Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Update » AVG Update Slowing Down Computer
August 9, 2010 14:59 AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #102991
pagejimmy

Novice
Good afternoon I think AVG is brilliant but why does it take ages for my computer to start working

its says update manager working but everytime i start up it takes ages for me to actually use my computer because it says update manager operating.

Im not ungrateful its a great tool love it, but it does slow things down DRAMATICALLY. to the point its not usable for ages much longer the 15 mins each time i start up

can i do anything about this.

thanks very much, I dont want to disable it, again i say AVG is really good, but for this issue

thanks.....
August 9, 2010 15:28 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #102995
BIG AL 43

Check this out....

• Empty temporary update files.
Run the AVG Free User Interface (double-click the AVG Free icon on your desktop).
Open the Tools -> Advanced Settings... menu.
Navigate to the Manage option in the Update branch.
Press the Delete temporary update files button.
• Check conflict applications.
• Restart and try updating again.

If that doesn't help....

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?.

Also please provide us with the AVG update log.... Have a look @ this 'How-To' link How To Provide Us With The AVG Update Log File. Bear in mind, assuming that you've posted in the correct forum area & you are indeed using AVG 8.5 Free, you'll be dealing with AVG8 files.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
August 10, 2010 14:36 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #103191
pagejimmy

Novice
Hello And Thanks..

Hello im the guy that sent u a message about it taking too long to use his computer because of updating process of AVG

well i emptied the files u mentioned and will monitor if it makes a difference

also u said u wanted info on system where hope this is what u require

windows xp home edition service pack 2

broadband connected via virgin provider

only avg program using

ram is 512 2.40khz (yes its not massive) but the problem only started recently!

also is it possible to reduce how many progs are running at startup
i have been into task manager but i am wary as to what is essential and what isnt!!

theres about 50 progs running!! so it says also have prog called start up faster in use

with 3 start up progs in that is that prog any good is it necessary had it years

I also have prog called scotty, I do defrag and clean out recyle bin also have
program called c**p cleaner its very good.

advice please thanks very much
August 10, 2010 16:24 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #103199
dusano123

Hello,

Try to perform repair installation with latest installation package.

If the issue persists, please provide us with GMER Autostart output and with update log file so we can advise you further.

Thanks
August 17, 2010 21:55 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #104331
pagejimmy

Novice
Hello and Thanks for u help..

Im using AVG9 I have emptied the said files and re installed avg 9

in my last post i mentioned what my system comprised of if ud like more info please ask

as the problem still there the up date manager takes ages to become active or show its self on my system and in doing so make my computer un-workable becouse its loading up i tried and used ur gmer tool but compter froze. its very frustrating this I have even thought about diss abling the update manager and re enabling as and when required but this is not a good idea i know!!

please can u help..........best wishes
August 18, 2010 05:35 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #104373
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello pagejimmy,

please provide us with MSinfo32 and Autoruns outputs for closer analysis of possible slowdown culprit.

How to get MSinfo32 output:
- Click on the "Start" button.
- Choose the "Run" option.
- Please type the "msinfo32" (without quotes) command to the command line and confirm by clicking on the "OK" button (or press Enter).
- After the tool is launched, please choose the "File" menu and the "Save..." option.
- Choose a name and provide us with saved file in an archive (zip file).

Thank you
***************AVG Team
August 18, 2010 18:42 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #104535
pagejimmy

Novice
Thank you for your help..

Thanks very much im attaching what i think you asked for

information on my system ref AVG Updater slowing down my computer

i may be completely wrong

so heres the info..thanks very much your advice is welcome..

i tried to send attachment says form validation failed field is invalid max length 512 kb exceeded

what next!! I did as u ask and created a folder for information thats the message I got back confused
August 18, 2010 19:12 Re: AVG Update Slowing Down Computer #104539
BIG AL 43

You've now verified that you're actually using AVG 9.0 so your thread has been moved to that forum area. Your thread is now situated here http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=104541.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan