Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Standalone LinkScanner 9.0 Free Edition » [SOLVED] Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0
August 25, 2010 22:50 [SOLVED] Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #105897
Sabbir

Novice
When a computer is fully patched with all the latest updates and patches from Microsoft Update and supported OS i.e. Windows Vista SP2. With a fully up-to-date Microsoft Security Essentials and if a user wants to run AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0, it tells the user to uninstall MSE, because it will cause conflicts.

For other antivirus such as McAfee Internet Security and Panda Cloud Antivirus (Free Edition) and running AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) it works alongside and it works perfectly fine. Can someone from AVG fix this issue. Thanks.
August 26, 2010 05:56 Re: Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #105935
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello Sabbir,

potential conflict of AVG LinkScanner and Microsoft Security Essentials should be solved in next AVG LinkScanner product version.

Thank you
***************AVG Team
September 5, 2010 12:22 Re: Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #107143
langr

Novice
MS Security Essentials - How to Avoid the Conflict..

Until the new release comes out, you can avoid the conflict IF you install LinkScanner BEFORE installing Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE). This has been successful on several machines.

You may want to try uninstalling MSSE, installing LinkScanner, then re-installing MSSE (have not tried this procedure - let us know if it works).
September 25, 2010 15:23 Re: Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #109631
DrummerCT1

Novice
As a user of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), I encountered this "compatibility" issue. So, as suggested in this thread, I uninstalled MSE, and was then able to install LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.x, and then reinstalled MSE. It all seems to work fine, no more "compatibility" "error" messages. As far as I can tell, the two products seem to co-exist (based on rather limited usage so far, though). I am curious about what is considered incompatible in the first place, other than LinkScanner simply noticing MSE on the system? I'm using XP SP3 fully patched, Firefox 3.6.10 and mostly I ignore IE8.
September 27, 2010 10:07 Re: Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #109831
jirka82

Administrator
Hello DrummerCT1,

current version of Microsoft Security Essentials does not conflict with AVG LinkScanner according to our tests. It will not be detected as conflicting during AVG Standalone LinkScanner 2011 Free Edition installation (which will be released soon).

--
EDIT by jirka82:
The first release of AVG Standalone LinkScanner 2011 Free Edition will still detect the MSE as conflicting application. This will be rectified with the first cumulative program update.
--

Thank you.

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Knowledge Base
September 28, 2010 23:23 Re: Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #110055
DrummerCT1

Novice
Thanks for the info. It happens that I tried a little earlier today to install AVG Standalone LinkScanner 2011 Free Edition on a different computer that also has Microsoft Security Essentials, and yes, LS did detect it and wouldn't install. I will try to first uninstall MSE, then install LS, then reinstall MSE. Presumably that will work. Any issues with that approach? Any idea when the 2011 cumulative update will surface? thanks
September 29, 2010 09:00 Re: Compatibility Issues Between Microsoft Security Essentials And AVG LinkScanner (Free Edition) 9.0 #110079
jirka82

Administrator
Hello DrummerCT1,

I will try to first uninstall MSE, then install LS, then reinstall MSE. Presumably that will work. Any issues with that approach?
- This should work as expected.

Any idea when the 2011 cumulative update will surface?
- Release date has not been specified by product management yet, unfortunately. I would personally expect it after a few weeks (guessing only).

Thank you.

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Knowledge Base