Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem
October 22, 2010 02:41 AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #119307
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Halvin

Novice
Following installation of PC Tuneup 2011, the PC would not function following a fix run of PC Tuneup.

The PC runs XP SP3, Trend Micro PC-cillin Security 14 and Spybot 1.6.2.

I had to restore files and registry then uninstall the AVG 2011 antivirus and PC Tuneup products using safe mode in order to get the PC working again. :surprised:
October 22, 2010 06:52 Re: AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #119309
drnstvns

Novice
I encountered the same issue. The PC Tuneup completely deleted my .dll cache and Windows couldn't start up. I had to run the PC TuneUp recovery tool and then uninstall it and restart the computer. I am running the same system as you so it maybe an issue there but I hope someone checks out this horrific issue soon because your average user may not know how to undo what PC TuneUp has done and really be freaked out! Yikes!
October 22, 2010 14:12 Re: AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #119311
jirka82

Administrator
Hello,

Halvin wrote
...Trend Micro PC-cillin Security 14 and Spybot 1.6.2.
More AV solutions on single computer could cause system issues as well (ref. info).

AVG PC Tuneup contains backup of taken changes as described in the FAQ 3906. It also creates system restore points (if the system feature is not disabled).

Thank you.

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
October 23, 2010 10:49 Re: AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #119313
queryone

Novice
I have same problem - it also crashed my computer "operating system not found"
Later loaded - but then went to screen with words about problem needing to close.

Finally it will load but it is SO VERY VERY VERY SLOW = unusable
If I can get google up - to type in search field, after typing first letter the eggtimer appears for long time so can't type remainder of word..

Also each shutdown cancels the driver for my wireless card. Fortunately it is on my desktop so each time I switch on I have to unzip the driver again.

Aaaaaaaaaargh! I have been happy with the AVG free virus checker, seems to work well, so I thought a tuneup from AVG must be good as well but now I have a serious problem.

So went to add/remove and took out the AVG 2011 tuneup. During this it came up with a message "would you like to have the Rescue Centre backups removed as well? You will not be able to undo the changes made by the software at a later time if you choose to remove the backups" so I clicked on NO- and kept a note of this info.
Read the info from the link on your page - but it says go to all progs, avgtuneup, to get the backups - now I don't have the avg tuneup but as I clicked on the NO for removing the backups - where are they?
Why as the tuneup destroyed my computer? This is really awful, need some help please.
October 23, 2010 22:07 Re: AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #119341
dinor8er

Novice
AVG PC Tuneup-Free Version..

I have had the AVG PC Tuneup free version running on the tab that says "Resource Usage". How do I stop ot whatever I have to do with it it has been running about 24 hours? How to stop it and How to finish the tuneup process with out losing anything? :cool:
December 13, 2010 19:29 Re: AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #137093
jazzmaster001

Novice
I recently upgraded to avg free 2011, and took advantage of the free one time tuneup on avg pc tuneup. I went through the different diagnostics, there were 2400ish problems. I thought that I had hit the fix button for all those problems. I went to control panel to uninstall pc tuneup, and it tells me that the problems are not in fact fixed, and do I really want to uninstall the program. The free trial was for one day only, so I can't try to hit the fix again. Now I am worried that pc tuneup has messed up my computer and I don't know whether to just delete the program or what to do.
December 13, 2010 19:44 Re: AVG 2011 PC Tuneup Problem #137097
BIG AL 43

jazzmaster001 wrote
Now I am worried that pc tuneup has messed up my computer and I don't know whether to just delete the program or what to do

Have a look @ jirka82's post re FAQ #3906 Restoring changes made to your computer by AVG PC Tuneup.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ