Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 7.5 Free Edition » AVG 8.5 Seems To Be Built Broke
August 3, 2009 21:10 AVG 8.5 Seems To Be Built Broke #10193
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
srconelley

Novice
AVG SOFTWARE 8.5 (PAID VERSION) BREAKS WINDOWS; AVG 7.1 DEFIES UNINSTALLATION.

These problems have been encountered on various XP Pro installations (of my own) and many dozens of other XP installations (friends’, clients’ and vendors’). The OS breakage is inconvenient, leaving the afflicted box without virus protection and unable to access the net. What I paid for the software is dwarfed by the time wasted in debugging it. As I’ve talked to dozens of folks with the same problems, I seek to rid my systems all instances of AVG and to move on. Dozens of friends and colleagues would appreciate the help too.

After installation and use of AVG 8.5, OS breakage is commonplace; I've been through it with dozens of PCs (mostly XP Pro) on different networks. In a few cases AVG uninstallation and reinstallation has worked and we’re up and running again. However, in most cases, AVG's uninstall/reinstall tools fail. Typical result is an apparently functional AVG with crippled Internet Explorer, Outlook, Firefox, etc.

VERSION 7.1 CAN'T BE UNINSTALLED

This problem is especially ugly on machines that have been equipped with older versions of AVG. For example, after uninstalling AVG free and installing AVG 8.5, version 7.n cannot be uninstalled (not seen) by Windows or any of the following uninstallers:
AVG's uninstaller fails to fix the problem.
Microsoft's msicuu2.exe fails to fix the problem.
CCleaner 2.22.968 fails to fix the problem.
Revo Uninstaller fails to fix the problem.
Perfect Uninstaller fails to fix the problem.

ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL MCAFEE SECURITY SUITE IS NOT AN OPTION

Attempts at installing McAfee's Security Suite fail when AVG's remnants are detected. Best universal solution identified so far: OS reinstall.

Please advise as to a fullproof means of removing AVG Anti-Virus 7.1.

Thanks

Steve Conelley
----- email address removed to protect you against spammers -----
August 3, 2009 22:00 Re: AVG 8.5 Seems To Be Built Broke #10203
rdsok

OK, 1st things 1st.... Unless you are a real fan of spam emails... we recommend that you never publicly post your email address's... spammers harvest email address's from publicly posted web pages, blogs and forums and then use that info to send out spam... so I've removed your email address to protect your inbox from this... Also we (AVG Free forum moderators) don't reply direct to email addresses....

The AVG Free Forum is a ‘user’ forum where users can share information and help each other with AVG Free issues. The forum is moderated by volunteers (other AVG Free users).

For support for the paid versions you will need to contact AVG Tech or Sales support from their main website http://www.avg.com/support-technical ...

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

August 4, 2009 05:32 Re: AVG 8.5 Seems To Be Built Broke #10257
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
just a small note - removal procedure for AVG 7.5 could be found at this thread.

Please be informed that version 7.1 is very old and version 7.5 is not supported already. Then AVG 7.5 is uninstalled automatically during AVG 8.0/8.5 installation.

Thanks
***************AVG Team