Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers
October 20, 2010 10:17 XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers #117281
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Sambobo

Novice
When installing AVG 2011 I recieved the fatal error message, so i downloaded AVG 2011 from the website & started again. It downloaded to the part when i had to reboot upon rebooting and continuing installation A windows XP hardware installation alert apeared saying;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The software you are installing for this hardware

Non-Plug and Play Drivers

Has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatability with Windows XP. Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system, either immeadiatly or in future. Microsoft strongly recommends you stop this installation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could either Stop or continue, i clicked stop as i thought this could be just another error with downloading. So i started again and it did all the installation, deleted AVG 9.0 and then the same message (above) appeared again.

Checked Microsoft website and it says "Improperly changing the startup type of a boot device or system device can cause the system to become unstable or to no longer boot, or cause the device to stop working altogether. You should fully understand the instructions before changing this setting. " about disabling Non-Plug and Play, so i really don't want to do this.

Can you explain what could be going wrong with downloading?
October 21, 2010 12:48 Re: XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers #117967
jirka82

Administrator
Hello Sambobo,

please make sure that you have installed all available updates for your operating system first (http://update.microsoft.com). None of the AVG drivers is unsigned so the message should not be displayed unless the root certificates are outdated in your system. Try to install AVG again after the system is updated.

Please provide us with AVG 2011 installation log files and the C:\Windows\setupapi.log log file for analysis of the issue. Also, please create an export of the following registry branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Please compress all files to reduce their size.

How to create a registry export:
- Run the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the above-mentioned branch.
- Right-click on it and select Export.
- Name the file and save it.

Thank you.

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
November 30, 2010 21:44 Re: XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers #131839
ItchyFlea

Novice
Getting same problem..

I am also getting the same problem. I have already followed the advice of installing the updates for root certificates. I install AVG on behalf of customers as its a program I recommend.
In this case, the customers machine was already fully up to date as Automatic Updates are turned on. The root certificates was an optional update and did not solve the problem.

If it helps, the customers computer had recently been infected with the rogue Antivirus Action, which I removed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. (I also repaired some of the other changes the rogue made that MBAM was not able to solve)

The attached zip contains the setupapi.log file and the exported registry information.
The computer is due to leave my shop in 6 hours time. Any information as what I should do would be much appreciated.

I have another computer in which AVG 2011 needs to be installed upon. I will add another reply if that one also has this issue.

EDIT: Fixed typo
December 8, 2010 16:18 Re: XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers #135849
jirka82

Administrator
Hello ItchyFlea,

we are sorry for delayed answer. Due to the high traffic on forum, many our responds cannot be delivered in timely manner. (The announcement)

Unfortunately, editing a post removes its attachment currently. Could you please provide us with the previously mentioned files in a new post?

It seems that this verification process is failing on catalogue digital signatures. Could you please try to delete all INFCACHE.1 files found on your hard drive prior to installing AVG? You may use the Windows search facility to find all these files.

In case the installation would fail again, please provide us with the AVG installation log files additionally to the above-mentioned files.

Thank you,

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
December 12, 2010 06:25 Re: XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers #136681
TheNormNorm

Novice
Plug and Play Windows XP Stops Installation..

I'm getting the plug and play error and windows advises me to stop the installation. My windows stuff is up to date and I renamed the infaq or whatever files to temp files so this is not the issue. I have attached the logfile. Please let me know if you have solved this problem.
AND... now I get the message here that the upload you request is larger than 512k. Would you please contact me so I can email it to you or tell me the solution?
Thanks!
December 12, 2010 15:32 Re: XP Installation Alert - Non-Plug And Play Drivers #136771
BIG AL 43

TheNormNorm wrote
now I get the message here that the upload you request is larger than 512k

As an alternative have a look @ this 'How-To' link How To Provide Forum Moderators With Files & use a public online storage service.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ