacker,AVG Forums
AVG Free Forum member since - 22 May, 2011

How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 3, 2011 10:42 Re: Real Time Protection? #171933
BIG AL 43

crawford58 wrote
do i still need other programs like spybot and windows defender?

Unfortunately no security solution can detect 100% of threats as new variations are created daily. So it is possible that some undetected infection can get into your computer. However, AVG Technologies virus lab experts are working non-stop to make sure that AVG is updated as swiftly as possible. Therefore if you do become infected with something AVG isn't detecting there's nothing wrong with having other anti-spyware utils such as Spybot S&D, Windows Defender or Malwarebytes installed to scan your system but don't use their real-time protection.

Just for your info reporting undetected malware to virus@avg.com.... Only option available as an AVG Free user.... Please read and follow these instructions What to do if you suspect a file, registry setting or website is infected and not currently detected by AVG.

Also if you think that a file is not being detected, you can submit it here http://samplesubmit.avg.com/ww-en/sample-scanning on this new webpage.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 5, 2011 00:18 Re: Real Time Protection? #172030
crawford58

Novice
Big AL why do you need to turn off other real time protection? would you use tea timer that comes with spybot?
September 5, 2011 05:59 Re: Real Time Protection? #172038
fahadhasin96

Hacker
Hello crawford58,

crawford58 wrote
why do you need to turn off other real time protection?

This information is actually already a part of my previous post (post #171921) in this thread.

The active components of two real time protection will conflict with each other. Generally you won't see the effects of the conflict but you will make both programs less effective none the less. Choose one antivirus program and uninstall the other one.

Best Regards,

September 5, 2011 06:38 Re: Real Time Protection? #172041
crawford58

Novice
I know not to run two anti virus programs at one time, i am asking about anti spyware and antimalware programs. why do you need to turn off real time on say windows defender and what about tea timer with spybot?
September 5, 2011 06:53 Re: Real Time Protection? #172043
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello crawford58,

Reason why you should not use multiple Anti-virus programs is their Resident shields (Real-time protection) and lots of Anti-spyware programs contains also Real-time protection (tea-timer in spybot).

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 5, 2011 09:58 Re: Real Time Protection? #172054
BIG AL 43

crawford58 wrote
why do you need to turn off real time on say windows defender and what about tea timer with spybot?

You should only have 1 real time protection installed on your system i.e. AVG....

Windows Defender.... Have a look @ FAQ #4369 http://free.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4369#num-4369.

Spybot S&D has a feature called TeaTimer. If this is enabled it can affect the installation of AVG. The later versions of Spybot S&D have TeaTimer enabled by default. To disable TeaTimer you must switch it to the Advanced mode and go into the Resident area of the settings... To check bring up Spybot S&D->Mode->Advanced mode->Tools->(Double Click)Resident->(Disable)TeaTimer.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
September 6, 2011 00:37 Re: Real Time Protection? #172131
tomdkat

Novice
Apparently I'm the exception to the rule stated above in that I've experienced NO problems, and I mean ZERO problems with having resident protection from AVG and other non-anti-virus applications, like Spybot S&D and SUPERAntiSpyware.

I was posted above that multiple resident protection programs WILL conflict with each other. I would like to revise that statement to be CAN conflict with each other. I've run AVG along with Spybot's Teatimer AND SUPERAntiSpyware's resident protection (the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware that is) without incident.

AVG's resident protection blocks and deals with the threats it knows about, SUPERAntiSpyware's resident protection simply kept IE's home page from being changed, and TeaTimer would warn about certain registry settings that were attempted to be changed by an installer or something. No conflicts at all and the system (Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)) is very stable.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend supplementing AVG with at least one anti-malware application, namely Malwarebytes. I can't tell you how many times I've sent a missed detection in to AVG for analysis, based on Malwarebytes detecting a threat.

Of course, everyone should be careful and choosing good applications with solid reputations to protect their computers from threats.

Peace...
September 6, 2011 08:33 Re: Real Time Protection? #172143
fahadhasin96

Hacker
Hello tomdkat,

Please again read my post #171921 i.e.

Generally you won't see the effects of the conflict but you will make both programs less effective none the less.

Thank you

Best Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12››