Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » Tracking Cookie Detected Constantly
March 20, 2011 22:28 Tracking Cookie Detected Constantly #153739
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
catcutbat

Novice
im running windows xp 64 sp2

this has been a persistent nuisance, and ive tried quite a few things, nothing seems to work-
currently i have the following installed:
cookienator, adaware, spybot s&d, comodo antivirus, avg free 2011.
primary browser is firefox 3.6.1.5

any time i access the cookies file in firefox, for instance: every time i open the browser, every time i run cookienator, etc., avg free 2011 pops up with the following:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4128/avg1b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sometimes it pops up a couple times even if i hit ignore.

then sometimes, most recently today, i will get this message immediately after from avg:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8114/avg2b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

could this be caused by conflicting anti spyware apps? i was not aware that avg would conflict with a progam in that way.

anything come to mind?

thanks in advance!
March 20, 2011 23:05 Re: Tracking Cookie Detected Constantly #153745
BIG AL 43

i have the following installed: adaware, spybot s&d, comodo antivirus, avg free 2011.... could this be caused by conflicting anti spyware apps? i was not aware that avg would conflict with a progam in that way.

Hello catcutbat,

adaware, spybot s&d.... AdAware has a feature called Adwatch & Spybot S&D has TeaTimer. If these are enabled it can affect the installation of AVG & they should be disabled. The later versions of Spybot S&D have TeaTimer enabled by default. To disable TeaTimer you must switch it to the Advanced mode and go into the Resident area of the settings... To check bring up Spybot S&D->Mode->Advanced mode->Tools->(Double Click)Resident->(Disable)TeaTimer. Some free versions of AdAware won't have Adwatch http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=19804.

comodo antivirus.... You should never have multiple antivirus programs installed since they will conflict with each other. See this post for more information as well as uninstall/cleanup util links Before Installing AVG Free Edition.

Tracking cookies are not really a threat, more information can be found in FAQ 2439 and also on wikipedia.
You can disable detection of tracking cookies:
In AVG open Resident Shield and uncheck Scan for Tracking Cookies

Thank you

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
March 21, 2011 20:07 Re: Tracking Cookie Detected Constantly #153827
dusano123

Hello catcutbat,

Detection is correct.
Any time you or any other program accesses Firefox cookies, Resident Shield scans them and detection window is displayed.

You can disable detection of tracking cookies as described in FAQ 2439.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ